PDA

View Full Version : Drive Question

GKricheldorf
08-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Hey Guys,

I got a replacement Alpha One, but i'm having a little issue installing it. The shift lever on the new drive rotates clockwise, but the lever on my old drive goes counter clockwise. How can i determine what the rotation is supposed to be? The serial number on my old drive is OB614736 H Also when i rotate my engine (std rotation) with the drive in forward gear the prop spins backwards. Did i get the wrong drive?

GeneD
08-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Your description of what is there and what is going on is confusing.
It may be, and I'm trying to be a Sherlock Holmes here and decipher your post, that you have bought a counter-rotating drive.

GKricheldorf
08-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Hey Gene,

Yea - that is kind of a confusing post.

I may have installed the shift shoe wrong when i put the drive together. I'm going to take another look at it on Saturday.

Rootsy
08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
did you put the two halves together?

the splined shift shaft should be rotated hard to the stop (CW when viewed from above)while rotating prop CCW when viewed from stern. this will assure full forward gear. when the two halves are joined the shift lever in the upper half should be aligned straight forward.. the splined shaft and the lever in this position should mate perfectly...

when rotating after assembly into reverse the lever should rotate CCW when viewed from above.. just over 90* before engaging while rotating the prop CW when viewed from stern.

the prop rotation may sound backward but it is locking the clutch dog against the dog teeth in the gears which are in constant mesh with th epinion... so if the drive is pushing the propshaft then the prop will spin the correct direction...

there is no counter rotating transom assembly therefore the shift lever in the drive should have the same movement in both setups... unless of coourse i have forgotten soemthing.. i have not so much as laid eyes on a Counter rotating alpha in nearly a decade... i am all too familiar again with standard rotation stuff though :nuke:

GKricheldorf
08-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks Rootsy - I did put the two halves together. I'm going to take them apart on Saturday and figure it out. Your post really helps !!!

Thanks
Glenn