PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Throttle

FJB20
07-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Just Put the 2000 Z22 Back in the Water. Throttle Seems Stiff. Any Easy Way To Lubricate It?? Thanx !!

Lenny
07-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Man, small world,...I had the same thing this morning. I used KY and a partner :D

Cuda
07-23-2004, 12:14 AM
It's been many years since I had too stiff a throttle. :bawling:

Cuda
07-23-2004, 12:15 AM
I uses to use Lenny's method............sans partner, :embarasse

Tomahawk
07-23-2004, 04:43 AM
Another thing to check here: some of us have a tendency to "neaten" things up using cable ties. Due to the way the levers in the control box rock when moving, the cables need to be able to move around a bit. If you tightly wrap cable ties around the shift and/or throttle cables, that can cause them to bind. This is especially true if there are any cable ties within about 18" of the control box. If there are, cut them off.
Some riggers at some manufacturers do this as well so I always check when I get a different boat.

FJB20
07-23-2004, 06:39 AM
I Tried that Special Lubricate This Morning -- But When I Pushed It Forward -- She Screamed
Thanx!!!

MOP
07-23-2004, 09:10 AM
One thing that works wonders on cables is anti freeze, anti freeze will make it slide better than new. You need to get the cable loose at the engine and get it propped or tied up as high as you can. Get some Florist putty (clay does not work) the putty is super sticky, make a funnel out of thin plastic about 3-4 inches long. You need to seal the funnel to the end of the cable and fill it with anti freeze, by the next morning it will have seeped into the cable. It will be very free for quite some time, I learned this from an old timer when I was operating heavy equipment. When it gets real cold up here it can be near impossible to to operate with any precision due to the grease getting so stiff. Come September we would pump it into all the cables on all the equipment.

Phil

mikev
07-23-2004, 10:48 AM
We used to have the cables freeze up on the boat almost every other year or so from sitting all winter. Now I go visit the boat every 3-4 weeks in the winter move the throttle wide open in forward and reverse several times and turn the wheel back and forth several times haven't had one freeze up since and its been 5 years now.

RickR
07-25-2004, 07:41 AM
FJB20
If you have a Bravo, take the rear plate off the drive/ clean and lube the detent (don't lose the spring) :smash: