PDA

View Full Version : Deck-off...Day 2

Tony
08-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Spent most of today grinding tabs and boogers, and razor-blading caulk. Then off to the car wash for a good scrub down as I am planning on painting the inside of the hull while it is opened up.

Questions:

#1 Is there a solvent that will cut silicone caulk?
There is only a thin amount left but I want it cleaned completely.

#2 What would be a good poly paint for the hull?
It can't be too thick for the sprayer, and it is not for the bilge.

#3 Who has foam secrets to share?
The product I'm using (4 lb. density - http://uscomposites.com/foam.html ) looks like it kicks fairly quick. We are planning on using upside down joist hangers, temporarily screwed to the stringers, with 2 x 4's on edge to hold the tank down while pouring foam.
Four or six small pours or two bigger ones? I do not want voids and am trying to visualize the best way to pour this foam. It says multiple pours are o.k., and when done we will trim the foam and coat it with resin.

#4 When will the itching stop?

Ranman
08-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Tony, you have balls the size of coconuts! I love it man. She's looking good.

Oh, sorry I couldn't offer any constructive help, but I just had to throw that in there. :D

ToonaFish
08-04-2004, 10:24 PM
I am in awe!

(I, however, will not speculate on the size of your coconuts.)

MOP
08-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Multiple pours work fine and don't get scary, its good to block the tank so it don't move. The foam like to push it where it wants, don't worry about voids. It has been mentioned in several posts to glass the PVC tube so no water can find its way into the cavity, between that and the closed cell foam it should stay dusty dry. This is your first time, you can get a feel for how quick it goes off and how much it expands by pouring about two table spoons full in a soda can that has the top cut off.

Phil

MOP
08-04-2004, 10:44 PM
A--- P.S. tape/mask of any close by areas you don't want it to get on, it is messy and sticks to everything it touches.

cigarette30
08-04-2004, 11:52 PM
"Goof Off" works well on silicone, rub a little on, let it sit for a few, then it will come off fairly easy. Reapply if needed, the second time, should be even easier.

Keep it away from any good paint.

mphatc
08-05-2004, 05:47 AM
Tank Install . . .as Phil stated block the tank, I set mine on glassed in oak blocks, and these had a hard plastic ( 6 bondo spatulas) glued over them so the tank wouldn't be resting on the glass covering the spacer blocks.

To hold the tank in place I merely used C clamps on the stringers and set them to apply a small force on the tank.

Yes the foam cures and expands quickly, mask as Phil stated, wish I had . . :eek!: I calculated the volume to fill from the information on the can of foam solution, mixed 3 separate batches and poured each one after the previous had kicked. It came out spot on!

Mario

gcarter
08-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Tony, I think we need to know where this paint is going before we can make any suggestions.
When my deck comes off, I'm planning on extending the bilge paint up under the tub. :wavey:

RvR
08-05-2004, 07:11 AM
The itching will subside greatly 3 to 4 months after you stop playing with fiberglass. :eek!: Although you may experience flash backs when you look into the bilge. :shocking:

gcarter
08-05-2004, 07:21 AM
I just noticed in the third picture, that you haven't reinstalled the PVC pipe drain in the tank area. May I suggest you experiment and find the largest pipe you can install and not raise the tank? The original 3/4" drains pretty slowly. For instance, 1" pipe has twice the area of 3/4" pipe.

mattyboy
08-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Tony,
looking real good ;)
just a reminder after you paint the tub, it can get a lil slippery when wet and there are better ways to check your stringers then smacking your head against them ( don't ask how I know this :rolleyes:) and replace everything you can't get to in the bilge( with the top on) while the top is off again don't ask me how I know this. i just made sure everything worked and replaced somethings in hindsight I should have replaced everything.

Matty

sweet 16 1966
08-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Looks Great!
I am just painting the deck of my 66-16'.
Hope to put it back together this weekend if my trip to Orlando doesn't slow down the progress.

Rich
08-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Tony...
Looks like your doing the right job.

Use epoxy and seal the exposed wood on all the drain holes in the stringers and bulkheads.

Morgan's Cloud
08-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Err , I'l only say this once Tony, :biggrin:

I'm still waiting for my 4lb foam to come so if you get yours in first , can you make a note of the humidity and temperature and let me know how quickly yours fires off ? I will be sure to do the sample thing first but it will be usefull to know how fast this stuff goes off .. Actually it might be usefull to know what you think of its 'expandability' too ... does it get as big (harhar :biggrin: ) as the 2lb stuff ? .. so many questions ..
Steve