PDA

View Full Version : jabsco 302 waterpump and outdrive questions

71-sixteen
08-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi guys,
this is my first posting.I have a 1971 16 foot donzi with a holman and moody 302 that I have had since 1984. It has been sitting for about 10 years and now Iam starting to resurrect it. It has the volvo 250B drive and aluminum 14 3/8 x 23 prop.I was removing the bearing from the Jabsco 11850-80 waterpump and broke the housing.Does anyone have a jabsco pump they would sell? If I had 2 I could combine the parts to make a good one.
Also, does anyone know of a kit or anyone who has added power trim to the 250 drive? Perhaps adapted mercruiser pieces?
thanks for any help Jeff Robb

Moody Blu'
08-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Hi guys,
this is my first posting.I have a 1971 16 foot donzi with a holman and moody 302 that I have had since 1984. It has been sitting for about 10 years and now Iam starting to resurrect it. It has the volvo 250B drive and aluminum 14 3/8 x 23 prop.I was removing the bearing from the Jabsco 11850-80 waterpump and broke the housing.Does anyone have a jabsco pump they would sell? If I had 2 I could combine the parts to make a good one.
Also, does anyone know of a kit or anyone who has added power trim to the 250 drive? Perhaps adapted mercruiser pieces?
thanks for any help Jeff Robb

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1164&page=3&pp=15&highlight=jabsco+water+pump

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this link has ALL the info you need to get what you want. I linked you to page 3 but the thread is funny.

Boy this thread is old, matty boy's broken keyboard LOL

boldts
08-12-2004, 06:02 PM

I used to have a 69' 18 Classic Holman Moody edition with the 302 and 250 Volvo. To my knowledge, at least I was never able to find a kit, no one makes a power trim kit for the 250.

I sent my electric tilt part to a company to see if hydraulics could be adapted and used in place of the electric tilt. They said a hydraulic cylinder could be adapted, but they didn't think it would withstand the pounding and pressures that would be placed on it. I also saw an older offshore race boat that had Volvos on the transom. I didn't get to talk to them, but these guys fabricated a bracket that conected to the drive so that it turned with the drive and then used outboard Mercury trim cylinders going back to a rod that attached the drive itself to allow the drives to be trimmed.

When I described this to the guys at the shop who were looking to add a hydraulic cylinder to the tilt mechanisum, they said the cost would be astronomical and probably not very cost effective. So, I gave up on that thought and my father added material to my 250 trim ears where the rod goes through to support the drive and we moved the outside, highest trim hole out about a half inch to get a little more trim that way. I also found a stainless right hand prop that by drilling and tapping the shaft to except a long hub prop I was able to adapt and run with the help of a great prop shop here in Columbus, OH. Boat speed increased, but not by any 5 or 10 mph and if I had it to do again, I'd probably try to find a 270T Volvo drive if possible. You could put the HM badge on the 270T and most wouldn't even know it wasn't original. It sure would be closer to original though than sealing the transom hole and recutting for a black drive with trim. Just a matter of what your wanting to do and how original you want to keep your Donzi.

Have you tried doing a search on the Internet for a 250 with trim? I found some pictures of a pretty clean looking setup that someone had accomplished a number of years ago. If I can find it again, I'll post it here for you.

On the Jabsco, I think you can still buy a brand new one. I think they are still available. Again though, it's been a long time since I did a search for any of that stuff.

MOP
08-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Not sure if you have seen the 23800 Jacsco pump in the URL below, it is a replacement for the old style crank pumps. They can be bought for just over $100, install could not be simpler and is drilled to fit to any Ford or GM crank. You will need to add a stabilizer bracket to the block that attach's where you see the round boss on the right side, it uses a rubber bushing held in place by a bolt and washer.

Phil

http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/JABSCO/jab1.htm

Moody Blu'
08-13-2004, 11:54 AM

I'd probably try to find a 270T Volvo drive if possible. You could put the HM badge on the 270T and most wouldn't even know it wasn't original. It sure would be closer to original though than sealing the transom hole and recutting for a black drive with trim. Just a matter of what your wanting to do and how original you want to keep your Donzi.

yep, thats what i did, I have one sitting here :yes:

MOP
08-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Broque don't tell me you did not install that setup YET! Shame Shame you have had nearly a year!

MOP