PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit covers

bverd
08-06-2004, 06:40 AM
Does anybody have any suggestion on someone to redo a cockpit cover. This is for a 22 done in canvas.

--bverd

Cuda
08-06-2004, 07:56 AM
I don't know about redoing one, but it only cost me $198 to have a new one made for the Minx.

Ranman
08-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Why not Bilt-Rite?

bverd
08-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Cuda... where did you get it done? And I am assuming I need to send in my old one so they can use it as a template?

Ranman... I wasn't aware the BiltRite did canvas, do they? The cover I got for the 18 when I had the interior done was in the vinyl. If they do canvas I will give them a call.

--bverd

Cuda
08-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Florida Boat Tops Inc
Address: 5200 Haines Rd N, St Petersburg, FL 33714
Phone: (727) 525-7733

He also made one for my 302 Formula. It was around $400 if I remember correctly, so the 22 should fall somewhere in between. Talk to Tim.

Cuda
08-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Btw, they were both made with Sunbrella.

Sport
08-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Cuda,

Thanks for the info ! I have been meaning to buy a new one ever sense that big storm ripped mine to shreads a month ago.

Sport

Cuda
08-06-2004, 08:55 AM
He's made two full covers, two cockpit cover and a couple of cushions for the fishboat, and I couldn't be happier with the work.

Ranman
08-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Cuda... where did you get it done? And I am assuming I need to send in my old one so they can use it as a template?

Ranman... I wasn't aware the BiltRite did canvas, do they? The cover I got for the 18 when I had the interior done was in the vinyl. If they do canvas I will give them a call.

--bverd

Ah yes, vinyl is what they use. I was thinking canvas WAS vinyl. I would have though the "other" stuff would have been sunbrella or fabric, but it is too canvas.

harbormaster
08-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Bilt Rite does them in sunbrella and also the vinyl.

Give them a call. They support this website. I have never heard of the other guys.

Cuda
08-06-2004, 01:59 PM
I have never heard of the other guys.

Scot, it's not like I was shilling for the guy who made mine. I didn't even post the name until I was asked.

RPD
08-06-2004, 03:31 PM
There HAS to be a canvas shop where you live that can make a custom one in any material you might want..... look in the yellow pages.

bverd
08-06-2004, 04:05 PM
RPD... You are probably right but I would rather spend a little more effort going with someone who comes recommended then going in blindly with someone I know little to nothing about.

Cuda, Ranman... Thanks for the suggestions.

--bverd

Speed-Racer
08-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Vinyl seems to be more waterproof, and easier to dry than canvas afte rain, or morning dew.

White vinyl with stripe to match boat looks killer! :shades:

Cuda
08-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Vinyl doesn't breathe, and the interior will get moldy. I have a type of vinyl on my fish boat because it doesn't have any upholstery. I think it was called Sharkskin.

harbormaster
08-08-2004, 02:52 PM
I think I heard Cuda shilling. Didn't everyone else see that also? :)

smoothie
08-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Yep! shillin :yes:

Speed-Racer
08-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Cuda how do you cover up your boat?

We don't ever use the cockpit cover except trailering, and when at events.

At home we use a small tarp for the cockpit back, and a boat cover to cover the whole boat, works great!

Cuda
08-08-2004, 05:07 PM
I planned on having a full cover made, but I ran out of time when the mechanic said he was ready to install the engine. At that point, only the cockpit cover was made and I planned on bringing it back to have the full cover made. Then we got involved with moving, and I didn't get a chance to get it back there to him to have it made. I also only use the cockpit cover on my Formula when I'm at a poker run, or have to leave it uncovered for a night for some other reason. I plan on having one like this made for the Minx too.

Speed-Racer
08-08-2004, 05:12 PM
I like the full cover...one big cover to keep it all dry, and fits like a glove :yes:

What's the pricing on one?

Cuda planning on any Poker Runs?

Cuda
08-08-2004, 05:27 PM
The cover for the Formula cost $1500, and worth every penny of it. Interiors and paint cost a whole lot more than that. In my opinion, unless you store inside, a quality cover is the best money you will ever spend on your boat.

It seems to me that he quoted me around $500 to make one for the Minx like that. I really am not sure, but I remember thinking it was a good deal. He basically charges according to how much material he uses. The Formula used A LOT. The cover for the fishboat with the sharkskin was $328 I think, it's been a few years ago he made that one.

Speed-Racer
08-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Thanks Cuda! Just wanted to get an idea.

A good cover, is something I'm lacking. Half the boat is kept dry, and the deck get's wet when it rains, even under the el-cheapo cover.

Moody Blu'
08-08-2004, 05:48 PM
I had my cockpit cover made in NJ from a company called quickie canvas, they came to my boat and took dimensions. I got a factory looking canvas for around 250 bux, i know its alot. I used a special canvas called TOP GUN. it last longer then anything out there.

Cuda
08-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks Cuda! Just wanted to get an idea.

A good cover, is something I'm lacking. Half the boat is kept dry, and the deck get's wet when it rains, even under the el-cheapo cover.

No problem. Do you ever get over towards the St John's River? We need to get together for a run. Or I can make it to any of the middle of the state lakes.

Speed-Racer
08-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Cuda, we live right over the St. Johns River bridge in Sanford.

We were always on the river, until the motor in the 16 blew-up in July. We've Been out in the x-18 twice, trying to get to float and run :smash:

You've got mail!

Cuda
08-08-2004, 08:41 PM
We live half a mile from where Hwy 44 crosses the river in Deland. Just yesterday, Debbie and I were headed to Orlando and took 17 to the interstate. I told her we needed to get over there to Lake Monroe and check it out. Is there plenty of water in that lake, or do you need to watch it for shallow water?