PDA

View Full Version : 250 volvo question

DAULEY
07-26-2004, 06:57 PM
i found a crack in my drive it is the part of the drive where the tilt shaft comes out ,it bent and cracked the housing can it be welded or do i need to find a new transom assembley input please
thanks bob :frown:

boldts
07-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Dauley, is that part aluminum? I can't remember if my 250 was cast aluminum or steel. My dad's shop welded a little extra material onto the 2 areas that the trim rod goes through so we could move the 3rd hole out a little more for more trim.

You didn't bend that drive lift rod did you? That thing is pretty thick piece from what I remember. Of course if you did, you'll need a new tilt rod. There is also a foot that screws into the bottom of that rod. If you still have that, keep it to save a little when you replace the main rod. I'd give the welding a shot, but be prepared to replace the transom shield if it just cracks again. Might be money and time saving just to replace the shield from the get go.

DAULEY
07-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Scott
any idea where i can get one and what it would cost
i think the rod is bent also it doesnt move when you hit the switch you can hear the trim motor but the pin doesnt move
thanks BOB

MOP
07-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Bob what causes the tip to get bent is if the trip release button is adjusted to so it sticks out to far or the tip is jammed in the hole both of which will catch the end of the tilt plunger and bend it when the drive come back down after being kicked out while underway. Look at the rod coming down with the tip going through where the tilt plunger rides, only the rounded end should be protruding. Many times it get stuck and needs to be removed and the hole filed slightly so it move free, it should be able to be wiggled a little and should be checked from time to time. The boss where the plunger comes through is aluminum it can be welded if it really needs it. it is a pain cleaning out the bore so the tilt guts fits back in. It pays to slather the bore and the unit with non hardening gasket compound it makes it a ton easier to remove down the road.

Phil