PDA

View Full Version : Perfect setup for 22 Classic

Pismo
08-09-2004, 09:50 PM
This is a new topic in addition/extension to

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36161

I think the perfect engine setup for a 22 Classic would be a 383ci small block tweaked to produce about 425hp at the prop through a Bravo drive with a 25" Mirage Plus type prop with switchable exhaust. Would turn about 5100-5200rpm at 74-76 mph. An imco shorty would be nice too, with a different prop of course. The small block would weigh 300lbs less and have similar top end with better weight characteristics. May not plane as quick tough, would be close with the lower weight in the stern. Start with a base non-siamese 350 and bore and stroke it out to 383 (like the Merc 377, just 30 over) so nice and reliable with plenty of aftermarket heads, cam, and exhaust. Needs external steering, would make it perfect. Maybe a labbed 27" Mirage plus.....75+............with a small block,,,,, possible reliability issues?

Comments?

Ha!

Cheers,
SL

Lenny
08-09-2004, 10:07 PM
I believe the big block adds 200 when all is said and done, not 300. The ponies are soo much easier with a 454/496/502 base to start with and the boat runs out GREAT with the big block behind. Weight transfer and MOST of it behind COG is an IMPORTANT thing to keep, not reduce. I think you would be better off running a slightly tweaked (reliable) 496 MAG HO or 502 MPI and hang a Bravo on back, forget about all the aftermarket stuff and bolt on an IMCO 2" shortie. Produce 470 HP and run 78-80 on a good day. Can't say enough for torque.

When you have 600 pounds of fuel and a couple of friends in the boat (A.K.A 1000 pounds plus you) what does the 200+ for the big block matter? The Bravo has to be there either way. Sure, on a day when you have 1/4 tank and no friends on board you might scream and fly but for whom and who will appreciate it and enjoy your company and being in the DONZI?

I think the mediocre 200+ pounds savings and all the tweaking and reliability issues lost to the mouse say it all.

This is just my opinion.

:)

Dr. Dan
08-10-2004, 06:41 AM
:cool: There was a couple at Jacksons Run last weekend that had a 6.2 EFI in a Newer 22....it was not more than 3 years old....the boat ran well....it was difficult to determine exactly how well...due to the conditions being just slightly less Snotty than what Bryan ran in done South....so it was more of a Survivor Course...in a couple of key areas.

The Boat was Solid White Hull with Red Center and Boot Stripe.

Doc :biggrin.:

Rootsy
08-10-2004, 07:17 AM
why stop at 383 or 377 cid when for about 2 grand more you can approach big block CID numbers ;)

blackhawk
08-10-2004, 09:08 AM
As always it boils down to how much you wanna spend! But I always thought a nice setup that wouldn't be too expensive would be a 6.2 with a whipple on it. Close to 500hp with BB torque and no cracking into the engine.