PDA

View Full Version : How Sweet it is!

MOP
08-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Finished rub rail install and painting drive, was gloomy as hell but could wait no longer. Called Bonnie said get ready we are going boating, thought she was coming thought he phone. Picked her up and off to the launch ramp, was a bit spooked was very low tide and ramp was slimy and slick as eel ****. But I was to into it to give up backed her down and got boat off though the wheels did slip a little the posi rear worked fine. Fired it off rechecked everything and got out on the bay, was bit choppy not 16 weather but no prob for 22. Ran a good hour stopping and rechecking stuff all was good, ended up going up into Riverhead to try to see some friends. Got the typical Donzi stares, waves and comments when we could hear them(boat is a bit loud). Let Bonnie run it back the 5-6 miles to near the ramp then took it in she was not ready to do docking. Was even lower tide when we got back a super test for the posi, backed in had to use a little power to get back on the trailer. She eased up the gooey ramp like it was dry at last except for the Audi I am finally done with 4X4, 30 some odd years of bad mileage and big repair bills! All in all I am happy as a Pig in **** with both the 22 and the 2 wheel drive suburban. Almost can't wait for new motor and drive!

MOP

gcarter
08-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Congrats Phil!! :biggrin.:

boldts
08-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Congrats Phil! I'd like to see a whole boat picture if you have one now that she's back together. All your tantalizing project pictures have been great, but I'd like to see a complete shot.

Towed my 22 with a 2 wheel drive Chevy Tahoe and never had any trouble getting the boat out of the water. Even at the Jamestown Resort on Cumberland which is very steep! I recently put Synthetic oil in the engine and have improved my gas milage incredably. Non towing on the highway, I'm getting almost 22 mpg with a 350 V8.

MOP
08-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys, took a first floating pic today! Film so it will have to wait a bit. My son in law has a new Chevy Sub 4X4 he gets 12-13 town 16 road if careful, I get 16 town and 20 on the road plus in the snow I go just as good. Mine is a high miler so I am running Castrols mix reg/syn oil, will be dumping tranny and engine this week time for both to get ready for 1000 Islands trip. Still trying to get some loose ends done and Wax on Wax off!

rayjay
08-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Glad to hear it's running and in the water!!

I'll bet that makes you feel REAL happy. :yippie:

Good luck with it.

Number of years ago I saw an old 2 by 'burban that had fold down front license plate with class II receiver behind. Looked home made, but nicely done. Possibly just a modified chassis hitch. Owner said it was for wet ramps to put drive wheels on dry portion of ramp. Guy was pretty ingenious. He also showed me a trailer dolly that he was modifying to be a removable extension for front of trailer so you could get the trailer way down on ramp without getting vehicle near water. You wouldn't tow with it, just use it when launching or retrieving boat at ramp site. He was into wind driven boats which don't have the power to drive the boat up onto the trailer, so you really have to dunk the trailer to float the boat onto it.

rayjay

penbroke
08-16-2004, 07:26 AM
:beer:

Frank

MOP
08-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Thank Mr. Poodle I was riding HIGH, was cruising up the river at about 30 while beating teeth with you, have to say when I got into the marina areas and close in among the boat that was the best. A Donzi is no matter where we go a Donzi, got a lot of thumbs up, cool boat, real fast from both parents and kids, the boat sounds like it will do 80 but is more like mid 50's real life mouse motor you know! Scott you and a few other got me bitten with the 22 at the last 1000 Island event and I do truly thank all of you.
It was just a tad snotty out on the bay, what a difference in ride and handling. I was very please carving tight turns and laying flat some wakes that would have jarred my eye balls in the 16, the 22 reminds me of my 23 Formula but lighter and more agile. We have rain here all week so I will not get to play again until I get up to the St. Lawrence. Still have loose ends, just enough to get me a bit crazy!

Phil

I am always wishing others happy Donzi Daze, mine have finally come!

Donzigo
08-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Congratulations Phil..................nice story

Hey George Carter, you're next...........

MOP
08-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Congratulations Phil..................nice story

Hey George Carter, you're next...........

Thanks Rich! I hope to be running as well as Donzido Jr. by next season, mouse motors can do well!

PS I finally used some of the grommets for my project.

Phil

Gary
08-16-2004, 01:45 PM
MOP,
Congrats on splashing.
I'll be looking for you at the ramp:)

MOP
08-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Getting closer! 2 hours in the bilge got it just passable and about 10 pounds lighter, tried all kinds of stuff 18 years of paint over grease just don't go away. Got $20 worth of hardware, fuses and a ton of wire ties. Gave it a good scrub now ready for wax, upholstery came out pretty decent. Put a couple of scab patches over the bad spots in the tub, hoping my bartered carpet makes it here for 1000 Islands. Gave the trailer a good once over I thought, Go to tow to the house where I could get a few more hours in with good lighting and trailer lights shorted out went back to shop was closer. Had to fix the three light bar was shorted to chassis did that by drop light all better now called it a night.

2 more days and off to the St. Lawerence :yippie:

Phil

olredalert
08-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Phil,

-------Pleased as punch you have a boat back! Wish Jan and I were going to be in 1000 Islands to see it but thats a working weekend for us down in Carlisle at the Corvette show. We will miss everyone a bunch...........Bill S

MOP
08-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Phil,

-------Pleased as punch you have a boat back! Wish Jan and I were going to be in 1000 Islands to see it but thats a working weekend for us down in Carlisle at the Corvette show. We will miss everyone a bunch...........Bill S

I don't feel bad for you, I love the Vettes had a couple. Have not had one in a long time, wish to hell I still had my 53 wife was pregnant needed the bucks. That thing was so cool except for the Powerslide! Would have been a rip with 3:70 gears and a 4 speed. Should have sold my gas coupe, 6's were dying SB's were starting to kick butt.
We will miss you hope to catch you along the way, really need to bum a ride on that sweet boat.

Phil

Dr. Dan
08-18-2004, 05:31 AM
:smash: Phil glad to hear everything is coming together....

Bill when you and Jan are in Carlisle....ya gotta let us know...I only live 45 minutes from there!!!!! Been to the Vette Show a few times!

With luck I will still be going to 1000 Isles....

Doc :beer:

JimG205
08-19-2004, 10:12 AM
:yippie: Good job Phil-anxious to see the finished product-saw a hull and a pile of parts back in March!Enjoy your trip-have a safe one,will talk when you return. :jestera: