PDA

View Full Version : The adventure continues

Cuda
08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
I've decided to fire back up again on my ongoing 20 Sc Formula project. I wanted to work on it yesterday and today, but the rain was keeping me from it. I decided to move it inside the garage so I can work on it anytime. I had to move the Donzi and then back the Formula in crossways to get it to fit in the garage.

I'm prepping the port side for paint. I'm doing something on this side that I didn't do on the other. I'm filling in every little scratch I can find. On the other side, I figured the primer would fill it in. It did on some, but there are others I can see. I filled the scratches with some stuff I got at West Marine. It's called Formula 27 or something like that. When I mixed it, I was thinking it was just like Bondo, smelled the same and all. I found the difference, this stuff is hard as he!!. I took a Sharpie and circled the spots I found so I didn't miss any when I had the stuff mixed up. NOTE TO SELF: Don't use a Sharpie on fiberglass unless you plan to paint. It must permeate the gel coat, because when I sanded off the bondo, the Sharpie circle was still there plain as day.

Cuda
08-07-2004, 05:04 PM
I scraped off the old Bird and the Formula lettering. Man that gel coat looks good under it. Speaking of gel coat, Formula puts it on thick. As much sanding as I've done, even with 80 grit, I haven't yet sanded through the gel.

Cuda
08-07-2004, 05:14 PM
One thing I found that works great is how to remove the old decals. I scraped them off with a scraper. Then I wiped them with mineral spirits. If you try to rub them off with ms, it want's to spread all over. I found if I just wet it with ms, then took the razor scraper and it just came right off. The trick was to keep a rag in my other hand with ms on it, and wipe the scraper after every pass, it kept the glue from trying to stick to the scraper. I didn't know that on the other side, and worked my azz off to get the decals and glue off.

Cuda
08-07-2004, 06:16 PM
I just tried turning the motor over for the first time in, oh six months or so. It didn't turn. I'm hoping bad connection or low battery, but the battery cable was pretty damn hot. I may have let it seize up.

Cuda
08-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Touching up the bottom.

Cuda
08-08-2004, 09:10 AM
I spent the morning removing the black stripe along the side of the cockpit. Now that I finally got Debbie out of bed, I'm hoping to get her to help me tape off this side and I'll shoot the primer.

Cuda
08-08-2004, 11:23 AM
It's ready for primer. It's all sanded, the nicks are fixed. it's taped off, and wiped down. I'm just cooling off a bit before I shoot it.

gcarter
08-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Be nice to Debbie. She's a real trooper! At least she will help you. I get to do all my taping by myself! :bawling:

Cuda
08-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Just finished spaying the primer. When it dries, I'll give it another sanding then spray the yellow . I don't remember how long it took to dry last time. It will probably take a while today because it's humid as hell outside.

Cuda
08-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Okay, I guess I'm done for the day. I'm happy with what I got done. Normally, it would take me six months to do what I did today due to dodging rain, or just quitting because it's too damn hot. I'm fired up to keep going now. I wish I didn't have to go out of town tomorrow, I'd start on the stripes.

Cuda
08-08-2004, 06:00 PM
This is what I'm looking to do. Matching Formulas! :wink:

Cuda
08-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Any paint experts have a suggestion on what color to do next? I was thinking the black.

Cuda
08-15-2004, 02:26 PM
I was going to start painting the black yesterday, but I found my dogs ate my masking tape. :mad: Instead, I worked on getting the oil/water out of the engine, and getting the engine to turn over. I also removed the rub rail. It's raining too hard for me to make a trip to Home Depot just for tape. I'll find something else to fool with on it today.

Rubrail removed.

Donzi Racer
08-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Cuda, was wondering what is your procedure for removing the watery oil from the engine and then cleaning out the block before putting the oil back in? the reason I am asking is we have to do the same here in titusville and the last time a mechanic did it, he put kerosene in and we spun a bearing after he drained it and replaced the oil. don't want that to happen again. thanks, Tom

Cuda
08-21-2004, 07:07 PM
I always drain the water/oil, then fill with half oil, and half diesel. Run it a few minutes then drain it. It usually cuts the emulsified oil the first time. This will be the third time I had to do it on this engine, all for stupid reasons.

Donzi Racer
08-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks Cuda, how long is the longest that the engine had the water and oil in it, before you removed it? fresh water that is. I think our problem was we did not know that there was any kerosene still in the engine and then ran it too long and zip, there goes a back bearing. the motor didn't have 1 hour on it when that happened. YIPES BATMAN. Thanks, Tom

Cuda
08-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Usually only a couple days. I don't know how long it was in this time because I don't know when it got in there. My best guess would be a month or so. When you used the kerosene, did you use half oil too?

Donzi Racer
08-22-2004, 07:41 PM
It was a mechanic that was installing the new engine. It got water in from somewhere and I believe he used all kerosene in the engine to clean it out and I think he left some of the kerosene in after draining it and then we cranked it and ran for a while and then knock knock and it was not a joke. thanks again, we come to deland every so often foe chicken fingers at the resturant down under the southtrust bank downtown deland. will have to stop and say hey sometime. and get a look at the minx. Tom

Cuda
08-29-2004, 03:29 PM
I had some time today to work on the F20 again. First thing I did was drag out the cut off saw and chop up the old rubrail so I can get rid of it.

Cuda
08-29-2004, 03:30 PM
I patched the old screw holes in the transom.

Cuda
08-29-2004, 03:31 PM
My only helper today. Debbie's gone taking Kyle back home.

Cuda
08-29-2004, 03:33 PM
It's sanded and taped. I just blew out the dust and dog hair from the garage. I'm waiting for it to settle back down, then make a final wipe with naptha before spraying the paint.

Big Pimpin
08-29-2004, 03:45 PM
looks like a lot of work. Are you gonna replace the rub rail and if so, where do you get replacement rubrails?

BP

Cuda
08-29-2004, 03:50 PM
looks like a lot of work. Are you gonna replace the rub rail and if so, where do you get replacement rubrails?

BP

I'm going to replace it with the one piece black one like is on my 302. It's made by Taco in Miami. Several places carry it, such as West Marine. I'm going to watch ebay and try to catch some on there.

gcarter
08-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Joe, are you going to keep the white background like is on the 301? If so, maybe that should be the next color.
You did ask a couple of weeks ago.
If you don't intend to keep the white background scheme, then maybe it doesn't matter.
All the patching and so on looks familiar...I'm trying to repaint the center stripe.
I've had more fun days.
Keep up the good work.

Cuda
08-29-2004, 04:53 PM
George, I changed my mind about putting the exact same graphics as my 302. I'm leaving off the "hockey sticks" part. Instead, I'm going with a scheme similar to this one.

Cuda
08-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Here's the culmination of today's work. You can't really tell from the picture, but this section is by far has the most shiny finish. I would have gotten a better pic, but my batteries just died. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

As a side note, just to paint the section that I've got done now, a painter quoted me $1000. Tools and all (not counting the compressor which I wanted anyway), I doubt I have $150 in the job. Not really that much time invested either.

Cuda
08-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Black is next. All the white is getting repainted too. The existing white is really an offwhite, and I'm going with a pure white to match the upholstery.

gcarter
08-29-2004, 05:01 PM
That scheme will be a lot easier.

Cuda
08-29-2004, 05:04 PM
That scheme will be a lot easier.

Why do you think I changed my mind? :biggrin:

Cuda
08-29-2004, 08:51 PM
I can't believe how much shinier the transom came out. The only thing I did different is I didn't prime it.

Cuda
08-29-2004, 08:54 PM
I have the port side ready to spray. I was going to do it tonight, but I don't won't to get in a hurry and mess it up.

Cuda
08-30-2004, 11:50 PM
I was all fired up today to get back home and paint some more. I burned up I 95 coming back from Ft Pierce. I got the first black stripe sprayed on. I may be able to hang around "the office" tomorrow and get some more painting done. I'm having a ball! :)

gcarter
08-31-2004, 03:35 AM
I can't believe how much shinier the transom came out. The only thing I did different is I didn't prime it.

Sometimes, Joe I find myself painting "too fast" and I get a grainy finish. If I slow my movements just a little, more paint ends up on the surface and it flows more. There's always the risk of a run, but I find the overall effect is better. :)

Cuda
08-31-2004, 10:32 AM
George, I think you're right. I think what the difference is, is that I actually got more paint in the last few areas, because I did manage to get the first run of the whole project. I'm going to shoot the yellow again.

gcarter
08-31-2004, 11:33 AM
Joe, if you do shoot it again, you might want to sand it with 400 wet first and it will knock down some of the roughness and give a better bond.

Cuda
08-31-2004, 02:56 PM
I'll probably do it with 220. I only sanded the transom to 150 and it came out great.

Cuda
09-01-2004, 10:06 PM
I sanded off the highest black I shot the other day. Apparently, it had either wax or glue under where I took the decal off. I was being lazy and shot it.

Cuda
09-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Mixing the paint.

Cuda
09-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Shooting the paint.

Cuda
09-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Tonight's finished product.

Cuda
09-01-2004, 10:15 PM
After I was done spraying, I saw that I forgot to paint a spot that I had a run earlier and sanded it off. The bad thing is I still had paint in the gun. I wish I'd seen it before I cleaned everything up. :frown:

Cuda
09-03-2004, 07:11 PM
I'm losing ground now. I decided the black stripe was too wide, so I'm making it two thinner stripes with a white stripe between them. I also took off the black on the side of the deck, there were little nicks that I didn't think would show that did. I have compound on it now and I'm waiting for it to set up so I can sand it.

Cuda
09-12-2004, 07:10 PM
I had some time tonight, so I finished sanding and shot some primer. I ran out of primer about two feet from the end. :frown: I'm still not happy with part of the black stripe that I sanded off to change to white, so I'll sand it and shoot it again.

Cuda
09-12-2004, 07:13 PM
This little scaffold I bought last week for a job is really coming in handy now that I'm getting higher up on the hull. I've been wanting one for years, but Home Depot just started carrying them. Beats the hell out of five gallon buckets and a 2x10, especially for $89. :smile:

Cuda
09-14-2004, 02:52 PM
I sprayed the white today. The section with the arrows will be black. If you wonder why I didn't mask off the yellow, it's because I'm going to shoot it again.

Cuda
10-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Moved to the starboard side today to shoot the black.

Taped and sanded.

Cuda
10-09-2004, 08:04 PM
About ten minutes later.

Cuda
10-09-2004, 08:34 PM
So, just how much paint fumes did you inhale?? :D :D :D

I did not inhale! :biggrin:

ToonaFish
10-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Um, Cuda, I know nothing, but if you were trying to paint the port side, you missed. :rolleyes:

Bunches,

Celene 'right red return, but is that up or down stream?'

Cuda
10-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Um, Cuda, I know nothing, but if you were trying to paint the port side, you missed. :rolleyes:

Bunches,

Celene 'right red return, but is that up or down stream?'

Good catch toona, mistakes happen when I'm watching two football games at once.:)

ToonaFish
10-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Right, like Poodle and I aren't?

Cuda
10-09-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm trying to forget the port side. I've painted the black three times and I'm still not happy with it. The paint comes off a LOT harder than it goes on. I moved over to the STARBOARD side to try to get some enthusiasm built back up. I'm still not done sanding off the port side. To give you an idea of how hard this stuff is coming off, the first picture represents about three hours of sanding with 60 grit, and the second picture is an hour after the first picture. :(

ToonaFish
10-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Debbie must be slowing down as she approaches forty. :D

Cuda
10-10-2004, 01:11 AM
She hit forty in Feburary. I'm looking to trade her in on two twenty year olds.

Fish boy
10-10-2004, 03:34 AM
I'm trying to forget the port side. I've painted the black three times and I'm still not happy with it. The paint comes off a LOT harder than it goes on. I moved over to the STARBOARD side to try to get some enthusiasm built back up. I'm still not done sanding off the port side. To give you an idea of how hard this stuff is coming off, the first picture represents about three hours of sanding with 60 grit, and the second picture is an hour after the first picture. :(

which side of the paper you sanding with? Just kidding Cuda, sorry things are not going smoothly, but I am sure it will all be worth it in the end. good luck,

fish

ToonaFish
10-11-2004, 10:41 PM
She hit forty in Feburary. I'm looking to trade her in on two twenty year olds.

It will take a herd of twenty year olds to replace Debbie, you silly man. :smash:

Cuda
10-12-2004, 06:39 AM
It will take a herd of twenty year olds to replace Debbie, you silly man. :smash:

However many it takes. :D

Cuda
10-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Taped over the black to create the two inch stripes today, then sprayed the white. This side is almost done. I just need to paint the black along the bottom.

Cuda
10-18-2004, 08:35 PM
I painted the bottom black tonight. Just for s&g's, I used a roller on it just to see how it works because I plan on using the roller on the bottom. When I started rolling it, it looked like it was going to look bad, but it's amazing how well this paint flattens itself. It looks as good as anything I sprayed, with a lot less taping and covering involved. This side is done painting now.

MOP
10-19-2004, 03:57 PM
A few years back I watched two guys paint an 80 foot sail boat with Alwgrip using a roller and a brush, I thought that will be a ****ty job. When I stopped by several days later I was amazed to see it looked glassy smooth not a dimple anywhere. I found one of the guys and asked how the got it to come out that good, shrugged his shoulder said Alwgrip pulls as it dries and it always comes out just fine. You need to tip brush the the end of each roller stroke with a good brush to flatten the excess build up and pick your weather.

Phil

Cuda
10-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Well, I screwed the pooch pretty well today. I rolled out the port side. I kept seeing little bumps. I finally figured out it was sanding dust falling from above. I got in a hurry and forgot to blow everything off first. I took paint thinner and removed it all before it got hard.

Cuda
12-31-2004, 07:55 PM
I put the last of the black on the boat today. All that's left on the sides is to put the white stripe on the transom. Well, I thought that was all until I noticed in this picture that I didn't run the black around to pick up a spot on the bottom port side. :(

MOP
01-01-2005, 09:31 AM
There is always a little something near the end, soon you will be grinning and enjoying you labor! Shot some wet shots SOON!

CMC
01-02-2005, 07:05 PM
What kind of paint did you use?

Cuda
01-02-2005, 08:01 PM
What kind of paint did you use?

Interlux Brightsides Polyurethane. This last shot I just took tonight. The stripe on the transom I used a roller instead of spraying it. It flattens real nice, you can hardly tell the sprayed from the rolled.

Footloose
01-04-2005, 10:04 AM
now that you are almost done .... got room for a 43 footer in that garage of yours?