PDA

View Full Version : problem with my shift cable king cobra

need for speed
07-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Well, I got my drive back. My mechanic and I put the drive back on the boat today. I also had him put a new shift cable in, the last shift cable was the orginal , and was broken right at the sleeve that screws into the drive to make it water tight.. this is how water got into my drive. After getting the new shift cable in and hooked up, I tested the shift before my mechanic took off .. Well it shifted forward but would not do anything else. :bonk:

We had to pull the drive back off and saw that the cable sleeve had broken where it screws into the drive just like the old one ... have to wait till Tuesday for the new cable, but I am afraid that this one will break too. My mechanic said he has had a new bad cable before, but he was not sure either why it broke. End of story no donzi this weekend.. :kaioken:

Has anyone with A KING COBRA DRIVE ever had this problem?? :boat: Pic of old cable That is why it had a hose clamp on it to hold the thing.. but it was letting water in and i didn't even know it.. I got the boat like this..

Greg K
07-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Have replaced mine, never saw what you've experienced. Not sure how or why a hose clamp was used...but if youre replacing the cable again...take a look at the pic posted and replace the nut and the seal and o-ring. Good Luck.

need for speed
07-25-2004, 08:10 PM
did that , guess it was a bad cable... will try again and be very careful when the drive goes back on not to put any pressure on that part . :wrench:

I guess the old owner of the boat , just used the hose clamp due to the fact they must not wanted to take the time to change the cable...

:bonk:

MOP
07-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Charlie was the cable a black or red covered, mine was changed out to a red cable which was suppose to be the upgraded cable. They had trouble with the black cables!

Phil

need for speed
07-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Yeah it is a red one... :yes:

MOP
07-25-2004, 08:43 PM
Yeah it is a red one... :yes:

Thats a Hmmm! They are holding up very well up here, must be that Southern atmosphere LOL!

need for speed
07-25-2004, 08:46 PM
I hope the next ne is better taking the drive off and on 2 times in one day is a pain in the...... :toiletpap