PDA

View Full Version : Tilt Trim Pump empty?

JimG205
07-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Getting ready to dip the Minx and was going to fire it up in the backyard first.Key on,trim switch down-no movement-looked at pump and noticed a trail of oil ino bilge and the dipstick was dry.Is this a gasket issue or should I just replace the pump? :bawling:

MOP
07-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Messy but the easy way, fill it up and hook a switched jumper to the solinoid. Now wiggle your butt down in the hole so you can watch where it is squirting from when you hit the switch. You may find: loose fitting, cracked hose, once and a while the pump body will leak. Oh not to mention the biggest pain where the lines go into the transom shield I have seen that area rot where the fittings hook up. If you find the painfull one drop a dime on me.

Phil

JimG205
08-01-2004, 01:28 PM
After removal and phone consult with MOP,discovered the following-original prestolite pump circa 1986,applied twelve volts to the motor after a few taps with the infamous hammer and was spitting oil like a champ-Leakout turned out to be a $4 O-ring that sits between the motor and pump housing,plus the o-ring on the bottom resevoir screw had deteriorated and was leaking.Should be back in service by midweek. :boat: