PDA

View Full Version : Transom/stringer replacement

Trueser
07-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Bring Out Another Thousand

The stringers and transome should be replaced by next week.This started from replacing the baffle stringers to a complete redo. The floor was even redone because the glass guy wasnt crazy with the factory job.

I have a bunch of pictures if anyone is interested. I'm stopping back at the boat in the morning to drop off some motivation.

should be able to handle the new motors no problem.Hopefully see some water in a few weeks.

Mike

gcarter
07-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Yeah Mike, I'd like to see them! :smash:
I'd like to see how the pros do it.

Greg Maier
07-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Mike,

If you don't mind me asking, how much does a pro charge to replace the stringers and transom. My brother has a Formula 233 that needs a new transom and stringers, and I am curious how much it should cost.

Trueser
07-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Well,
The cost depend on how much work is needed. I started with just the cross stringers and found the rest were soft. I found a guy in Morris Illinois that does a great work. and he loves Miller Light.

My job consist of replacing all the wood inside the engine compartment and repaiting it with gell not paint. he also doubled the thickness of the floor. filled all the extra holes in the transome and repaired the swim platform the the previous guy fXXXed up while trying to repair stress cracks.

He also is removing the seam on the swim platform it will all be glassed together. If the top will ever need to be taken off it will need to be cut.

The whole transom will be regelcaoted from engine cover to lower transom.

Send me a email and I will give you a call.
Trueser@comcast.net

i would guess around 3-4k to have a 233 done correctly.

You should see the detail on the glass and wood.

I will post more pictures nect week.

Greg Maier
07-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Did he leave the fiberglass transom in place and replace the wood from the inside. I have heard of transom replacements that are done from the outside, and I'm not sure why it would be done that way. It seems like it makes more sense to work from the inside.

Trueser
07-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Greg,
He carefully removed it from the inside. You would not want to cut inot the outside glass. The new one was set in glass and glassed over. Once the stringers are attached it will be glassed even more.

Mike

Audiofn
08-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Most transom replacements hapen from the inside. All fiberglass guys drink. Ussually from the AM to the PM :D:D

Jon

MOP
08-01-2004, 10:35 AM
On bigger boats or boats with bad access they do the job from the outside, inside is way easier.