PDA

View Full Version : Hatch scoop

tmdog
08-14-2004, 05:30 PM
This is how I solved the problem of a high engine after alignment. I really did not have too many options.

tmdog
08-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Here are a few more pics.

Fish boy
08-14-2004, 05:41 PM
tmdog,
it looks great! Just what exactly is that in your engine compartment- looks like a stable full of horses. Got some details?

Fish

tmdog
08-14-2004, 05:56 PM
This sbc 350 has been modified 4 times. The final solution was special vortec heads, XM 270 cam and a AED 750 carb. that has been modified. No choke and unneeded parts taken off by the factory. I believe they supply some NASCAR teams. Running a Turbo 25. HP is around 375-400 ponies.

BillG
08-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Tmdog
Where did you get the air scoop? Looks very nice on the boat along with the nice engine compartment.

Bill G

Moody Blu'
08-15-2004, 11:49 AM
tmdog, I hope you have a scoop plug for it, two reasons.

1, sound level is lower
2. spalshes wont go in there on rough days.

taking out the scoop on a nice day is always fun. I usually put mine on when im in a loong no wake zone. taking it out is always fun, cuz usually people are starin at you. Shortly after you take the plug out your hammering down so its a cool thing to do :biggrin.:

tmdog
08-15-2004, 12:49 PM
The scoop was bought thru Unlimited Products. Web site is up22.com. First time I ran the Donzi after install, the sound level was the same. Of course I was not a back seat passenger. The scoop did seem to give more power. Although I did not run full throttle. No plug needed on this lake unless it rains on way home.

Legend
08-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Great looking boat you have.

I am considering adding a scoop to my 18' Classic...can you et me know what the part number is for the particular scoop from unlimited products....it seems as if your scoop bolts onto the hatch right over the cut-out area.

tmdog
08-20-2004, 05:19 PM
I wish I could say it was easy to attach scoop, not so. Most scoops have flanges which you can attach to hood or hatch. The type in the pic had no flange and had to be added or fabricated so as to attach. Also the scoop had to be ground to fit the contour of hatch. That grinding was minor compare to the other mods that had to be done.The model I used was a SC713. There are many models to choose from on their web site. The project took some time but happy with the outcome.
This is my new pup. He is 7mos old. Thought I'd share a photo with y'all.

blackhawk
08-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Great looking scoop and dog! I've often wondered if letting more cool air under the hatch would improve performance a little. Definitely good for at least 50 "trailer hp"!

Is your pup a great dane?

tmdog
08-21-2004, 08:25 AM
No, the pup is an AKC Red Doberman. Bought him from a Dobe breeder in N. Ga.
Back to the scoop thing, I have a 5" high K&N arrestor and just doesn't match the height of the scoop. Just got a 1 1/2" spacer by Wilson Manifold. After install filter should suck more air from scoop. Will update in future if performance is enhanced or a failure. By the way the Wilson thing is a carb spacer.

tmdog
09-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Finally got the results w/ the 5" K&N and hatch scoop and that was worth an extra 300 rpm. I was somewhat surprised, the extra cost was worth it. :yippie:

Lenny
09-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Good looking dog :yes: I have an 8 month old Pure black German Shepherd he can play with.

PLATINUM1936
09-14-2004, 09:14 PM
The scoop looks great, I put one on my 22c, I used one from Summit. It to took some work to install.