PDA

View Full Version : Unlike metals?

Tony
08-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Possible problem here. My new tank was fabricated by robbing the fittings from the old tank and ss screwing them down to the new aluminum tank. So...I've got 16 ga. steel, aluminum, stainless steel, and brass all combined.

Is this a great example of electrolysis in action? I can have it changed, I just need to find aluminum fittings. I will still have some brass and aluminum mated together, as I want to re-use my sight gauge, but this is O.K., right?

penbroke
08-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Are those actually pieces cut out of the old tank and screwed to the top of the new tank? How are they sealed to the tank? If there is a gasket in between so that only the stainless screws actually touch the tank that should help with the electrolysis issue. It does feel like a lot of inaccessable potential leak points tho...

Frank :confused:

MOP
08-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Though if at all possible I will use S/S or aluminum fittings on a AL tank, I have seen brass used quite a bit over the years. I have noticed that tanks in a nice dry compartment do not seem to have a problem. It goes along with what I was taught in tech school, in order to have electrolysis you need an electrolyte water or moisture. I think you will be fine if you can keep it dry, you could take a little added precaution and paint things over once all is in and hooked to play safe.
Phil

Donzigo
08-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Use S/S fittings. Also, make the nipple openings bigger than what you had on the old tank. Nice looking tank.

Also.........to extend the life by many years, prime it and paint it any color your little heart desires; but, PAINT IT!

Tony
08-08-2004, 10:01 PM
What would be the reason for larger nipple sizes? (I can't believe I just typed that question!)
Are you talking about the vent, fill or supply?