PDA

View Full Version : I finally bought a trailer for "BIG D"

Donzigo
08-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I finally bought a trailer for "BIG D", just to be used to run from a hurricane................I hope I never need it.

From Capt. Jack Nowling, who owns Quickload Trailers, here in St. Petersburg, Florida - Great guy to do business with! He's got all the specifications for any Donzi, ships anywhere.
10,500 Lbs
Two front axles-drum brakes (dics are not as reliable in salt)
Torsion bar axles

I also included a couple of pics of Smila & Dave clowning around on his Wave-Runner today, too.

Greg Maier
08-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Big D fits well on the trailer.

What kind of trailer?
Torsion Axles or Leaf Springs?
Disk or Drum Brakes?
How many axles are the brakes on?

Cuda
08-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Captain Jack is a trip isn't he! Best price I found for mine, and had it made in four days, and it fit perfectly first shot.

You need to snug that bow down on the bowstop, or it'll bounce all over.

You need to hook it up and bring it to the river for a change of pace.

Donzigo
08-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Good eye, Cuda, we had just put the boat on the trailer for the first time, there at Gulfport, to check for just such a thing & take spictures. We did, indeed, bring that tongue back and snugged it.

Lenny
08-08-2004, 10:51 PM
...and I , Hang on, Donzigo, it looks GREAT !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: , have been pursuing a Continental and American trailer (Zinner Marine) and all I have heard is that for salt DISCs' are the ONLY way to go. I haven't bought one yet so no biggy but I am following this new thread with a lot of interest.

I have a dual axle, torsion, front drum already, (new) and a torsion no brake as well. I don't know which is best??? :confused: I have heard that torsion is not required once you get into a light weight "long" boat and dual axles. I haven't a clue. I was thinking a tandem and front discs', aluminum for a 22 Classic :eek: (oh oh :D)

Cuda
08-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Richard, I'm sure we have the same drum brakes. They have a two year warranty on them. Did you get the flush kit too?

gcarter
08-09-2004, 06:23 AM
WOW Richard, great looking trailer!
The contrast makes your SUV look a little puny! LOL
Congratulations!

Fish boy
08-09-2004, 07:27 AM
Looks Great Richard!!!! Now you have no excuse for not making some of the road trips :) :)

Heck, bimini is only 45 miles from Ft. Lauderdale- you could pull big D over there on a friday night, leave at 8:00am sat morning and be in the bahamas before 10:00, tied up and ready to rock.

WHole new world for Big D now!

MOP
08-09-2004, 07:45 AM
Rich that is a fine looking rig, now you have to go for your CDL. Now you have no excuse not to come North to the 1000 Islands run, don't worry there is no ice yet!

Donzigo
08-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Nice comments from all..................thanks.

Cuda, I took the trailer to Lake Seminole and dunked it in fresh water several times. I do have a flush kit; but, I'm excentric, rememeber?

Lenny, the disc brakes work fine if you use your trailer a lot; but, if you are going to store it for any length of times, I hear drum brakes are more reliable...........don't know for sure.

Fishboy, I'll go only with YOU to Ft. Lauderdale and on to Bimini. I wouldn't have the slightest idea of what to do or where to go, once I got across the Gulfstream. You up for that? We might be able to get up a group trip. Invade Bimini with Donzis............... what a thought. I wonder why those Miamuh boys haven't done that yet?

GKricheldorf
08-09-2004, 09:25 AM
I sure like how my Z25 looks behind my Tundra, but your 33 looks a hell of a lot better. How well does that Chevy handle the weight? I've been tossing around the idea of getting an F250 Crew Cab diesel to pull my 25. The Tundra does pretty good, but would like more stability.

Glenn

Fish boy
08-09-2004, 09:29 AM
hell yeah I am up for that. I just got back form the bahamas yesterday and can't wait to go back (actually going back on August 20th).

The group idea to the bahamas would be awesome. The crossing cam be a little choppy for a small boat if the weather changes a little or if the wind is out of the east or any version of it. No problem for your boat, but I would hate to be in a 18 or a 22c if it gts dicey.

If it is reall nice, you could make it to freeport before noon which has a little more nightlife and stuff to do than bimini, but I think I am trying to run before we are walking yet.

DOnzi Invasion of the bahamas- damn that sounds like fun!

Donzigo
08-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Fishboy.....you're on. Hummmmmmmmm August 20th.

K.........Actually, it's a 2002 Yukon, the same as Tahoe. It weighs more than 6,000lbs & seemed to do well around the block. On the open road for long distances, I think I would be more comfortable with a longer wheelbase, others on the board would be a better resource than me on that. A deisel would do the trick, to be sure................Deisels are also nice for pulling up tree stumps on the weekends, or for pulling down the fences of neighbors whose dogs bark too much, or for pulling doors of your Mercedes, now belonging to your ex-wife, who has started dating your best friend, who now drives your Mercedes, while you are driving an old pick-up & living in a Nimrod pop-up in the woods............

BUIZILLA
08-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Richard, take my word for this...don't even think about ExWay towing with that Tahoe, insufficient bro'....... first tour bus that fly's by next to you, your upside down. Never tow more than 1 1/2 times your tow vehicle weight on a bumper hitch. My Tahoe's weighed 5,200#'s, I've had 3 of them.

JH

Cuda
08-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Nice comments from all..................thanks.

Cuda, I took the trailer to Lake Seminole and dunked it in fresh water several times. I do have a flush kit; but, I'm excentric, rememeber?

Now wait a minute, never called you eccentric,..........fanatic and perfectionist, maybe, but not eccentric! :D

Donzigo
08-10-2004, 12:07 AM
MadPoodle, it's an interesting thought about the Bahamas Run, for sure.

Buizilla, the weight right out of the Yukon book in my hand says, 6,600Lbs for the truck. The towing capacity is 7,700lbs, which would be a little less than what my Z-33 weighs. Even so, I would only want to tow this beast a small distance to get it the 40 above sea level, here in St. Pete. Then, don't you know that a freaking TREE would fall on it when one of those tornados associated with a hurricane, comes down.

Buizilla, come on dude - you know I'm not putting my Donzi on a BUMPER hitch.........it's a sure fire bolted to the frame trailer hitch. I agree about the weight to rig ratio.

Good advice from all.

BUIZILLA
08-10-2004, 06:12 AM
Buizilla, come on dude - you know I'm not putting my Donzi on a BUMPER hitch.........it's a sure fire bolted to the frame trailer hitch. I agree about the weight to rig ratio. Good advice from all.
Richard, not trying to insult, when I say bumper pull that means anything BUT a 5th wheel. Your weight distributing hitch for your load ain't worth a crap without torsion bars, which don't fit on I-beam trailers anywho, but you knew that... short distances are cool. Find yourself a CAT scale and see what the Yukey weighs for $6. Then put the trailer and boat on the scale without the Yukey, for another $6. You might be very surprised what $12 worth of info you get...

JH

MOP
08-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Richard, take my word for this...don't even think about ExWay towing with that Tahoe, insufficient bro'....... first tour bus that fly's by next to you, your upside down. Never tow more than 1 1/2 times your tow vehicle weight on a bumper hitch. My Tahoe's weighed 5,200#'s, I've had 3 of them.

JH

I see guys doing this all the time up here, even with bars and real heavy rubber on the SUV they are edgy over 60 lane changing lanes and on windy days. Which means some AO will be tempted whack you in the butt.

MOP
08-10-2004, 08:42 AM

JH

Jim is right I see guys doing this all the time up here, even with bars and real heavy rubber on the SUV they are edgy over 60 lane changing lanes and on windy days. Which means some AO will be tempted whack you in the butt.

Donzigo
08-10-2004, 09:30 AM
I wonder how some others tow these heavy rigs......Air22?
MOP & Buizilla.........agreed to all you said.
buizilla......5th wheel is the way to go, for sure.

Cuda
08-10-2004, 09:43 AM
I think you'd be ok with a reese type hitch, but to do long hauls on the interstate, you need to move up to at least a 3/4 ton vehicle, and a one ton would be better. I know you drive the state a lot like I do, but you'd be surprised that a diesel truck is actually more economical to drive than you think. When gas first went way up, diesel stayed down. It was better for me to drive my F250 than Deb's Sport Trac. I average 17.1 mpg with the truck, and that is all types of driving; interstate, back roads, city, and even a bit of towing thrown in. Deb's ST gets 20 mpg. The math works out better with the truck. My buddy has an 04 250, and he even gets much better mileage than I do. Also, you can write the ENTIRE purchase price of the truck the first year. I put 50k on the truck last year.