PDA

View Full Version : Trailer trouble

TBroccoli
08-16-2004, 11:00 AM
The hub on one of the wheels of my double axle trailer is always getting hot. I replaced the bearings and coutinually grease. Now I have that same wheel locking up when trailer is empty. It always happens when trying to go to the ramp to take the boat out of the water. I can go backwards and the wheel turns free. Then going forwards it will lock up after a revolition or two. I'm getting good at backing the trailer far distances but people really look at me funny. Why is the wheel locking up???

Digger
08-16-2004, 12:00 PM
electric or surge brakes? If surge your actuator may be sticking, there should be one or two zircs on the shaft housing, give them a few squirts. Then go forward and backward with the trailer a few times stopping abruptly, that should free it up. Or maybe your brakes need adjusting.

TBroccoli
08-16-2004, 01:05 PM
The wheel in question has brakes. They are surge brakes. Sometimes if I go backwards long enough then forward I can get it to roll free. It has gotten worse over time. It never sticks right after launching the boat. Only after sitting all day unloaded.

Donzigo
08-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Where's CUDA? He'd know about this one. He's the curator and Grand Imperial Wizard of "TRAILER TROUBLE". I think every kind of trailer trouble has happened to Cuda............somehwere along the lines.

Formula Jr
08-17-2004, 01:22 AM
Matt already solved it. From the description, its the actuator to the master cylinder being sticky. But I'd replace the brake fluid also.

TBroccoli
08-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Can't find any zerks on the main actuator on the tongue. I did find what appeared to be a zerk on the inside of the drum. Is it a grease zerk or a brake bleed?

gcarter
08-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Sometimes the master cylinder won't release pressure. Sometimes the piston seal, when it slides back when the actuator load is released, won't uncover the relief hole. The same thing can happen to car master cylinders. While this problem can usually be fixed, :smash: it's usually easier to change the master cylinder. However, since it's only one wheel, maybe it's a stuck piston at the wheel.
:wavey:

DONZI
08-18-2004, 05:54 PM
You can test it in the driveway.
Jack up one side then install your ball/tongue, push it down.Check to see if wheel is locking up .Then lift & ck for release. Then the other side.Where you mention only one side dragging,either one brake out of adj. or wheel cyl. sticking.I usually end up rebuilding my wheel cyls. every spring.I also coat the cyl. pistons with Neverseize.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Brakes..

gcarter
08-19-2004, 04:16 PM
One other thing, if there are any hoses in the hydraylic lines, usually not I think, old ones can act as a check valve and keep pressure on a brake.