PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a gas leak

Greg Maier
08-03-2004, 07:12 PM
There is a constant, low level smell of gas in the cockpit area of my 22. What is the best way to track down a gas leak? Is there some kind of dye that I could buy to put in the gas so I could see where it is leaking from? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

MOP
08-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Greg just a shot, your boat is open to the front under deck area like mine, the fill hose, the vent hose and the sending unit are all easy to check. You may have it fill the tank to the brim then lower the tongue jack all the way down, so the gas is fully against all the connections and the sending unit. If it is a leak at the top of the tank that usualy make it weep enough so you can see it. One of the most common is the sending unit gasket, not a bad job but you do need to be careful. If it is the sender don't just replace the gasket, find gasoline sealer. Most marine dealers will have a product called Gas Oiler, red goop that you brush a thin coat on both aides of the gasket. Tigthten the screws just past snug and leave them, it is very easy to over tighten and strip the holes in the tank.

Phil

Greg Maier
08-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks Phil,

I did replace the sender unit last year, but I did not use any kind of sealant on it.

Donzigo
08-03-2004, 10:09 PM
.............let me tell you what NOT to do:

"Light a match".

Murphy
08-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Phil is on the right track I think. Even if one of the screws that holds the sender in place is loose or has worked it's way out you'll get quite a bit of gas coming out. Being at the back of the tank the sender area gets filled to the top every time you take off. Is this an aluminum tank? PS...be outrageously careful. How old is the boat and what is the tank material?

Murph

Greg Maier
08-06-2004, 05:36 AM
It is a 1995 boat, so not that old. The tank is aluminum, I beleive.

Murphy
08-06-2004, 06:56 PM
OK, given the age of the boat and the aluminum tank, I think we can rule out a tank leak. It's got to be along the lines of what we've discussed. It doesn't take a very big gas leak to create a lot of gas smell. Look for a bad seal or loose screw.

Murph