PDA

View Full Version : my depth finder stoped working

daboys
08-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Not sure why or what would cause it to fail. 2001 28 ZXO with gaf depth finder, sender unit looks OK but moves up or down in the mounting bracket - have tried different angles etc..., wire is still their - I get a display but no info - any thoughts - my guess is the sender unit is a sealed unit that is not repairable but not sure if it is broken or just out of align. I dock in an area that has lots of bottom stuff that gets kicked up would this affet the [erformance of the depth finder???/ :shocking:

5PMSMWHR
08-18-2004, 07:59 PM
where's your transducer mounted? or maybe a better ? is, "is your transducer still mounted"

daboys
08-19-2004, 07:48 AM
The tranducer is mounted external, just to the starboard side of center approx 1/4" from bottom - elongated hocky puck style, sits in a bracket extending away from boat. It pivots from 90 degrees or flat to approx 30 degress off horizon. wire to transducer is present and looks to be in good shape - thanks for the reply.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-19-2004, 07:52 AM
I think there is a reset procedure, check your manual, if you don't have the manual it is online at the Gaffrig site.
Try that if you have power, they are pretty durable units, and only work OFF plane.
Bryan

MOP
08-19-2004, 08:19 AM
You can improve low speed readings of transom units by setting the angle of the transducer slightly up a few degrees at the forward edge to keep the water forced against its surface, the best is to get it inside the hull. Even transom mount units will read through the hull. The newer torpedo style suck, the best are the square edged mounted tight to the transom. If mounted tight with the gap filled with silicone to keep it smooth with the running surface you can get decent results.

Phil