PDA

View Full Version : trim gauge trouble

gero1
07-23-2004, 11:38 AM
the trim gauge on my black hawk is way off, there is a adjustment on both sides. one of them when i move it does nothing, the other makes the gauge go all the way up or all the way down, whats the deal???

gold-n-rod
07-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Try reading here.....

http://www.mercstuff.com/trim_limit.htm

HTH,

another Randy

blackhawk
07-23-2004, 01:08 PM
One side is for your limit switch and the other is for the gauge. I believe the port side is the guage but I'm not 100% sure. It says on the caps. Anyway, the one that is making your gauge move is the right one and may need to be taken apart and cleaned. They get some corrosion in there sometimes. They're basically metal contact points.

Also, make sure you didn't screw up your limit switch. If you adjusted that you may not be able to trim it out enough to get speed so check it on the trailer.

gero1
07-23-2004, 03:19 PM
they are marked, took the trim apart, all the little fingers were broke. now what? can i get just this part or do i have to buy the whole thing. thanks for your help

marcdups
07-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Gero they come as a kit, merc part # 805320A 1, they go through the transom assembly and can be a bear to change if you have never done it, it can be done in less than an hour if you have the right tools, otherwise merc's flat rate time is over 4 hours, remove everything bar the transom assembly, now you can do what some novices do and cut the wires and use heat shrink connectors but it will not last more than a year, my 2 cents.

gero1
07-23-2004, 05:04 PM
why can"t i take the guts out of the new one and put them in the old one? i just need the part in the middle with the little fingers thar go into the splines

marcdups
07-24-2004, 07:22 AM
new ones are a sealed unit, cannot disassemble !!!!!

Donzigo
07-24-2004, 07:25 AM
............and here's the bad news, They are a weak part of the Mercury outdrive. They'll probably break again soon.

Seems to me you cold change the inside guts, too.

blackhawk
07-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Plus those gauges seem to be inconsistant and innacurate. I never used it so when I bought new guages I didn't even bother getting a trim gauge. I replaced it with something else.