PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Drive Question

Speed-Racer
07-24-2004, 08:34 PM
On the 270 Volvo drive is there a grease fitting anywhere to grease the drive shaft in the bellow's? :confused:

Mr X
07-24-2004, 08:38 PM
On the 270 Volvo drive is there a grease fitting anywhere to grease the drive shaft in the bellow's? :confused:

And/or the U-Joint as well........Anyone know?

(Not stepping on your thread Brandon, just adding to it,
on what we talked about today.)

penbroke
07-24-2004, 09:31 PM
My old Ford/Volvo 200 does not have any grease fitting for the bearing on the primary shaft that goes from the engine to the drive. The Volvo AQ125/270 drive I took apart has a grease fitting on the bell housing/flywheel cover that appears to go to the bearing. It does NOT. It feeds a passage to near the bearing but the grease just goes in the housing around the shaft. The bearings in both were the sealed type anyway.

Both units have grease fittings on the u-joint spiders inside the drive shaft bellows. You have to remove the bellows to access them.

Frank

Speed-Racer
07-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks Frank!

The bellow's rubber is dried out, and starting to crack. That along with the shifter cable needs to be re-placed...

Project X

MOP
07-25-2004, 01:21 AM
At 12:00 down just where the bell housing meets the drive shafts tube there is a small boss with big round head screw, remove the screw to grease the bearings. It is a sloppy job without a fitting, a fitting can be made out of a 3/8-16 short bolt. Drill through the center of bolt to accept a small Zerk fitting screw it in and go at it, the shaft should get 10 pumps on a fresh bearing install and 2-3 each season there after pump slowly so as not to push the seals out using a standard grease gun. The U joints require that you either pull the drive or the upper gear case, I learned along time ago it is way easier to pull the upper to service the joints and change bellows. The book allows 2.6 for a bellows job I can walk you through it in under an hour, if interested mail me. I worked on Volvos over 30 years never saw one without the boss and screw.

First guy to pipe up in a PM gets my home made fitting for $1.00 4 S/H to me and $5.00 to the board, yes its has been used for 20 some odd years but shows of no wear!

Phil