PDA

View Full Version : 22' Classic questions

Brian_B
08-02-2004, 09:19 PM
I have been a long time lurker and finally think I am ready to be a Donzi owner and had soem questions for the experts:

1. How would a 22' Classic rate as a first boat?
2. I was told that a 496 H.O will hit 75mph, true or salesman hype?
3. How much should I expect to pay for annual upkeep?
4. Is National Marine a business that I want to deal with or should I look at another dealer?
5. Would it be wise to buy brand new or used, will I really save much$$$ buying a low hour used over new?

Sorry if this is to long for a first post but i have been reading this site a long time and had several questions on my mind.

Brian_B
08-02-2004, 09:23 PM
http://www.nationalmarine.com/boats/used/03_donzi22/03_donzi22.html

Here is one of the boats I am considering, what would a good price on a boat like this be?

gold-n-rod
08-02-2004, 10:21 PM
http://http://www.nationalmarine.com/boats/used/03_donzi22/03_donzi22.html[/url]

Ya got too many "http://" in the link you posted.

another Randy

cigarette30
08-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Ya got too many "http://" in the link you posted.

another Randy

Couple of points in no order:

1) 75 is seldom, PERFECT conditions, plan on 72/74 consistantly, but I have seen 75.2 GPS

2) Upkeep, there is an old saying, plan 10% of cost yearly, some may think this is high, depends if you really keep it right

3) New, like everything, the first hit is bad, at least $5,000 to $10,000, even more .... but if you plan on keeping it long term, you know what you have ... just divide it out

4) It's a great boat..... but let no-one kid you, it does demand respect at top speed trimmed, and plenty of "seat time". Powerboat mag. tested a 500 efi (only at 75mph), and felt very uneasy. Thier test drivers are masters, just to little "seat time" in this boat, my opinion.

txtaz
08-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Cig30 is correct about seat time. I have been driving fast sport boats all my life and the 18 Classic is the first one I had to take it easy with and get to really know at speed.
What are they asking for the boat? Also www.nadaguides.com can give you blue book values on it.
Good luck finding your boat.
Wes

Donzigo
08-03-2004, 07:21 AM
Great looking boat. You'll probably pay around $40,000, my guess; but, if you go on Boat Trader and see what they are going for, you'll get a better idea. National Marine is like any other company. It's the person you are dealing with that matters most. Honest, genuine person = easier purchase, IMHO. 75 MPH?, probably more like 70MPH.........depends on many factors, weight, conditions, people aboard, etc. You'll pay for impeller, plugs, oil changes each year, & gimble beering, outdrive oil, filters, all are low cost on a new vessel. After a few years, exhaust manifolds will be needed, depends on how much you use it and flush it. That's around $1,000 with labor & parts. Use lots of WD40 each trip and that will help. If you want to use the boat and put it away until the next time, your maintenance costs will be higher. You got to show it some love........

Nice frist boat, lots of power, for sure. Be careful to keep your ego in check, or you might put it in the trees........kinda like the "rich kid" in high school who's dad buys him a Vette.

Stay away from picture #1, you'll like the picture #2, the Classic 22 is a "chick magnet" for sure.

laidback027
08-03-2004, 10:20 AM
I have been at the helm of alot of small boats 20 and under. I saw a red 22 classic around the age of 16 and bought one two years ago at the age of 29. The first time in her was incredible and handled great. After "seat time" it kept getting better and better. Make sure your friends know how to hold on and always keep the stall clip on you. I do not put alot of hours on my boat but every year I get the engine onced over, the drive pulled out and checked, new plugs..etc. It runs me around 250-350 depending on parts. I put stainless manifolds on this year $1800 and worth every penny.

1. The 22 is a hell of a boat for your first boat. If you have been at the helm of other boats you should be ok. The 22 needs a bit more attention that other boats.

2.Don't know..mine has a 385 carb and does 68-70 GPS.

3. 250-500....again depending on parts.

4.Don't know

5. I bought mine used and saved a ton. If you can fix minor things and can work with tools you should be fine with a good low hour boat. IF USED MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ENGINE TESTED!!! I learned the hard and idiot way.

ChromeGorilla
08-03-2004, 10:33 AM
brian...here's the scoop. i wanted to buy that boat a few months back. I offered him 42k. He said no way he was into the boat for at least 50k. I waited and offered him 44k a few months later and no dice. It's an '03. I just bought a 2005 22C with 496HO for 43500, and 2k for a trailer. So if yer gonna drop 40-45 k on a boat get a new one. i may be wrong but personally i think they want way to much for that 03.

ChromeGorilla
08-03-2004, 10:45 AM
As far as a good boat for ya. i grew up driving my fathers boats and drive 33'security boats in the military. I consider myself fairly decent as a boat operator. I have had my 22 for a month now and only recently have i started to feel like i now exactly how she will react and handle. it is a finnicky boat. Take yer time with her as i have learned. I was quickly aware of how quickly she could bite back. i see 71-72 consistantly with a fairly full load. 74.6 was best with no passengers and light fuel, but only hit that twice. With this boat it seems to me that the water conditions usually limit top end. any chop or wake at those speeds it gets very scary very quick. Just my 2 cents

RickSE
08-03-2004, 11:12 AM
For you guys in TX, if interested, my dad owns a Donzi/ProLine dealership in New Mexico and will sell for a very fair price. It would have to be a new order though and would be a similar deal to what ChromeGorilla describes. The worst part about buying a new boat here out West though is the delivery cost. I had a 04' on order and was going to go pick it up myself in FL due to the high delivery costs.

Ditto on what everyone else says about the 22. It's a great boat, especially with the 496 MAG-HO or more power. It is a driver's boat and seat time is the key. I'm learning this first hand, our boat should run close to 80 but I'm getting there slowly, 70 so far :biggrin: .

Good luck, let me know if I can help. firstvee@yahoo.com

txtaz
08-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Oh Brian, Forgot to mention. Let me know when you need maitenance. I can tell you where to get it done here in SA. If your a DIY, I can give you a hand with it also. I just did all mine a few months back and it's not hard. I also have an OilBoy for changing oil if you want it cheap. I put in the thru hull oil change hose because it drains all the oil out.
Lastly, Poode is the man for parts. He's in Miami, but parts show up here in 3 days regular ground. I might also have a case of Merc engine oil if you need it. I'm changing over to synthetics in the off season.
Wes

boldts
08-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Brian,

I have to agree with everything that's been suggested so far. Yes, money can be saved by buying used, but if I was going to spend that much on a 03' and I could get an 05' for close to the same money, I'd buy new. Reason being, you can order the boat just the way you like it and you have a brand new warranty to work with. No one has dinked with the boat before your purchase.

I'm partial to the navy and white. I've always liked that color combo because you tend to see many more red and white Donzi boats. Doesn't mean I don't also like those boats, I just like to be a little different. Here again, if you order new, you don't have to go with white interior. I've seen the dark blue with tan or cream interior and accents. I like it! You might want to do a candy cane blue interior. Point is, when you order new, you get what you want and how you want it. The K-Planes are a nice addition. Do you have to have them? No, but they will help your pricing when and if you ever decide to sell the boat. Your the one who will be the owner. You need to decide what you want to pay and how you want the boat to look along with the options that fit your needs.

Last, since your in Texas, while there are fresh water lakes there, you also have some great boating in salt water waters. That Eagle trailer is pretty, but you won't want to be dipping it in salt water. I'd opt for a quality aluminum trailer over the steel trailer.

Interesting that some feel the 22 Classic is twitchy. I agree in confused waters, she'll demand your respect and there is no better way to learn the boat than seat time. There are many 22 Classic owners on this site doing 80 plus with these hulls. Just because a boat comes with a prop from the factory does not always mean it is the best prop to run on the boat.

They don't call boats "A hole in your wallet" because they can't think of anything else to call them. You'll find yourself always wanting to spend the extra cash on some item for your boat. Get what you want from the get-go. Take care of it. There will obviously be that instance when you mess up. Fix the damage and learn from it. Most important, enjoy your time on the water and be safe about it. Good luck in your Donzi search!

gold-n-rod
08-03-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. How would we answer a guy who asks: "I've always wanted a car and I think I want a Corvette for my first car. What do you think?" Before we gave the green light, we'd want to know how long the person had been driving a car (any car) and what kind of driver they are. Next, we'd want to know of they've ever even driven a 'Vette or some other high performance car. Plus, we'd want to know what he would use the 'Vette for. If he asked, "Is it true that it will do 175 mph?" would we encourage him to buy the car without more info?

I'd like to know a little more about what the owner is looking to do with a 75 mph boat (One that requires some degree of experience to pilot) and what his boating experience is before encouraging him along.

IMHO, a 496HO 22' Classic is NOT the ideal "starter" boat.

just my 2 cents worth.

another Randy

Dr. Dan
08-03-2004, 05:33 PM
:smash: I like the Vette Analogy....Personally....I seldom get over 60.....mostly due to Water and Wake Conditions....last weekend.....during the run...we may have hit 60 on a very few occassions...the water was sooooo nasty and confused that 50 felt like 90MPH.

Just because your boat goes X Fast....doesn't mean you should drive that fast....I think its a maturity and seat time issue....like the 16 to 18 year olds in their Zip Cars and Bikes....I used to call them Immortals....cuz they can't die...."they have no fear".... I can tell ya Fear is a good thing....ask anyone on this board ....who knows.....and who has been there....Speed on Water is a serious departure from land speed. :checkered

All boats are a handful if you are not going to take the time to learn how to safely drive them.....I think any Donzi is a very nice first boat...I was fortunate enough to have found our 22 as my first Water Toy....but I have 20 years plus Boating experience.....just not as an Owner.

Sounds like if ya got the Jing $$$$ I would go New if ya can Swing it....I have'nt looked at the National Boat....but if its the White Hull with Solid Navy Stripe....they wanted mid 50's....which is dreaming....unfortunately that boat is worth closer to Mid 30's.....maybe 37,500.

However...a very good friend just paid less than $25 for a Cherry 22, with a Trailer ready for Salt or Fresh....and its a Sweetheart of a Boat...so there are deals out there....

Be Patient...."Cash Is King".....always....

A Blind Man and a Monkey can get paper today...so a loan is always an option....I like the Green.... :rlol:

Doc of Nebulous Diatribes

Donzigo
08-03-2004, 10:22 PM
....in reading the various posts, I agree with all. As Dr. dan says: "he doesn't go real fast", netiher do I. I've been boating 30 years, on my 11th boat, small ones(13 ft Whaler), big ones ( 41 Ft Chris Crafts), and all in bewteen. Now, a 22 & 33 Donzi. Even, though the Z-33 goes 60MPH, I rarely go over 45. Why do I want to go fast and be off the water quicker? So, jump in and get wet and buy that "big D" you want, cuz there ain't no Wells Fargo trucks in a funeral procession, baby!

Cuda
08-03-2004, 10:58 PM
I guess I'm in the same boat, so to speak, as Donzigo. I spend probably 85% of my time under 50, and 95% under 70 in my 302 Formula. At 70, things can go real bad real quick.

The reason I even bought my first performance boat was because I had a 206 Formula pass me when I was in my fishboat getting beat by a nasty chop. He went by me like he was on a millpond. I love the ride of a performance boat.

Cuda
08-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Richard, Debbie might argue the fact that you "don't go fast" after that ride you gave her in Jr's 22. As I recall, that was the same day I saw both props of the 33 out of the water. :lookaroun

smoothie
08-04-2004, 09:33 AM
If I had to pick I would go with to much over not having enough,after you get a handle on the boat,it will cost big bucks to do it later,so if speed is in your blood and why else would you want a Donzi...go with the ponies.If ya have money to burn order a new one and get what you little heart desires,like color,sound,HP,outdrive but if you dont want to take the big hit the first yr,I would keep my eye on boatrader.com this fall and pick up a good deal on a Donzi in the northeast part of the country,believe me you can find a boat up north 10 yrs old and be like new.good luck!

blackhawk
08-04-2004, 09:36 AM
I'd have to say that 95% of my boating is at 0-6 mph and 5% is at 70+ mph :D

I think as long as you use your head and take it easy until you know the boat you can handle the 22 as a first boat. There's people out there that have been boating for years but are total idiots and they are way more dangerous than a newbie. I went from a 19' boat with a 8' beam that did 55 mph to the blackhawk. Huge learning curve but I took it easy in confused waters until I learned how the boat reacted.

I think 75 is very optimistic, but what sales person isn't?

Annual upkeep is a crapshoot. Basically keep up on the preventative maintenance and hope that nothinng breaks. Change the engine and drive oil often, keep everything greased, re-tighten bolts than tend to loosen, etc.

If you want a 22 go for it. Get what you want. As far as new or used that's another crapshoot. If you do buy used have a knowledeable person look at with you.

Good Luck!

ChromeGorilla
08-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Brian here is another option for ya. 03 for 38 ish...http://www.trickmarine.net/prodlist.cfm?categoryid=15&showmenu=

Brian_B
08-04-2004, 04:12 PM
You guys are the nicest people and I greatly appreciate all the help...I have been around boats forever(mostly Bajas)and I have over 100 hours seat time in a 25' Outlaw that runs about 68mph(friends boat)...I love the lines of the 22' and have a deep passion to own one, but I did'nt have anyone to get opinions from that had first hand knowledge till I found this great site:biggrin.: I really don't need a brand new boat but I would like something in great shape 3 years or less( I think)...Where is there a Donzi dealer in TX? I live in the Magnolia/Conroe area and only know of Marine Max in Houston that sells performance boats...Thanks again for all the help:cool:

ITTLFLI
08-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Brian here is another option for ya. 03 for 38 ish...http://www.trickmarine.net/prodlist.cfm?categoryid=15&showmenu=

I believe this boat is at Nelems marine in Jasper, AL (near Birmingham) and Robert the owner is one of the most honest guys I have ever meet! Very fair to deal with!

Brian_B
08-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Talked to Robert Nelems and the 22' was sold about 3 months ago...What about an 18'? he has an 18' with a 350 mag 300hp(mid 60's)....Any other suggestions?

Dr. Dan
08-04-2004, 06:47 PM
:bonk: I am biased.....but I would hold out for a 22....There are plenty of them out there....be patient. Look at all of the sites and keep your ear to the ground.

Timing is everything......come to some Donzi Events...and ride in some different models.....you'll get first hand knowledge of the differences....and its cheap knowledge.

Good Luck

Possum Kingdom is in your neck of the woods....?

Doc :rlol:

Barry Phillips
08-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi Brian, I purchased a 02 22 Classic last year with a 496 Mag, on the same Eagle trailer in as the boat your looking at, except for that it's red and white, with a red trailer. I wanted the HO but dropped out of negotiations with a local dealer, because he pissed me off. I was looking at 03s when I came across my 22 on the Internet; I really wanted the stainless framed windshield, no longer available. At the time I could have pre-ordered a 03 with the HO on a Myco trailer for about 45.000 K. I purchased my 02, a left over with no hours on it, dual batteries, CD stereo, deft finder, Corsa Slient Choice Plus, and the Eagle custom trailer in the high thirties, plus a great trade in for my Classic 18.

Under the right conditions I have seen 71 mph in my 22, it will run a solid 68 to 70 mph depending on load, water conditions, humidly etc. It took some wheel time getting used to it, a very different boat than my 18. The top speed is right in factory specs, so the HO should run 2 to 3 mph faster. Last weekend I tangled with a couple kids in a big block Baja, I let them run up on me a put the hammer down. I really aired it out running in 2 to 3 foot lake chop; the 22 won the day. The deep vee loves wind blown chop but likes to get air, I felt the prop break loose at least once. On the flip side the narrow hull can bite you in confused water. The K Plains look really cool on that 22 but not really necessary with the 496HO set up. All Classic Donzis are a blast to drive but command respect and your attention to drive fast, Although these are not starter boats, I would say buy your dream 22 and get the seat time, these are fun boat especially in the rough stuff. What is the dealer asking for the boat, dose it have any hours on it?

cigarette30
08-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Talked to Robert Nelems and the 22' was sold about 3 months ago...What about an 18'? he has an 18' with a 350 mag 300hp(mid 60's)....Any other suggestions?

Nelems had 2, are they both sold? They were great buys! Everyone seems in agreement, the 22 Classic is a fun ride, just be careful! It is quite an accomplishment when learned though ..... and I can provide proof (pictures of two GPS readouts) of 75 mph, but as I mentioned, perfect conditions.

Brian_B
08-05-2004, 03:09 AM
Possum Kingdom is in your neck of the woods....?

Doc :rlol:No I am closer to Eagle Lake and Conroe.

The first time I saw a Donzi Classic up close was when a young guy that I see in my area in an "Outerlimits" Dodge truck pulled out of a service station with his boat. I rolled a stop sign just to get a closer look, it was love at first sight. About 2 weeks later I found myself becoming increasingly interested in owning a Donzi Classic and becoming excited at the thought of having my own. I use to see the truck at least once a week and now that I have a reason to chat with the guy I never see him. He owns a few very nice boats, the last one I saw was about the size of a semi trailer and looked like a racing boat with 2 engines and a wild paint job.

I am going to be buying this boat basically on my own(with the help from here of course)and some input from my wife(color combo is her big deal)...So guys lead me the way and please advise on who I can trust, and who will take advantage of me being new to boating.

EricG
08-05-2004, 10:24 AM
No I am closer to Eagle Lake and Conroe.

The first time I saw a Donzi Classic up close was when a young guy that I see in my area in an "Outerlimits" Dodge truck pulled out of a service station with his boat. I rolled a stop sign just to get a closer look, it was love at first sight. About 2 weeks later I found myself becoming increasingly interested in owning a Donzi Classic and becoming excited at the thought of having my own. I use to see the truck at least once a week and now that I have a reason to chat with the guy I never see him. He owns a few very nice boats, the last one I saw was about the size of a semi trailer and looked like a racing boat with 2 engines and a wild paint job.

The classic/dodge combo you saw didn't look anything like the pictures below did it? :rolleyes:

If so, I may know something about it :biggrin:

-EG

RickSE
08-05-2004, 10:50 AM
Wow, a lot of great comments here.

For me, I bought an 18-C from my dad's dealership in 1999. It was a great boat, very fun and easy to drive but I always wanted a 22-C. I never thought it would happen but then things just clicked, I found a local buyer for the 18 and the 22 of my dreams fell into my lap. So in 2004 I bought my second Donzi through my dad. Again the 18 is a great boat but everytime I saw a 22 I'd start to daydream about what could be...

If your planning on buying less than 3 years old then I'd look for a left-over deal through a dealership or just bite the bullet and order new. Most private parties selling fairly new stuff seem to have high asking prices. Just my opinions.

Brian_B
08-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Eric G. That is the boat and truck that I saw:eek!: :hyper:

Do you know who the young guy is?
Do you have any contact info so I would have a local semi-close to me that could possibly help me out?
What size Donzi is that?

What are the other boats that this guy has(just curious because it looks like some high dollar toys)?

I found 2 dealers in TX: Extreme Marine in Dallas and Gulf Coast Yacht sales in Seabrook.

Anyone know either of these places?

RacingStripe
08-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Hi, new member here. I'm hoping for a 22 C for the lake. I understand the 22 has a LOA of 22' 6". I'm wondering how much length the Bravo adds to hull. Trailer length is not a concern as I have a marine rail system into the garage. :)

EricG
08-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Eric G. That is the boat and truck that I saw:eek!: :hyper:

Do you know who the young guy is?
Do you have any contact info so I would have a local semi-close to me that could possibly help me out?
What size Donzi is that?

What are the other boats that this guy has(just curious because it looks like some high dollar toys)?

I found 2 dealers in TX: Extreme Marine in Dallas and Gulf Coast Yacht sales in Seabrook.

Anyone know either of these places?

That's actually my boat :biggrin.: It's a 1976 18'. I bought it this spring from Keith (KRAKMEUP) down that way.

The guy in the OL Dodge is Larry (105_MPH_38 on OSO and Speedwake). His family owns a Trucking company, so most of the boats you see him pulling around are boats he is shipping (mine included). He was nice enough to pick my boat up and store it at the warehouse until it was ready to ship out (which ended up being quite awhile :banghead: ), although they did do a good job shipping the boat once they found a truck to put it on. He is a really nice guy who loves to talk, if you ever have a chance to chat with him...it's pretty entertaining.... He couldn't believe the attention he got towing my classic around. He said he towes Cigarettes, OuterLimits, and other HUGE dollar boats all the time, and he got more attention with my little classic than any other boat :).

He mentioned that he was having an Outerlimits built, I'm not sure if he's gotten it yet.

Anyway, good luck with the hunt for a classic. I haven't actually gotten to ride in a 22...but based on the way the 18 runs, it's got to be an amazing ride. There are quite a few members down your way (including the Harbormaster himself), you should be able to attend some great gatherings when you find the right boat.

-EG
"The feeling of pride when you find out your boat corrupted someone is indescribable :biggrin.: "

Brian_B
08-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up and I hope to run into him again soon. You do have a very beautiful boat in person that demands attention:pimp:

I am going to start making some phone calls next week when I get a few days off. If I order a boat how long does it typically take to be built?

And thanks again for all the great help, it is appreciated:D

RickSE
08-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Brian,
Island One Marine (http://www.islandonemarine.com) , Port Aransas TX, used to be a Donzi dealer. I'm not sure if they are still a listed dealer but you may want to give tham a call and see. We currently have the 22, in inventory, that they still have listed online :confused: .

ChromeGorilla
08-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Brian...ordered mine the second week in may of this year and took delivery on July second. realize i got in in fl too. I'm sure times vary slightly. 6-8 weeks i suppose.

pmreed
08-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Brian, Drive down, the Bravo adds ~29" to the LOA.

Phil

Barry Phillips
08-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Racing Strip, my 18 was 24.5 feet on a single axle trailer, so it barely fit in my 25' poll barn. Ironically the 22 only takes up another 18’s, so I cut a hole in the door for now and built a 24" by 22" box to cover the hole. The boat, drive and winch fit in the confines of the barn. I'm planning on a 24' by 30' garage. On the Eagle trailer the 22 is about 27 feet from the prop to the tongue.

RacingStripe
08-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the replies, looks like a 22 will fit in the garage with a couple of mods. :wavey:

Brian_B
08-07-2004, 02:54 AM
2002 Special Edition 22' Classic

What is your opinion on this boat? Would it be a more wise investment? Will this boat hold more value by being a special edition? I will call them today and see what they want for it. Are there any differences on this '02 vs '05? What would a good offer be on this boat?

Or would I be better of buying a '05 with a 496 HO built to my specs?

Brian_B
08-07-2004, 12:24 PM
http://www.islandonemarine.com/sales/fs_newboats.htm

Here is the boat that I had in mind, sold it over a month ago:bawling:

RickSE
08-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Brian,
The black SE from Island One is in our inventory, unfortunately though not for sale.

We did find out this week that Donzi will still build a HP500EFI 22-Classic at a customer's/dealer's request, at least until the supply of 500's dries up. The 500EFI's are being discontinued but for the time being they are still available. Due to the increased HP Donzi will not build a 22 with the replacement HP525EFI motor package. Long story short, you can order a 2005 22-Classic with the HP500EFI that would come equipped just like the SE's available in 02'-03', not sure on the graphics though. Best news is that the pricing is very similar to that of 2003. Drop me a line if you’re interested in finding out more about this boat, firstvee@yahoo.com .

I love the SE's and think the boat is perfect, having everything a person needs to go fast, safely and in style. It is not a cheap boat though, the main reason why only three factory boats have been built to date.