PDA

View Full Version : Damn Storms ! ! !

Sport
08-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Looks like it's time to batton down the hatches guys !

Good luck Florida left coasters !

http://www.baynews9.com/WeatherMaps.html?SEVERE#

Click on the "Hurricane Cords" icon.

Sport

Thank goodness we bought that big ass generator a few years ago ! I can run the house for about 48 hours with the fuel I have stored right now.

Lenny
08-11-2004, 10:08 AM
How come some are girls' names and some boys? "Bonnie and Charley" ?

Fish boy
08-11-2004, 10:25 AM
How come some are girls' names and some boys? "Bonnie and Charley" ?

How come they are not clever enough to call them bonnie and clyde?

Fish boy
08-11-2004, 10:30 AM
just clicked on the link DOH!!!!

guess I need to spread some soap all over my boat on friday cause it's gonna get rinsed really well on saturday. :D

Donzigo, you gonna try out that new trailer and take Big D to safety?

Sport, make sure you unplug the big screen, footbll season is coming and I need a place to hang out. ;)

Sport
08-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Will do ! ! !

Sport

Forrest
08-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Oh s#i+!!! :shocking: Looks like Bonnie is heading our way. The Jim Cantorie of the Weather Channel is at nearby St. George Island doing live reports. :bawling: Pulled the X-18 off the boat-lift last night and got everything off the floor and on saw-horses at the house on Ochlocknee Bay. Heading back down this afternoon with plywood and and a screw gun. It looks like Bonnie could cause coastal flooding depending on the tide when it hits. Also, still need to secure the crib and boats in town, too.

Man, all this crazy weather is making it tough to get my Magnum ready for Eufaula.

gcarter
08-11-2004, 12:02 PM
We might get wet here too.

pmreed
08-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Looks like it's going to be mostly a rain event for you, Forrest :umbrella: ; I'm hearing only a 1 to 2 foot surge. I was thinking about you panhandle guys when I first saw Bonnie's projected track. Now Charlie may have a lot to say to the rest of us in "Sunny?" Florida. He could hammer the Tampa - St. Pete guys, maybe Smokediver further south, or just maybe dump on Poodle and company in Miamuh.

Phil

David O
08-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Forrest
If you notice, in the past where ever Jim Cantorie goes, the storm no goes.
This could be a good thing for you but maybe a bad thing for me.
Lucky for us we should be on the west side with you guys on the east side will getting the worst of it.
Will be pulling boats off the island this afternoon just in case.

Fish boy
08-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Never too early to get prepared.

2 bags doritos- check
10 pack beef jerky- check
4 cases of beer- check
Ice- check
battery operated blender- check
margurita stuff- check
surfboard- check

OK, ready for the hurricane :crossfing

David O
08-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Fish
you forgot a few things

FEMALES

Fish boy
08-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Fish
you forgot a few things

FEMALES

Thanks David, but I have been stock piling the necessities. ;)

Forrest
08-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Bonnie: NOAA Weather (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_astorm2%2Bshtml/102053.shtml?): Three- to four-foot tide surge. Fifteen to eighteen seas. Five-foot surge possible in Panama City bays. Will make landfall at about 03:00 EDT. High tide here will be at 02:21 EDT and low tide is at 06:30 EDT. Great that the tide will be going out at the time, but not taking any chances. This house is in a V20 flood zone and the area has been flooded by storm surges four times since 1988.

Dax McDavid
08-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Good luck to Florida and the Keys. My Boss is in the Caymans right now. Sounds like yall get ready for storms the same way we do on the Texas Coast :wink:

:us-texas:

Forrest
08-11-2004, 03:18 PM
From the NOAA site, 7:00 PM update:

WTNT32 KNHC 112358
TCPAT2
BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM BONNIE INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 15A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
7 PM CDT WED AUG 11 2004

...BONNIE MOVING NORTHEASTWARD ACROSS THE NORTH CENTRAL GULF OF
MEXICO...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR PORTIONS OF THE FLORIDA
PANHANDLE AND NORTHWEST FLORIDA FROM DESTIN EASTWARD TO THE MOUTH
OF THE SUWANNEE RIVER.

A HURRICANE WATCH AND A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAIN IN EFFECT FOR
THE WESTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE FROM WEST OF DESTIN WESTWARD TO THE
ALABAMA/FLORIDA BORDER.

AT 7 PM CDT...0000Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM BONNIE WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 27.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 88.7 WEST OR ABOUT
140 MILES SOUTH OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. THIS IS ALSO
ABOUT 295 MILES SOUTHWEST OF APALACHICOLA FLORIDA.

BONNIE IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST NEAR 12 MPH. THIS GENERAL
MOTION...WITH A GRADUAL INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED...IS FORECAST TO
CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...BONNIE IS
EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL ALONG THE CENTRAL PANHANDLE OF FLORIDA
THURSDAY MORNING.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 65 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.
STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AND BONNIE COULD
BECOME A HURRICANE LATER TONIGHT OR THURSDAY MORNING. AN AIR FORCE
RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT IS CURRENTLY INVESTIGATING
BONNIE.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES FROM THE
CENTER.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1001 MB...29.56 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 2 TO 4 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE
EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE RIGHT OF WHERE THE CENTER MAKES LANDFALL.

ADDITIONAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES...WITH
ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS...CAN BE EXPECTED IN ASSOCIATION WITH
BONNIE.

ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE ALSO POSSIBLE BY THURSDAY MORNING OVER THE
FLORIDA PANHANDLE.

REPEATING THE 7 PM CDT POSITION...27.1 N... 88.7 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHEAST NEAR 12 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 65 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1001 MB.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR
PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
10 PM CDT.

Speed-Racer
08-11-2004, 04:45 PM
I think I'll take the Cigarette 46 Rough Rider out for a spin... :jestera:

Florida has been due for a storm(s), and these are going to effect the whole state. :rolleyes:

Mr X
08-11-2004, 05:49 PM
We are all boarded up now.
Getting gas for the generator tonight.

Lenny
08-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Forgive me Forrest, but high Flood Tide at 02:21 and storm at landfall at 03:00 doesn't seem ideal to me. That is a 39 minute ebb. that can't equate to much. Here we see at extremes (regular daily tide) about 12 foot highs in the winter and about -3 ' in August at the extreme. So there is a 15' spread between our extremes. But, there are NO storms that effect any of the daily tidal occurences.

What is an average daily high and low tide spread there for you guys?

Fish boy
08-11-2004, 07:21 PM
I keep hearing about this storm thingy... guess this must be the calm before the storm.

Forrest
08-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Forgive me Forrest, but high Flood Tide at 02:21 and storm at landfall at 03:00 doesn't seem ideal to me. That is a 39 minute ebb. that can't equate to much. Here we see at extremes (regular daily tide) about 12 foot highs in the winter and about -3 ' in August at the extreme. So there is a 15' spread between our extremes. But, there are NO storms that effect any of the daily tidal occurences.

What is an average daily high and low tide spread there for you guys?

No, not ideal Lenny, but at least the tide will be beginning to go out. Normal tide data for Ochlocknee Bay on 8/12/2004 02:21 is 2.44 feet and low is 1.55 feet at 06:30. Only a foot difference. In this case, the high is not as high as it normally gets which is about 3 to 3.5 feet where 0.0 is mean low tide. Yea, a one foot drop may not do anything. That why I just now finished screwing and caulking a plywood water dam across the front and back door door-jams. It's a block house that been waterproofed and the door-dam trick has worked for the locals in the past. The tidal surge rises for only about 30 minutes the recedes quickly, so the dam only has to work for only a short time. I'll let you know how it comes out in the morning. :crossfing

Mr X
08-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks Poodle,
I have an outside hook up on the side of my house.
Its not 50KW but I can run everything in the house,
and yes I have the cut off breaker. That would not be pretty without that!! :shocking:

Lenny
08-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Poodle, here in the woods we all have gensets for the 3-4 wintertime half day outages. It is illegal to plug one into a 220/110 wall outlet. A transfer switch or throwing your mains (200 A) is the only way. Our Hydro crews here and in Canada ( :rolleyes: ) take the Neutral on the pole lead and strap it with Hot-Sticks to the 14.4K HOT (or whatever voltage) before working on anything. If you have a genset running and you are anal enough to not understand what it is you are backfeeding, or how, then basically they blow-up/shut-down your genset instantly prior to touching the primary.

Here you best be sure you are on the INSIDE of the mains and open to the field. :D

(consider the fact that the heart paddles run at 1/1000 of 1 amp @ 110/115V and you are supplying about, in your case Poodle, 50KVA@220, :eek: 227 amps @ 220V 1PH. :eek: ) Glad you have it hooked up right and respect the guys on poles. :)

boxy
08-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Good luck guys, hang on tight....

Donzigo
08-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Yup, Fish..........picking up the new trailer tomorrow morning, "Big D" will be on it and infront of my house, first thing in the morning.

Wanna go over to the Bridgeview for lunch?

Rich

Team Jefe
08-12-2004, 05:04 AM
Hang tough guys...We are all thinking about you....good thoughts and prayers.

"Lord look after our brothers and sisters.....and their boats"

Most everything else can be replaced :)

smokediver
08-12-2004, 05:48 AM
Well ... Looks like the Charlotte harbor area is going to get hit .. Wouldn't you know I gotta be on shift today ... Probably be held over for friday .... Oh yeah , be carful with those candles !

gcarter
08-12-2004, 06:40 AM
The sky over my house this morning looks like Fish's photo above. I guess I'll have to wait till Friday for a change.
Yesterday afternoon we got the worst afternoon storm of the season. I thought it might be related to something but then it cleared off and has been nice ever since.

Fish boy
08-12-2004, 06:50 AM
Yup, Fish..........picking up the new trailer tomorrow morning, "Big D" will be on it and infront of my house, first thing in the morning.

Wanna go over to the Bridgeview for lunch?

Rich

Hey Richard,
I am still on standby to fly outta here this afternoon depending on what happens with Charlie. Also have a few boats in a few places to take care of, so it looks like a pretty busy day. have to take a rain check on the bridgeview.

Hummmm, if I don't leave the country and they are open, it might be a fun place to have a hurricane party! :beer: We can watch the evacuations from the patio deck LOL

Fish boy
08-12-2004, 06:56 AM
just checked after reading poodle's post, looks like the probable path shifted to direct hit the tampa bay area around 2:00pm on friday. Also looks like they think it will be a little stronger- approx 110mph; 111mph is a major hurricane. Whew, at least it is not a major hurricane :eek!:

Fish boy
08-12-2004, 07:53 AM
here are a few sites if anyone locals want to keep an eye on the storm.

hurricane alley (http://files.hurricanealley.net/storms/03L.html)

hurricane city (http://www.hurricanecity.com/)

hurricane watch net (http://www.hwn.org/atlantic/nhcww3.html)

Sport
08-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Good luck everybody ! ! !

I'm leaving work at about noon to take care of our homes ( Mine, Aunt Joan and Leslee's ) We will take shelter on the second floor. Time to get gas for the generator and some beer, food, water and $$$$. That damn track changed right to Me, FishBoy and DonziGo. Stay safe boys and girls ! ! ! Here is my cell if anybody needs emergancy help. 727-481-7445. Don't take any chances ! Get prepaired ! ! !

GOOD LUCK ! ! !

Sport
St. Pete Beach, Fl

mattyboy
08-12-2004, 08:03 AM
hey I know I always kid you guys about living in paradise and the little ole blue hair ladies and the bugs, for a moment let me be serious you knuckle heads decided to live there and well this is the price you pay to live in paradise :tongue: ;) He he he

only kiddding!!!! please take care, we need all of you around to bust my chops when it snows up here, don't take any chances, better to run and live to fight another day when Mother Nature gets riled up, everything but loved ones can be replaced
you are in our thoughts and prayers, be careful

best wishes

Matty

Fish boy
08-12-2004, 08:32 AM
here are a couple of tidbits having been conceived in and born during a hurricane, and growing up in fla., that they usually do not mention on the news as you prepare for a hurricane:

usual things- candles, flashlight, batteries, bottled water, canned goods, put your important dos in sealed bag, plywood for windows, duct tape.

other things I have learned:
*need matches or lighter for candles
*manual canopener- electric ones do not work when power goes out
*clean well, and then fill bathtub with water- can't have too much clean water
*stock up on pet food as well as your own; get pet carrier if your pet needs it and you might have to evacuate.
*put your albums or pictures in a garbage bag and seal it- most stuff can be replaced, these cannot.
*battery operated radio for weather reports
* unplug everything
* take pictures of eveything inside and out of your house. Seal the camera.
* fully charge cell phone and get extra battery if possible

One last thing, if you are directly in the path of the eye, take a few minutes to enjoy it. as the hurricane approaches, you will be pounded with 100+mph winds from one direction. As the eye crosses over you, it will become completely calm for 30-60 minutes. then as the eye moves off, the wind will suddenly pick up from the opposite direction that it was blowing before the eye passed over you. A pretty neat meteorological event most do not get to experience.

Be safe,

fish

rchevelle71
08-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Well, US1 to the Keys is shut down by a wreck, so the Whitewater is insured and down there for the duration.. 10 hrs on the new motors, guess the insurance co can't depreciate them much this time... :banghead: :banghead:

FWIW, this guys website, while slower than heck, is always at least 20 minutes ahead of TPC's information releases!! I think they get the info from him ;) ;)

http://flhurricane.com/

Hang tight guys, you have that one MPH margin of eror in your favor!! And just remember, it could be snow :D :D
According to the news this morning, if you take card sound rd, you can get around the wreck.

Sport
08-12-2004, 09:48 AM
I'm leaving work now.

I'll post again with a dammage report.

Sport

Fish boy
08-12-2004, 10:12 AM
MP, I hope your boat makes it without a scratch.

Just announced that they are going to evacuate sarasota coastal areas amd will probably announce the st. pete/clearwater area evacuations soon.

gcarter
08-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Most of those models with Poodles post go right over our area.
I can't close my garage with the boat in it, so I'm going to move it to the storage yard later today (the engine is out right now and the cockpit is empty) so I can close it. We're planning on having our office open till noon tomorrow. I don't expect to see winds over 65-70 MPH (if that weren't enough)!
I guess we need a big Smilie that is blowing wind real hard for such times as these. :lightning :lightning

Donzigo
08-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Guess we are going to my son, Donzigo Jr's place int he morning. The Police are already out with the bull-horns.

"Big D" is in a great spot, behind gates, locked, cover on, tied around boat with plenty of lines. Plug out. Next to a nice big strong building.

"Little D" - is at the top of the lift, now, it's up to God, if he wants it more than us, so be it.

It's dead calm here, outside, an eery feeling...........then by tomorrow........yippie cayeah....

pmreed
08-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Echo that Scott. Any of you Tampa, St. Pete guys needing a place in Orlando. I've got room.

Phil

Bigbroadjumper
08-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Good luck everyone, our thoughts are with you.

McGary911
08-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Wow, my company evacuated about 7 offices in southern florida today, and we expect more tomorrow. looks to get really nasty. Hope everyone stays safe when the water and wind get nasty. I was just in Tampa a few weeks back, and i hope all the guys down there make it through ok. Good luck.

gcarter
08-12-2004, 10:12 PM
I've got room here too, Elaine is in Daytona with her folks. But I don't think the Leesburg area is the place to be, except I'm 165' above sea level and 80' above a nearby lake so at least my house won't flood.

ToonaFish
08-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Yes, George, you'll get the nasties, but look at all the old houses in central Florida that have survived some pretty big blows. We used to haul the horses up to Zephyrhills during hurricanes... made for some awfully fun barn parties!

But if any of you guys on the gulf are thinking about riding out the storm at home... DON'T! There is no disgrace in seeking shelter inland... matter of fact, there is alot of grace in waking up alive! You'll be in far better shape to face the tremendous damage if you've had food and shelter and a bit of sleep... and the mess will still be there waiting for you to clean it up!

Bunches of fingers and other vital body parts crossed,

Celene

Mr X
08-12-2004, 10:28 PM
As it stands now, the eye will pass directly over our home
around 10:30 PM Friday night. 120 MPH winds and 11-12 Ft.
storm surge. That might put 3-4 feet of water in our living room.
Please pray for us and every one involved.
Thank you.
Ted & Kathy

pmreed
08-13-2004, 12:15 AM
Ted and Kathy, along with the rest of you over there, you've got mine.

For any of you who want to follow this thing on "radar", here's a good site: FL Weather (http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocalWide.asp?loc=kmco&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=RadarImagery&product=RadarLoop&prodnav=none) . I see the first squall line hitting Poodle's house about now.

Phil

gcarter
08-13-2004, 06:57 AM
Just found these sites on the Drudge Report;

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p20-r/si.kbyx.shtml

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p20-r/si.ktbw.shtml

Which are the Key West and Tampa radar sites. Should be interesting watching throughout the weekend. :shocking:

Cuda
08-13-2004, 07:16 AM
I may have to go to St Pete and physically drag my parents out of there.

txtaz
08-13-2004, 07:16 AM
Our thoughts are with you guys. Best of luck and hope everyone makes it through without incident.
Wes and Jennifer

Fish boy
08-13-2004, 08:14 AM
good morning all from sunny St. Pete! Weather is nic eright now, in fact the only thing disturbing the peaceful tranquility of the ghost town the beaches have become over the past 12 hours are those blasted police cars wit their sirens and loundsepakers shouting that it is "a mandatory evacuation, you must leave your homes and seek shelter inland!" Damn, can't a guy get any sleep around here?

thaks fo rthe call and offer this morning donzigo JR, hope it does not get so bad that I have to bail, but I appreciate it.

looked out my window towards the docks and saw that a 26zf on a lift is pretty low. Guy lives in alaska and vacations here (not computer literate so was a no go on the board). THink I am going to try to hot wire it and raise his boat up a few feet.

THanks for all the well wishes from everyone, will post pics after the storm when the power comes back on.

GKricheldorf
08-13-2004, 09:33 AM
I had a little Holy **** experience this morning at 5:30 Me and my wife were sleeping and both woke up to a loud boom. After a few seconds of what the heck, there was a bright flash and another crack crack boom. At that point both dogs were on the bed. It was starting to rain so I had to jump out of bed and put the cover on the boat. We went out for a sunset cruise last night so I left the top off so the boat could dry out today. While putting the cover on a bolt struck right around the house somewhere. I didn't see where, but I saw the flash out of the cover of my eye. Of coarse I was holding a long metal poll used to pop the center of the cover up to let the water roll off. Scared the crap out of me!! The lights dimmed for a few seconds, car alarms going off. That sure woke me up.

You guys be safe and get some good pictures if you can.

Glenn

Speed-Racer
08-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Prayers, and thoughts are with all of you over on the West coast :frown:

I know most of you are prepared for the worst, and hoping for the best, we sure are.

Speed-Racer
08-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Prayers, and thoughts are with all of you over on the West coast :frown:

I know most of you are prepared for the worst, and hoping for the best, we sure are.

txtaz
08-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Hey Scott,
Best of luck to you guys. Let me know if you need help, we have some people in Ft. Myers. I'm sure the house there will get flooded as it's on a canal.
Ohhhh between blender runs, can you get me a new starter solenoid, Mercruiser manual for 97 350 mag and a clue? Hehehe just kidding. Had to get one in before the storm takes out your power and data lines.
Have a good hurricane party.
Wes <------Been there done that and bought the t-shirt

catch 22
08-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you on the West coast. Take Care and BE SAFE. Now a catagory 4. Nothing to fool around with for sure.

Mr X
08-13-2004, 02:46 PM
We just came back home.....not much threat here now.
Thanks for all of the prayers!
Our thiughts and prayers go to you all in Ft.Meyers and all of the southern west coast.

Speed-Racer
08-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Predictions put the storm right over our house at around 12-2am :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's why we trimmed the tree's last week.

It should be down to 60-70 mph winds by the time it makes it that far inland, but still that's a beating...

pmreed
08-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Geeze, that sucker is headed straight for my house! :kaioken:. I'm about 10 miles ESE of the Orlando airport and the front of my house looks due West across a mile and a half wide lake. Got a few hundred square feet of glass looking that way too. Gonna be an exciting night :eek: !!

Phil

gcarter
08-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Hi everybody, I'm in Daytona at my in-laws. Of course the storm is headed this way but it should be somewhat subdued a bit by 2:00 AM. I just watched a band move across North Lake County and just as it approached where my house is located, a hole opened and went around that area. WOW!
One of my best friends lives in Cudjoe Key, the eye moved through about 100 miles to the West and they only got 50-60 MPH winds, and virtually no storm surge. He's CFO at the newspaper and was encouraged to stay.
I'll be back home in the morning.

Fish boy
08-13-2004, 06:51 PM
just got power back on a little while ago. Other than some serious flood damage caused by a tub that overflowed when I forgot to turn it off, we did not get too much damage. Now I am glad I rode it out. Hurricane party is starting to wind down, and the sun is creaking through the clouds on the horizon. Time to finish the jagermeister

MP, how is your sis and boat? You guys make it ok in miamah?

Tidbart
08-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Congrats to you guys on the coast for the near miss.
Your miss is heading directly for me now. :p
Winds are starting to howl.
Glad I work for the electrical company here. :bawling: :lightning What's a few days OT? Hope everyone else here has minimal problems.

Got to run, 8 feeders out and counting.

B

Cuda
08-13-2004, 08:30 PM
It's coming right up the I 4 corridor, right at us. All bimini's are stowed. Covers are tied down. Jon boat is full of water. A freind that was evacuated from St Pete Beach came over to miss the storm. Apparently, the storm has a tracking device on it. It turned east at the same time he started heading east to come here. We barely managed to get his 64 Vette in the garage.

Cuda
08-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Wind is picking up, and the lights are flickering. We are lighting the hurricane lamps now.

Fish boy
08-13-2004, 08:58 PM
good luck brother, be safe and give me a ring if you need ANYTHING. :crossfing

fish

Cuda
08-13-2004, 09:16 PM
That's the last time Rag's comes to visit you!!

Yeah, first he brings the rainiest summer with him from Seattle, then drags that damn storm over here to hit me, and then has the audacity to fall asleep when it hits.

I just took this picture.

MOP
08-13-2004, 09:23 PM
I am surprised you let him park next to your boat in the garage, the John boat should have preference! :biggrin:

Cuda
08-13-2004, 09:30 PM
This is the fourth time I've started this post. Damn power keeps going off for a few seconds.

I can tell the storm went south of us because the wind is coming from the wrong direction from what we expected.

MOP
08-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Cuda you need a battery backup or UPS as its called, I can stay running about a half hours with no juice. I have several, I have them on my computers and my phone systems both home and office. Even a Small one will get you through short outages.

Phil

boldts
08-14-2004, 01:56 AM
Ya know, you guys give us Northerns a hard time every winter, but I'm glad I'm here right now! Sure hope all our FL friends are safe and unharmed. That's one nice Vette Cuda. Be glad to host it in my garage if I were allowed to exercise it every now and then. I can sleep through just about anything also, but a hurricane?

Fish boy
08-14-2004, 06:58 AM
Smoke diver, Cuda, Tidbart, Speed racer, Pmreed, you guys ok? If you need anything, please give me a ring 727455-5175.

fish

Cuda
08-14-2004, 07:50 AM
It's a very sad day in Florida. Punta Gorda was devastated. There is significant loss of life, mostly from people who tried to ride out the storm in mobile homes. After leaving the coast and heading up the state, Orlando took a direct hit. Every building at Orlando International Airport was damaged. From what I'm reading, there wasn't any loss of life reported in Otown.

It's really a sober morning. I'm am relieved that it didn't strike where it was predicted, at least I didn't have to worry about my parents. They ended up having to worry about me, but we were spared when the storm turned east just south of us.

If it had hit the bay area, the destruction and loss of life would have been much much worse.

These storms are no joke. The people who yesterday were joking and talking about hurricane parties are singing a different tune this morning. Once you've been through a hurricane, your perspective changes.

Now our eyes turn north and we are hoping our northern freinds are spared the worse.

Sport
08-14-2004, 10:09 AM
It's not over yet !

Danielle is on her way along with another one.

Forcast says that she will be just below Cuba on Thursday the 19th.

I still cannot rerach my Aunt Sue and Uncle Chuck down in Rotunda, Fl.

They were about 25 miles from ground zero.

Hope I get to hear that they made it thru Charley okay.

Prayers for my Aunt & Uncle please.

Sport

txtaz
08-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Cuda, I sure hope you weren't referring to me. I certainly did not mean that a hurricane was a joke, but you make the best of what you are given. We have been through many and have lost quit a bit from hurricanes.
I have a feeling we lost the house in Ft. Myers. I was watching the news this morning and they showed cinder block buildings that were destroyed. I know we got water in but I thought the walls would hold up. We should find out in a few days when the couple who takes care of the house can get back in.
We hope everyone is well. Life cannot be replaced but houses can.
Best of luck, I may be there this week after we get a preliminary report of the damage. If I can help when I'm there, please let me know.
Wes

Cuda
08-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Cuda, I sure hope you weren't referring to me.
Wes

No, it was actually some guys on another forum. I had cut and pasted the message instead of retyping it.

Just called a freind in in Cape Coral that has two houses down there. He came through with no damage, and even his boat on the lift didn't have any damage.

Fish boy
08-14-2004, 01:56 PM
if anyone went east during the evacuation and is thinking of coming back to the bay area today, I just heard on the news that I-4 is backed up from the I-4/275 interchange in tampa to osceola county. Traffic is reported moving approx 2mph. Additionaly, 27 from I-4 to SR60 has no traffic lights so it is pretty messy. Finally, heavy rains over both areas and tornado warnings.

Be careful everyone.

Fish

gcarter
08-14-2004, 02:02 PM
I spent the night at my in-laws in Daytona Beach on the island. As some of you know, my father-in-law has been terminally ill w/cancer for some time. Elaine, my wife, has been spending a significant amout of time there w/her parents.
Anyway, he died last night about 90 minutes before the storm came through. We were able to contact the "removal people"(can you believe that name?) and have him removed probably 45 minutes before the center of the storm came right across the house.
The power was off and on, mostly on through the night.
That was a different kind of night! I would just as soon not repeat it.
There was a significant amount of damage in Daytona, the usual trees down, roof damage. I'm sure you've seen thousands of pictures like this already today.
I just got home this afternoon in Lady Lake, just north of Leesburg, and there's no damage to anything.
There's still a significant amount of weather going on w/tornado alerts and a lot of rain.
I hope everyone else in the path is OK. And hopefully no property damage.

smokediver
08-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey guys , all is well here in naples ... got a little windy and rainy but punta gorda really got nailed . we may be sending some people up there to help out ..A lot of ems and police were sent up there already . Fort myers is pretty much out of power but the damage was mainly in north ft.myers and up to the mid point bridge in cape coral... hope all is well with everyone and please take a lesson from this and leave when it is recommended... We shut down operations when the wind speed gets over 45mph and then there is no one to call in a time of need ...

Cuda
08-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Mark and Cg should be fine. No severe weather up in Jax area.

Fish boy
08-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Geoarge,
I am really sorry to hear about your father. Please lt me know if there is anything I can do.

Fish

gcarter
08-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Thank you Scott and Fish. I appreciate your regards.
But just for the record, it was Elaines father, my father-in-law.

Cuda
08-14-2004, 07:09 PM
MP, the link didn't work.

I figured that storm would bring back bad memories for you.

Scott Heidt
08-14-2004, 09:09 PM
GCARTER sorry for your loss!

Just got home. I am beat. Been moving boats and belongings for my mom and her neighbors! Whew!

We sure dodged a bullet here in Tampa. My sympathies go out to all in the path of Charlie. It so easily could have been us!

I hope this opened the eyes to all in the area of how serious these storms are.

Well I am beat. Nite All! I just wanted to check in to see that everyone faired well!

Cuda
08-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Still couldn't get it to link. :(

For those of you in Pinellas, this is fair warning, Rags just left here headed home, so you can expect foul weather to follow him. I can predict the track of the Rags storm. West on I 4 traveling at 80 mph, expected to make landfall in St Pete Beach around 1 am.

catch 22
08-15-2004, 05:17 AM
George, Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Sorry to hear about your loss. Take care and will talk to you soon. Jim

need for speed
08-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Just got power back a few hours ago.. Everything is ok here the donzi was strapped to the floor in my garage .. and the door was reinforced.. Never drilled so many holes in my concrete :yes: floor before.. lol... :wink:

The donzi will live on!!

Digger
08-15-2004, 02:29 PM
George, my condolences. Stay strong and God Bless.

gcarter
08-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks again Digger and Jim, he was 82 and in very poor health. It was one of those situations where you pray for them to die sooner rather than later, just not during a huricane.
Charlie (need for speed), I'm glad everything is OK down in the SW.

pmreed
08-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Back on line w/generator. Many and profuse thanks to Poodle for sending one up to me. House suffered very minor damage, same for the boathouse. Donzi's fine. Many trees down and debris everywhere. Hope to have power back in a few days. I and all my neighbors are safe and thanking God it wasn't worse. Sorry for your loss ,George. Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it.
Well back to cleaning up and pumping out!

Phil

olredalert
08-17-2004, 09:45 AM
--------That is one good looking center console!!!!!!!!!!!..................57 year old Bill S

Cuda
08-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Damn MP, I KNOW that you know how to resize pics, you must be killing the guys with dial up. :)

Sweet boat! :cool!:

gcarter
08-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Yeah Joe, Poodle has been showing off a new camera I think.
Hasn't said a word about it, just posts these HUGE pictures! C'mon Scott, what'r the details?

Forrest
08-18-2004, 10:47 AM
. . . looks pretty in the before picture too!

Forrest
08-18-2004, 02:41 PM
LOL, you know, that may be the only existing picture of it with the old engines before one of your customers absconded with them... ;) ;)

. . . and I always thought that was a safe neighborhood. :eek!:

Fish boy
08-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Just a thought for all of us Fla folks who were lucky enough to have missed charlie's rath- if you would like to do something to help, one thing not mentioned very often is giving blood. In addition to the 20 deaths, many were injured and in need of blood. It only takes 30 minutes or so, and it is an easy way to help those in need (especially those with O+).

Fish