PDA

View Full Version : Boat won't start

txtaz
08-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Need some help on the starter circuit. Recently the boat started not starting. LOL It would just click, as in starter solenoid click. I wiggled the throttle, put in forward then reverse and after awhile it would start. I figured the gear position sensor was off. When I got home, I put an ohmmeter on it and it showed .02 and still would not start. I then turned on the lights, blower and bilge pump and saw the voltmeter go to 11V. I figured the battery was dead, so I put it on charge. Guess what, it's fully charged and levels good. Now, I'm going thru my Seloc manual looking for the location of the starter solenoid and it's nowhere to be found. There is only a reference to it. Also the location of the starter was not shown, but tracing out the wire shows it on the stbd side. I would assume the solenoid is close by hiding under the headers. Is this correct? BTW battery terminals are clean. Other connections TBD. No hydromoter so can't check specific gravity.
Am I correct in assuming the starter solenoid is bad? Am I missing something?
Ohh, the boat has 110 hours on it so I figure the starter is good. It has only been used in fresh water.
For the guys hanging out in FL under an umbrella with their laptops, ie Poodle can you please send me an original Mercruiser manual for my 97 350 MAG. Of coarse after things settle out for you from the storm.
Hope all goes well for you guys. Let me know if you need help. We have some maintenance people in Ft. Myers who can jump in.
Wes and Jennifer

mikev
08-13-2004, 10:56 AM
starter solinoid is atached to the starter the little round thing on the top of it close to the block were the hot wire from the battery attaches. to see if its bad turn the key on and take a big screwdriver and arc between the terminal were the positive battery lead connects to the other large terminal if it turns over its a bad solinoid.

txtaz
08-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks Mike,
I will give it a try. I have a feeling that is the problem.
Time to pull the exhaust manifold. AGAIN!!! :banghead:
Wes

MOP
08-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Wes you have two solenoids 1 assist near the harness plug and one on the starter, the assist is usually the one that goes first. Follow the Bat hot lead to the motor it should first got to the assist then to the starter. If by some very slim chance the assist was removed it should be replaced, not having an assist solenoid will due to wire length cause starting problems. I am 99% sure it there, if bad spring for the real Merc item. I tried Sierra and one other both failed very quickly.

Refer to wiring diagram yours will differ slightly but the start circuit will be the same.

http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page250.html

Phil

Cuda
08-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Check the ground on the block?

MOP
08-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Wes you can lay across the top of the motor and hang your head down in the hole and look things over, my 16 was as tight as yours I changed out the starter that way at the 1000 Islands last year.
Boys please try to keep sparks out of the bilge! The starter can be jumped remotely at the assist, jump Red to Yellow with Black tracer(OK I am color blind use the diagram colors). Everyone who owns a boat should go out and buy a remote start box and a volt ohm meter and learn how to use both and how to hook them up.

MOP
08-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Actually you can not jump at the starter!!!! The voltage has to pass through the assist solenoid to get to the starter

Thats a lie on GM but holds true on Fords!

txtaz
08-13-2004, 11:44 AM
I pulled the exhaust manifold. Here is a pic.
The big wire goes directly to the battery (well cutoff switch). I don't see an assist in there. It also looks like the boats +12 is coming off the melamine block. Could be a breaker but I've never seen one like it.
PS Yeah Phil I think you are right. I'm trying to find the starter slave solenoid. Those usually go bad. Beats me where it is. BTW, you are a hell of a man to hang over the motor to swap starters. I would get a head ache from doing that.
Can I use an automotive solenoid? The future misses wants to go tubing on the weekend.
Thanks for the help.
Wes

txtaz
08-13-2004, 12:10 PM
I found the yellow/red wire going to the main solenoid from the starter slave solenoid but cannot trace it because it goes thru a wire loome going towards the stern. Anyone know where the starter slave is mounted? I looked everywhere and can't find one.
Cuda, the block ground is good. I cleaned all connection just to be safe.

Thanks,
Wes

RedDog
08-13-2004, 12:58 PM
In your picture, the block the battery cable is bolted to is a "one-time" fuse. If it is blown you won't have a "click" or power to anything.

Rootsy
08-13-2004, 12:59 PM
did you load test that battery? just cause it shows 12 1/2 Volts doesnt mean it will hold up under a load...

txtaz
08-13-2004, 02:01 PM
RedDog, Thanks for the info. I'm always learning something new.
Rootsy, That's the next step for me. The battery was new in Jan 04 according to the previous owner. But I would prefer to check it out.
Scott, Thanks but no dice. I crawled all over that engine. There is nothing by the main harness except a VERY small ignition coil (might have to do something about that) on the stbd side. Puters on the port and hard to see below it. I got my friggin head stuck between the manifold and the hull (no need for jokes here). AND just then my neghbors walked out of their house.
I'm off to load test the battery.
Thanks for the help.
Wes

txtaz
08-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Well it wasn't the battery. I put in a new group 27 and it still only clicks. BUT, I did find the aux solenoid hiding in the box where the puter and connectors are stashed.
Now to find a solenoid.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Wes

MOP
08-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Wes the assist should be on the front end of the motor not far from the plug usually real close to the red push button breaker. Have you tried energizing it at the starter, also try hooking a volt meter up to the red/yellow at the starter then hit the key. If you have no voltage it is not getting past your mysterious ASSIST! The red/yellow should be visable up near the breaker.

Phil

txtaz
08-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks Phil, Great idea with the solenoid. I have good power to it but not out after turning the key and I hear it click. I must be getting old or lazy because I should of thought of that. My assist solenoid is located in the box with the puter and that matches the diagram and part numbers I found on www.dougrussell.com. Thanks to Poodle for that tip. I should now have a new solenoid tomorrow morning and it looks like the future misses will get to go tubing. For those in rural areas in a bind, NAPA carries Mercruiser parts but you need the part number. They also deliver overnight. I will only use it in a bind though. I would prefer to trust Poodle to get me what I need. He has been perfect in every thing I've needed.
Also, I cannot recommend Seloc as a repair manual. There should be location diagrams and more detail for engine specific items. But if someone wants mine after the new Mercruiser manual gets in and doesn't mind having to dig for information, I will let this one go at a killer price.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
Wes
PS, I promise to post pictures of the future misses flying thru the air on her tube. LOL

MOP
08-13-2004, 05:27 PM
Bravo!! Like I said go for the real deal the after market crap dies to soon, The Poodle knows and will supply the best!

Phil