PDA

View Full Version : Flushing engines after salt water running

Donzigo
07-25-2004, 10:17 AM
For those who are new to the board. After salt water use, it's good to flush those engines. I use 1/2 cup of Joy through each of mine and flush for 10 full minutes ONLY at idle. Even after the boat sits for several weeks, there is NO rust coming out the back, when I start it. McGary said he usess use Salt Away, maybe there are even some other choices; but, for sure, flush that bad boy with something.

Cuda
07-25-2004, 11:22 AM
I use Dawn. I don't know if it makes any difference, but it makes me feel better. :) Also, you know it's been fully flushed when the bubbles stop. I do it on my outboards too.

FJB20
07-25-2004, 12:25 PM
What equip. are you using to flush. Factory option - fresh water flush? How are you mixing the soap into the water.
Thanx!! :confused:

McGary911
07-25-2004, 12:54 PM
My salt away comes with an inline attachment for the hose with a little reservoir on it for the salt away. I hook it to my transom mounted flush, and when the reservoir is empty, im good to go. Guys without transom flushes would have to use drive ears.

MOP
07-25-2004, 02:37 PM
I was wondering how you guys got detergent in, the only thing that comes to mind is the engine needs to be hot so the the thermostat is open or it all blows out the risers. I have never used anything, I let it run until I cannot taste any salt in the the water coming out of the prop about 15-20 minutes. When I sold the 16 I pulled the risers to please the buyer as they had a very light rust mark at the gasket, after 4 seasons the risers and mating surfaces showed of no deterioration which honestly surprised even me. I figured for sure the tails of the risers would have flaked off a bit.

Phil

McGary911
07-25-2004, 02:50 PM
I was wondering how you guys got detergent in, the only thing that comes to mind is the engine needs to be hot so the the thermostat is open or it all blows out the risers.
PhilPhil, I'm not sure how they got the detergent in with the hose. Feel kinda dumb, because i was standing on the dock when they flushed DonzigoJR's 22 yesterday. I saw the bubbles, but didnt notice how the soap got in :rolleyes: .

Cuda
07-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Depends on which boat I'm flushing. On the Formula, there is a fitting to hook the hose to. I just squirt dawn down inside the fitting. On the outboard, or any that I rinse with muffs, I squirt the Dawn up the hose.

Speed-Racer
07-25-2004, 04:56 PM
I thought we were the only ones who used Miracle Grow bottles....:idea:

FJB20
07-25-2004, 06:38 PM
POODLE -- Thank You -- Now I Know How to Flush My 2000 Z22 -- Miracle Grow !!!!!
Can I Ask 1 More Question --- Will My 5.7 Get Bigger ???
Maybe 496 HO with the Miracle Grow Applicater
THANX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bug
07-25-2004, 06:43 PM
MadPoddle
What a great idea.
Thanks for that one
Ken :yippie:

MOP
07-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Will My 5.7 Get Bigger ??? No but be real careful not to get it all over your JEANS!

Donzigo
07-25-2004, 10:53 PM
I have a through hull pick up below the eninge, instead of the outdrive. It tees off to another hose going to the top of the friewall. I have a screw in hose cap that I pour the detergent into. Then, I turn it on slowly, start the eninge, then turn it on full. It's a Donzi buble machine.

We do the same thing with the 22 and the cups, we unscrew the hose from the spicket and put the Joy in, start the engine and away you go.