PDA

View Full Version : Need commuter, any ideas?

MattM
08-10-2004, 09:23 PM
OK, I've finally reached my goal. I live in Portland OR on the Willamette River, I finished my dock last summer and I just finished building a dock at work, which is 15 miles down the Willamette.

I never have to get in a car again. I have been driving my Z-21 to work or my waverunner. The Z-21 takes about 10 gallons every day and the waverunner about 5 and it gives me a bit of a pounding in the rough water on the way home.

I'm a mechanical engineer, so I was thinking of building a commuter on the way home tonight: the goal is to have something relatively comfortable, even in the cold and rain, and cruise economically at 30 knots. What I came up with was an aluminum hull (fishing boat), 14-16 feet, semi V, with a 20 to 30 HP four stroke outboard. I could then install a helm, an air suspended seat, and an aluminum foredeck and lexan cockpit. Anybody have experience w/ small four stroke outboards? Dare I hope to get 10 mph w/ any boat? Is this totally stupid? CDMA? Anyone?

thanks, Matt

EricG
08-10-2004, 10:20 PM
I don't really have much to offer other than the fact that you suck :yes: Isn't that every boater's dream? Congrats on the sweet setup.

I would think some sort of hard-top outboard runabout would be the best setup. We used to have an 18 campion hard-top with a 100 Merc, it didn't seem to do too bad on fuel, and it would be a perfect all weather style commuter. Or, I've always thought that the Glacier Bay, or other catamaran would be a pretty sweet commuter setup.

Good luck...keep us posted. :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

-EG

Stix Magill
08-10-2004, 11:07 PM
The local guys around here that used to commute to the hydro-electric plant use heavy semi-V aluminum boats about 18 to 20 feet in length with cabins. Not pretty, but very functional. 90 HP plus, and probably 5 to 8 MPG. :spongebob

Scott Smith
aka Stix Magill

GKricheldorf
08-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Ok - where is that picture of that limo boat? You would be the shi$$ driving that to work. :hyper:

The Hedgehog
08-11-2004, 11:31 AM
I used to hit the lake before and after work and thought I had the life! Being able to drive to work by boat, now that is my dream.

I have seem some pretty cool work/utility boats that should do 25-30 mph with a forward cockpit/cabin. They were in the Baltimore area docked around my sister's sailboat. I don't know about being fuel efficient.

pmreed
08-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Here's one for you Century Coronado (http://www.sierraboat.com/boats/190.html) . Pretty classy ride and it'll keep you dry too.

Phil

Tony
08-11-2004, 05:40 PM
A Boston Whaler type hull, with a center helm and a stand-up bolster. Hard covering over helm, and at least a 90 hp outboard. On smooth days you want to BOOGIE, and 20-30 hp just won't cut it. Ideally your commute time should be 20-30 minutes, imo too much longer gets tedious.

Remember it would take you two gallons to drive, so if you were at 3 or 4 gallons per day I don't envision that as too unreasonable.