PDA

View Full Version : Sea Strainers

picklefish
08-05-2004, 09:16 PM
I have a 1967 233 Formula, the original Donzi with a Mercruiser II outdrive and a GM small block with through hull exhaust and the same factory through the transom water pickup as the trs drive with a 1 1/4" nipple. Even though I'm running in relatively clean fresh water, I'm thinking of installing a sea strainer. Does anybody Know why there's a left hand and a right hand and why you might choose one over the other?

gcarter
08-05-2004, 09:27 PM
I guess I don't understand the question about left and right hand, can you be more specific?

picklefish
08-05-2004, 09:58 PM
That's the problem, I'm looking at these things on the internet on sites like Marine Machine, Gil Marine, Livorsi Marine, Teague Custom Marine and the models are all listed as left hand or right hand or straight through left or 90 degree left, or drop down left, or u-turn right and I'm assuming you must mount these things on the side of a stringer or maybe on the inside transom if you want it above the water line if that's even a good idea. I'm also guessing that perhaps left means that your water intake is left of the engine, but I have no idea if left is if your looking forward or aft. So far I e-mailed Gill to see what they mean but haven't yet gotten a reply. So I guess I'm just trying to start a thread about what people know about sea strainers in general and installing them in specific.

gcarter
08-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Hmmmm..... I can offer this;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36014

and you can see I used a straight through. I went from one side to the other because I wanted a shut off and you only have so much room. :)

MOP
08-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Left Right whats the difference? Just pipe in to in and out to out never saw one that was not marked well. The one that George has is a very good unit unless you are into glitz.

Phil

picklefish
08-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Glitzy can get expensive. The perkos seem reasonable the Gills are about 245 and I think the Marine machines were around seven hundred and something. They all look like they might function pretty much the same with the expensive ones just looking like they were machined out of a big chunk of metal. The picture of the installation helps. Things get a lot easier when you see what a few other people have done.