PDA

View Full Version : Drive reserve bottle

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-24-2004, 09:25 PM
Preping the boat for tomorrow, noticed one engine lost about an inch of drive fluid from the fill bottle to the bilge, the other was fine. Both were even when we left last weekend, both caps were put on the same tightness.

Any ideas? Why one leaks and the other doesn't?

I suspect maybe the hose on the bottom of the bottle vice the cap. Any help here is appreciated, because my bilge is tight and a pain in the BUTT to clean, my evening sucked.
Bryan

Ed Donnelly
07-25-2004, 12:00 AM
They make leak proof vented caps. I just happen to have 2 brand new(chrome) If interested send me your address and I will mail them to you Monday A.M. Cost? Make a donation to the Harburrrrmasta...Ed

Shanghied Again
07-25-2004, 04:00 AM
Bryan, use the leak proof tops they work great! I have one on my 26.. The gasket on the stock bottles are not that good and with twin engines the boat has more movement in the rear engine compartment.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-25-2004, 05:02 AM
Ed, please send.
And I donated $50 to the board on Friday.
Thanks

Bryan Tuvell
420 Lynnfield Road
Chesapeake, VA 23323

Mr X
07-25-2004, 07:23 AM
I have never seen the chrome caps for the Gearlube outdrive bottle.

I have one on my trim pump though. Where did you get it?

Ed Donnelly
07-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Bryan; Got to stop posting at 1 in the morning. The caps are for drive and K-plane bottles. My wife bought me 3 of them for Christmas at Speed Wake. Can't use any of them. But, they sure are pretty! Will still send them out Monday anyways if you would like them. Sorry...Ed

Donzigo
07-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Brian, I ran my two hoses for each outdrive between the engines on top of that stringer and up to the top of the firewall, just behind the seat. It's so much easier to check and fill the bottles. Yes, mine leak too. I've tried several times to get that stopped and if it bothers me enough, I'll get it done. It just doesn't leak that much. FYI: I also ran through hull water fittings and tee connections and ran those hoses up the same wall for easy flushing. I'll make pictures of all this if you're interested. I fluch each eninge at idle for 10 minutes with 1/2 cup of Joy in those hoses. When I start the eninges up, even after several weeks, no rust at all comes out. Remember that the level changes as you run the drives up and down; so, you shouldn't be too concerned if the levels are approximately the same but not exactly the same.

Mr X
07-25-2004, 12:00 PM
He is NOT talking about his trim pumps........
Nobody is on the same page here guys. :boggled:

olemissalum
07-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Bryan, my drive bottle leaks not through the cap but at the bottom where the alarm wires and hose hook up to it. Have taken it apart several times, retightened the nut inside the bottle and lasts a little while but after a while starts again. This winter am going to invest in a new drive bottle from Revolution Marine so I won't have to mess with it anymore.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-25-2004, 07:56 PM
ED, thanks, your comment made me laugh...
My mind gets the best of me past 10PM.. LOL
They will look good on the K-Plane package.
Thanks again.
Bryan

Update, ran today, did not leak a drop, clean bildge, so who knows why that happend last week.......
Also, the boat had 41 hours on it at purchase but I had the 100 hour drive maitenance done as part of the deal, I marked several nuts so I would know they were removed and serviced, they were.

MOP
07-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Bryon many of them leak, you need to get the oil out of the bottle. Clean the hose barb with alcohol and use a Q tip to clean inside the tube to clean it, then swab a dab of Merc bellows cement in the tube and on the barb re-clamp and let dry over night that seems to be one of the best ways to deal with it.

Phil