PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Wave Story...........

Sport
07-22-2004, 10:51 AM
I saw this on another forum, just thought I'd share incase anybody is way offshore. Be careful !

Sport

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1540&e=3&u=/afp/science_sea

Marlin275
07-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Great Post
Good Work!

Fish boy
07-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Surf's up Dude!!!

Cuda
07-22-2004, 08:11 PM
I don't know if anybody remembers this. I was parked on the beach at Daytona on July 3rd, 1993. We were there to watch the races the next day. We walked up to the street, down one block and was going back on the beach when we saw cars coming out with water all over them. I though what a bunch of dummies parking their car close enough where the tide could come up on them. Got to the beach and there had been a rougue wave that hit the beach in those few minutes for us to walk one block. Some cars were smashed into each other, up against the board walk, and most were sunk down in the sand to the frame (me included). I don't think they ever decided on what the cause was. Some said it was an underwater landslide, others said it was a gas "burp", and still some say it was a submarine there because the president was coming the next day ( I find this theory a little hard to swallow since the wave was 16 miles long). They estimated the heighth between 18 and 27 feet. Officials said if the wave had hit about noon the next day with over 100,000 people on the beach that we'd still be finding bodies. No deaths I heard of.

Oh yeah, that car I had was completely rusted out two years later.

BUIZILLA
07-22-2004, 08:30 PM
I was on a Carnival Cruise last summer on the Fascination. In the lounge area hallway is a blown up picture of a cruise ship, I think the Celebration (could be wrong), that hit a rogue wave. It happened as Carnival was shooting pic's from either a plane or a copter, during a mild storm. I would estimate the wave at about 8-9 story's high, based on the 8+ levels of portholes that were exposed before the bottom of the wave amidships, and then at the top crest of the wave, just forward of the command wheelroom, it was even height with the top deck/lookout area of the wheelroom....whatever ship it was in the picture, it was not an outside balcony ship, I remember that much.

JH :lightning

gcarter
07-23-2004, 05:51 AM
This story made the top of Drudge Report this morning. :yes: