PDA

View Full Version : Why so few Donzi 38ZRs on the water!

Donzigo
07-28-2004, 08:24 PM
My fellow Donzi lovers (hey, it's convention season and I must be politically correct),

I waited in anticipation for this remarkable machine, the Donzi 38ZR, and have watched the beast take the racing world by storm. What a success record in three years of racing. No doubt, the next generation of Donzis will follow this tradition. BUT, the Donzi 38ZR, seemlingly,has not taken the boat buying nation by storm, if we look at the sales to individuals, wouldn't you agree that there aren't too many out there. And, several are on the market again. As HP600 showed, there's one at John's Pass Marina that is new, a couple of years, old and getting older by the milli-second. My guess is that it could be bought right.

So, what's the reason that it's not too popular? One on the Donzi salesmen at a marina near me told us that because it does not have a cabin, and more importantly, no head, that it doesn't appeal to family boaters. That leaves the single guy, who isn't looking to get married anytime soon, who likes to go real fast, who doesn't have a girlfriend who would like a cabin to change in, or go potty in, who needs no storage, who also likes to go across the bay at 100 MPH, OR the married guy who has no family, & won't have one anytime soon, who has a wife who also loves to go real fast, like the girlfreind, and with no potty, has kidneys of steel and the capacity of a camel, who also needs no storage, & most of all, doesn't mind her husband going out on the weekend with his buddies, in the "Chick Magnet Boat" of the century..............did I about cover it?

I asked Smila today if whe would rather be sporting around in a Donzi 38ZR, with lots of eye-appeal, or would she just as soon be out there in our 1989 Donzi Z-33, that ain't never gonna break 60MPH, with the present 454's; but, cruises at a real comfortable 40/45MPH, and has a cabin with a potty (Which I don't get the importance; because, it has been used twice in 3 years), and also has lots of room. You know what she said: "I like the Z-33 better". (What a good politician she is, because she knows I will never be able to afford a Donzi 38ZR.)

Cuda
07-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Just on a whim, I looked up 38Zr's on boat trader a couple weeks ago. I was astonished how little you have to pay to own a used one of these beauties. I have watched these boats in races for the last couple of years, and I don't think there is another boat in it's class that rides as well as they do in rough water, and can hold their own when it's flat too. The only thing I don't like about them is the sit down seats. I know it seems to be the latest fad, but to me that' a step back in time when that was all there was available. Regardless, I'd rather shell out the coin for a Zr than a Gladiator, and it'd be a whole lot less of it.

Speed-Racer
07-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Donzigo, I'd have to agree with you that most people tend to want the cabin and head, even if never get's used it's still there for an overnighter, or quick change of cloths.

...but if I had a few extra hundred thousand or so $$$ to spend I'd buy a 38zr just for the looks, and ride :eek!:

If yah half to go to the potty, just pull'n somewhere....20ft bigger than the 18 and still no bathroom. :p

Rootsy
07-28-2004, 09:16 PM
that is why coleman makes that little portable porta potty :D

Donzigo
07-28-2004, 09:30 PM
Oh yeah, my chick is really gonna be impressed with my asking her to sit on that Coleman Porta Potty out in the hot Flroida sun, with sweat rolling down her brow, while she's making a red face...............uhhhhhhhhhhh, she's a sport; but, I don't think she's quite that much of a sport.

Rootsy
07-28-2004, 09:33 PM
DUDE it'll fit below deck eh... and isn't a WHOLE lot different that found in boats NOW... :smash:

DONZI
07-29-2004, 05:37 AM
This Ferrari version on the trader would be my pick. Hey, a guy can dream can't he ? :)

Fish boy
07-29-2004, 07:24 AM
...That leaves the single guy, who isn't looking to get married anytime soon, who likes to go real fast, who doesn't have a girlfriend who would like a cabin to change in, or go potty in, who needs no storage, who also likes to go across the bay at 100 MPH...

OK, I guess I am in the target market, now all I need is the target lottery ticket LOL

BTW Donzi, that ferrari zr is incredible. THanks for posting the pics

Fish

Mr X
07-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Here is the full ad with more pic's
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/0/73072530.htm

Fish boy
07-29-2004, 07:48 AM
thanks Ted, that sure is a good looking boat. I am just a bajillion dollars short of being able to buy it. LOL

Fish

Donzigo
08-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Now, that's a sweet ride........pull up to just about any rest. or Shell Island in that, and heads will turn, huh?

Moody Blu'
08-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Damn id sure like to see under the hatch!

RickSE
08-03-2004, 11:27 AM
The all-red boat originally left the factory as a white boat w/red striping. The owner had the entire boat painted red and installed the Ferrari decals.

boxy
08-03-2004, 06:17 PM
..... Seeing how I am on the wrong side of the border on this, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you get a tax break on a boat, if it has potable water, sleeping accomadations, and a toilet. Maybe this limits the available buyer pool ????

tamburello
08-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Ahh, just wedge a canteen, a sleeping bag, and a porta potti between the bulkheads for the tax break. Tax break of not I need to fatten my piggy bank to swing a ZR.

- jEFF

roadtrip se
08-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Lack of a cabin is only part of the problem....

Hell of an offshore boat as the race results show but,

Last time I checked...

a New 38ZR cost $259K with 500's and no options.

a New Gladiator cost $219 with 500's and no options.

Simple math says get the Gladiator with all the bling bling options and end up at about the cost of a ZR.

Both are too much money, everybody knows about the "issues" with the Cig in turns, but it still outsells the ZR,

the ZR bottom looks remarkably like the 38 Fountain third generation step bottom, so the technology is available for a lot less from Reggie,

and dealers are dying with old inventory that they can't sell below cost.

I hope there are a few market lessons for Donzi from the ZR, before they start figuring out what they want to ask for their new flat deck sport boats. Maybe they will price them where they might sell a few!

Todd
"Owner of one Great Lakes Classic 22 jet ski!"

Mr X
08-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Can you say "38ZXR" :yes: