PDA

View Full Version : Formula 26

picklefish
08-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Lenny, as Don Rumsfeld would probably say I don't know what you don't know that I know. But that aside, I just know what I read and then I usually forget where I read it so I'm probably full of all sorts of misinformation. Even though I own a '67 233, I'm not that expert on old Formulas.They weren't that common where I grew up in Greenwich on Long Island Sound, in fact I don't even remember ever seeing one. Most people back in the 60s had 25 Bertrams and there were a lot of mako 22s and later in the 60s a lot of Donzis started showing up. Most people had saiboats and until I got my own boat I had to go sailng every Saturday and Sunday on our Gaffrig Sloop plus we had either a Rhodes or a Lightning for racing. Back in '63 I had a three-point hydroplane first with a 50 merc then a couple of years later I replaced it with a 100 merc. I also had a 12 ft Aeromarine Skimmer, a plywood skiff built by a company company that oddly enough had its factory located right next door to the Greenwich Yacht Club. It was essentially a rowboat rated for 5 hp- I put sponsons on it, my 50 merc, got up to 3/4 throttle, the bottom ripped off and it sunk. Before the 13 ft Whalers came out, everybody had one. Another popular boat in the region was the Chris Craft Lancer another Wynne design. But back to the 26 Formula, I've read several places on the web that after the 233, Formula came up with a 26 footer that was designed by Peter something or other (don't remember the last name). Occasionaly one will come up on the boat trader where you can see that they don't resemble the 233's classic lines-- they don't even look like they belong to the same family.