PDA

View Full Version : New generator

Cuda
08-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Yesterday morning, I went to Home Depot and bought a new 6250 watt generator. My old helper and friend of mine was staying here, so I had him go out and get it started. I kept waiting to hear it run, and didn't for quite a while. Finally, I went out to see what the problem was, he said it wouldn't fire. We weren't sure which direction the fuel shutoff was supposed to be. I got some starting fluid, and sprayed it in. It fired up, blew a big ole cloud of smoke then died. So I knew the shut off needed to be in the other direction. Choked it and spayed some more starting fluid in it. It fired up and spewed a big ole cloud of smoke. I had to keep it choked a long time to keep it running. I let it run until I knew it was hot, then shut it off to see if I could start it again. Wouldn't start without choking it again, which I thought was unusual, but maybe just the nature of the beast. Today, I was getting the oil/water mess out of my 20 Sc (see post in performance) and told Chuck we would put diesel and oil mixture back in the crankcase to cut the emulsified oil. Right when I mentioned diesel, Chuck got a strange look on his face. He asked where the diesel was. I told him that Debbie had gotten me one gallon of it yesterday morning when she was getting extra gas in case we needed the generator. Well, now the hard starting generator problem was solved. He had poured the gallon of diesel in the generator. When it wouldn't start, he thought maybe that wasn't enough to make it run, so he poured two gallons of gas out of the 5 gallon gas can in with it.

Apparently, a ten horse Briggs and Stratton will run on "dieseline". :)