PDA

View Full Version : Alternator ideas?

txtaz
07-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Well after adding 1200 watts of stereo to the boat, I find my voltmeter dancing to the tunes at idle. Since we like to putt around, it would be nice to have an alternator that can keep up. I'm sure I have the stock alt. on a 350 MAG. Any suggestions for an alternator for the boat? Is there anything special about marine alternators?
Thank you,
Wes

gcarter
07-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Wes, I was looking at alternators on eBay the other day. One sellor was offering rebuilt 100 amp (no core charge) three wire replacement marine alternators for for under $100.00. Duhhh...thats 1400 watts! :rlol:
Delivers 800 amps @ 800 RPM. Thats pretty good.

BUIZILLA
07-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Delivers 800 amps @ 800 RPM. Thats pretty good. :eek: :eek: :eek:

800 amps??? :bonk:

Audiofn
07-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Wes, I was looking at alternators on eBay the other day. One sellor was offering rebuilt 100 amp (no core charge) three wire replacement marine alternators for for under $100.00. Duhhh...thats 1400 watts! :rlol:

Something does not sound correct there at all......

wiltok
07-27-2004, 12:42 PM
I am also a member of several wakeboard discussion boards (I own a Donzi and a MasterCraft X-9) - and stereos/alternators are a big topic. Check out this post - probably more information that you are looking for - but definitely helpful (most relevant posts are near the bottom).

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/150339.html

-Keith

txtaz
07-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I would like to go with a new alternator. Most likely 100 amp. Keiths thread helped, it looks like I have some wiring to do also.
Anyone know where to get one? Poodle? Randy?
I can't imagine Randy's boat running on a 51 amp alternator. From what I've heard, It would stall the engine from lack of juice. LOL
Thanks,
Wes

gcarter
07-27-2004, 02:32 PM
OOOOOPS!!!!
Would you believe WATTS?
You see I was practicing typing with my toes! :)

MOP
07-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Drop Geo a PM he just upgraded his, there are some high output one wire ones available.

I did a search on "Marine high performanc alternators" and got a bunch of hits.

rayjay
08-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Well after adding 1200 watts of stereo to the boat, I find my voltmeter dancing to the tunes at idle. Since we like to putt around, it would be nice to have an alternator that can keep up... Wes

Beware of BIG amp alternators if you do a lot of running at idle or just above idle. Their output at low rpm's is usually lower than the output of a lower amp alternator at the same rpm's. A friend who rebuilds alternators and generators built a 140 amp for my Caballero that equaled the output of the stock 85 amp at idle to 1500 rpm's. He upgrades a lot of the local police cars with this same set-up. He then installs dual batteries for the cops so that all the electronics and the engine can receive good power at idle. I do not know what he does, but I am pretty sure a good alternator repair shop can do the same thing. He also installs capacitors (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-frg4c23ewU0/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=11&s=0&g=725&cc=01&avf=N&search=) to help store power for the electronics during times of power fluctuation.

rayjay

MOP
08-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Wes another alternator to check out is Balmar they are the best available to the marine industry, and the most common upgrade. A very close friend sailed around the world with one of their 130 AMP units it operated flawlessly for 5 years under some very adverse conditions. They charge full rate from very low RPM's and you can get an additional controller to meet your specific needs.

Phil