PDA

View Full Version : THUNDERBOAT ALLEY, a work in "progress"

Lenny
07-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Well, amongst other things, the excavator "dude" (most sought after here ) called me about a week before MADCOW and said he was coming over. Anyways, we have had a PILE of rock here (4-5 Footers) for akmost a year and half waiting for him. Needless to say, I said YES !!! I am ready !!!... :rolleyes:

To make a long story short, we are building an outside Bar for people (friends and family) on my property and the theme is as above and I am stocking it with offshore memorbilia and such, Donzi 16 front bow/cooler, an OLD looking building/saloon facade for a face to the bar (and tall) a few palm trees (they love it here) and old buoys, rope, chain and probably engine sounds and all the rest.

I have a real LARGE ( Highways) intersection light, hence the need for the signs to place below it. It will be a "Lenny rendition" of Thunderboat Alley in Miami.

If anyone that comes here does not want to know why it is here, or the history behind it, then they can chat with the German Shepherd. :D

It consists of three decks, the pictures don't do it justice, but anyways, the first deck has a teak and black canvas outdoor patio set.
The second deck has a brick oven (still to be made) and bar-b-q.
The third deck is the bar and building.

In all it will probably hold about 30 people very comfortably. Since I only have one friend this should work out Great!!! :D

Anyways, much like Tuvells pool day by day, I will keep anyone interested in this project up to speed as well. It will happen FAST.
The decks are going to be stamped concrete with a wooden plank pattern c/w old nails and bolts cast into it. There is a DONZI coming out of the building when done, like a Hollywood freakshow for effect. Hopefully I can show it in all its' glamour by the end of September. :D

1) We start this pictorial with the "trailer trash photo" of Deneen and I (so many times) sitting under the palm (real) in a pile of rock...1 1/2 years now :rolleyes: Yes, that is a furnace fan similating an offshore breeze in Biscayne Bay...

2) The 7 load pile of rock, 3-4-5' footers has been here for 1 1/2 years in the way. :mad: Anyways, we ended buying 28 (YES 28) more loads of rock to do this, let alone another 100 yards of road base and 150 yards of shot rock 18- for trailer turnarounds and land re-clamation.

3) There were too many trees here still. I cleared literally hundreds and hundreds in 1989 when I bought it as raw forest. These 4 made the first corner of a 500' driveway hell so I gassed the 4 Firs in order to widen it. Now a 22' footer can drive up and turn around and flush without trouble.

4) As stated above, we got 28 more loads of 4-5's rock to complete walls and build-outs and THUNDERBOAT ALLEY. Here is one of that many...

5) I made up three sets of pilings, to give it a nautical effect and had them placed deep into roadbase. Here is a shot of that.

Cuda
07-30-2004, 11:07 PM
Is there anything you can't make Lenny? Damn I truly wish I had your talent. I just made the mistake of letting Debbie read this thread, now she wants something similar.

Lenny
07-30-2004, 11:53 PM
6) The pics are hard to interperet, but this lower area is what I call Easter Island as the tall entrance rock into the teak/canvas eating area is about 8' high after being buried. It makes quite a statement. Now I know Florida is not about ROCK, but cut me a bit slack will ya ;) This place is.

7) Off course the 8 year old was a GREAT help :D

8) I am also glad that nothing "hit" the 21. That would have made me sad 'cuz his insurance wouldn't have included travelling 6000 miles to find another :(

9) Anyways, it is hard to scale from my camera, but here is an unfinished sideview of some of it. It is about 75 feet long and 20-25' wide. This is all at 914' elevation and offers views above the city everywhere. :) Our city, 7 miles away, is at 30' and on the water.

So in parting, to note what is next. I have a line on a few original turn of the century jute hand tied fenders to hang off the pilings, I am building a 6' fence across the back so the whole thing has a backdrop other than trees and cliffside, and I will stamp the concrete. The building design I will post in freehand once I have it worked out. It should resemble an old scally-wag pirate type of theme full, I mean FULL of Aronow memorbilia. Again, forget the Pirate rock thing, that is just some insane twist I applied to a place I have NEVER been. :) I need to find some fake Pelicans or something to sit on the pilings, some Japanese fishing glass balls, net, some old clam/crab shells and mount the "ships bell I bought" for happy hour (24/7) Also wouldn't mind one of your tall, COLOURFUL, we have the other kind) one legged when fishing birds from done there. Anyone got a fake gator?

Also, on the inside walls of the fence across back (old beat up barn board) will be two SPECIAL pieces from both Michael Aronow and Allan Brown... ;) Thanx again you guys :)

Lenny

More pics to follow.

BUIZILLA
07-31-2004, 07:50 AM
Len, anybody that wears an AOTH Crit shirt when doing something like this, deserves some help... I'll chat with the Rabid Dog about the pelicans, birds, and gator stuff...
BTW, what's with the Christmas lights in August ??? :D

JH :anchor:

MOP
07-31-2004, 01:38 PM
Lenny I to will Pray for you, you now have made the ranks of the afflicted! Doctor Dan put it the best way, its not a hobby it is a sickness! Bless you my son!

MOP

Ed Donnelly
07-31-2004, 03:15 PM
BUIZILLA; Don't tell me you take down your christmas lights. All that work taking them down, then, putting them back up year after year, is just a terrible waste of time. Time that could be put to better use, napping, watching T.V. , working on our Donzis...Ed

BUIZILLA
07-31-2004, 06:53 PM
Ed, we only put up about 4500-5000 bulbs a year, quite the paltry feat, considering one of Poodles neighbors puts up about a half a million lights, if not more, each year.. and we take them all down, religiously, every New Year's day. Lenny just leaves his socket hanging from the eve's for that quick plug-in feeling.

JH

Lenny
07-31-2004, 07:16 PM
Jim, for your information I took GREAT care putting those lights up back in '92... :D

They still work great and SANTA still comes here so there !!! :)