PDA

View Full Version : Watched a 26ZX Burn Yesterday

EricG
07-25-2004, 12:07 PM
We were out yesterday for the Bremerton Channelman's club Fun Run (I'll do another "happy" post about that later), and towards the end of the run, we went past a 26ZX with the hatch open and some smoke coming out. I thought it smelled like a burning belt....about 5 minutes later, we came back around the point and saw a lot of black smoke coming off the boat. By the time we got closer, the deck was in flames :eek!: :eek!:.

Apparently the folks on the boat had put the fire out with extinguishers, but a short while later, it restarted and they had to jump. Everyone on board go off the boat OK, which was the important thing...but as others on this board have said - until you've seen a boat go up in person - you cannot describe it.

I don't believe the owner is a registry member, but I still offer up my condolences on the loss of his boat.

-EG

Mr X
07-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Wow!! thats a real shame, I hope none were injured and they had good insurance!

Those pictures are smokin!! :eek:
Sorry I could not resist!

vanstee
07-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Note to Self,

Self,
Remember to use blower every time.
Yours truly,
Self

That sucks. I saw a Sea Ray do the same thing a few years back on Lake St. Mary.

Cuda
07-25-2004, 08:05 PM
That's terrible. It looks like the fire didn't start in the engine room.

Shanghied Again
07-25-2004, 08:50 PM
WOW... That looks like it could have been an electric fire starting in the front dash section.. Like Ted said I hope everyone is ok. Insurance will always buy a new boat but can never replace a life,

DJ13
07-26-2004, 02:40 AM
A personal friend owned that boat. They were WOT on the fun run and couldn't explain the cause of the fire. It didn't come from the bilge, use of the blower wasn't the problem. The smoke was coming from inside the cabin and most likely started from under the dash, being electrical in origin. It put a damper on an otherwise spectacular day.

Fish boy
07-26-2004, 10:02 AM
A personal friend owned that boat. They were WOT on the fun run and couldn't explain the cause of the fire. It didn't come from the bilge, use of the blower wasn't the problem. The smoke was coming from inside the cabin and most likely started from under the dash, being electrical in origin. It put a damper on an otherwise spectacular day.

As others have also said, I am just glad no one was hurt. Still a very sad story, and please give your friend our best.

Fish

Sport
07-26-2004, 12:05 PM
God Speed to that 26ZX ! Me and Leslee have a 26ZX and I could not imagine that happening to ours. Glad to hear all jumped ship safely. Those pictures are incredible ! ! !

Sport

martiniboat/ Brian Kamrath
07-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Absolute bummer...

...glad to hear nobody was injured.

Brian