PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Noises and power steering ???? AARRGGHH

mphatc
08-13-2004, 07:45 PM
It's been a dry summer . . and I guess it's going to finish w/o any boating . . . :umbrella:

Finally I had the time to run the new 302 all assembled to the Mercruiser Bravo . . . tonight with a garden hose connected to the water suction line as I had no muffs to fit the Bravo.

In 10 minutes of running time, mostly at 2000 rpm, as it's a BRAND NEW engine the drive top cover got so hot it was uncomfortable to touch. At idle the drive sounds like like really noisy gears . . . . if I tilt the unit up while running I feel serious vibrations through the whole boat.
I suspect problems in the upper gear box, as the alignment is absolutly perfect and the gimbal bearing is new. Any suggestions on how to narrow this down? Shall I jusat bite the bullet and buy a new unit?? (which would need to wait till next year, this project has killed the wallet!)

I bought this thing used . . . should have bought new . . and any adjustment from the seller is unlikely as it was purchased in December of 2003.

Next problem

When I turned the steering wheel one way it was real smooth . . but the other way it pulsed and jerked. I have the new one piece aluminum Mercruiser Power Steering assembly connected to a BMW PS pump through Merc lines.
Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this? Too little pressure or to much? What pressure does a US power steering system run on? Sorry, I play with German stuff except this toy . . :biggrin:

Mario
anyone want a Corsican?

MOP
08-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Pull the top cap and look inside, go from there. It will be cheaper to redo than trash.

Phil

MOP
08-13-2004, 08:50 PM
I put this one seperate as I am not sure if the new style Merc PS unit has a shuttle valve similar to OMC and Volvo, is there a grease fitting by the pivot point near the cable. To switch pressure from R to L all units have to have a sliding valve, when you get it running again jerk the wheel side to side the pivot must have movment. Another possibility is the cable motion is restricted, this is an OMC problem but may relate if the units are basicly the same. The steering cable must be allowed to move, if it is jammed against the side of the boat or clamped after the bend at the transom the PS unit will not function correctly.

Phil