PDA

View Full Version : 22 classic outdrive spacer

scott snider
08-11-2004, 09:12 PM
just purchased 22 classic 502 magnum efi. noticed it has a 2 inch spacer between lower and upper unit. is this factory installed to adj. x demension i think it might be.i want to replace the drive so i like to find out, called factory tech line they acted like i was from another planet.told me to call merc. merc said it would have to be installed at factory.

please help thanks

Mr X
08-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Did you buy it brand new??
If not then it would NOT have to be installed from the factory......either way, I can not imagine why it would be in there???
Can you post a picture of it??

roadtrip se
08-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Scott, if you can, post a picture or two of your transom and the drive.

My guess? Some people converted Blackhawk boats, which had a higher X dimension to Bravos and put the spacer in to get the drive down deeper. Quickest give away that your boat might be a BH conversion are the exit points of the exhaust almost to the rub rail, a bigger gas tank set back in the boat taking away your storage locker in the floor, and k-planes for tabs.

My preference would be to get the spacer out of there and see how she runs. My shortie drive made my Classic a lot better handling boat. You might see the same improvement.

Good luck,

Todd

Lenny
08-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Also, as Todd mentioned, on BH boats you can look underneath and at about 8-9' forward of stern you will see a fairing line across the beam of the hull and "something completely different" :) I got rid of the other post... TOP SECRET... :D

scott snider
08-13-2004, 09:40 AM
thanks for the information on the drive spacer. after looking over the boat and useing the information you provided me it indeed looks like its a blackhawk.the exhaust tips are set up higher the fuel tank extends into the storage locker and it has a set of k planes.the boat is a 1994 did they make many that year? sinces iam already in the process of a complete restoration and cant operate the boat with a bravo 1 without a 2 inch spacer i guess ill just have to wait.how did these boats operate with the blackhawk drives maybe i should look for one? is there a specific drive model number the donzi must use? sorry i cant post any pictures my camera just broke. any information would be appreciated. thanks

RedDog
08-13-2004, 10:04 AM
...cant operate the boat with a bravo 1 without a 2 inch spacer ...

Not sure why you say that. It would be well worth trying it with the spacer removed. Likely would be much faster

scott snider
08-14-2004, 09:37 AM
i definitly will try the boat with out the 2 inch spacer.problem is i have to buy a drive any way my drive was stolen of my 217 mirage. so i put the donzi drive on the mirage to get me back on the water two inch spacer slowed mirage down about 5 miles an hour. i know i need to buy a drive but dont know if i should consider blackhawk or another bravo one.donzi wont be ready till next spring boat is completly disassembled.just want to know how these boats preformed with the blackhawk drive and if i should look for one? thanks

thriller
08-14-2004, 11:07 AM
They are a great drive if you treat them right. Otherwise they:uzi:

Can be had for about 4000 US if you can find one. Props are another 1200 US (rare)

Change gear oil every 20hrs.
and be sure to have K planes preferably the 280's

ps...never throw it in reverse at 60mph cuz they go boom:bawling:

Greg Maier
08-14-2004, 11:58 AM
From experience....it depends on what kind of water you are running in. If you are running in a smooth, glassy lake, I would go with the Blackhawk. Most of the failures of Blackhawks that you hear of are the result of the boat leaving the water. On the other hand, if most of your boating is in bigger water, I would go with a Bravo Drive. Just my 2 cents.............

scott snider
08-15-2004, 08:06 AM
what prop pitch works best on the blackhawk drive?i know where i can get a new drive and a set of 29 pitch props.iam going to keep the 502 efi stock, except for stainless marine exhaust and some slight internal engine modifications mostly to increase torque.has any one put mark 4 heads on gen 5 block? i have a nice set of modifide 781s big o ports with 219 /188 valves these heads made unbelieveable torque on a 454 magnum. but i read possibility of internal coolant leaks.i think they would work good on a 502. thanks

Greg Maier
08-15-2004, 09:08 AM
The Donzi Blackhawk Spec'd 31 inch props. They are very hard to find. They pop up on Ebay once in a while for $1100 or so. 29's and 27's are more abundent out there. You will get about 72 mph with 29's, close to 80 with 31's.