PDA

View Full Version : Bravo-1 Prop on a 22 Classic??

RickSE
07-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Has anyone tried running a Bravo-1 prop on a 22 Classic? I'm going to Powell this weekend and have one of my dad's props to try. I know I'll loose some speed but I want to see what it will do to the handling.

Also, the B-1 I have has the plastic hub insert. Will this hub hold up to 470 H.P.? My factory supplied prop is a solid hub Mirage+.

Mr X
07-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Rick, dont waste your time.......
too much lift........why fool with perfection? :checkered

RickSE
07-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks Ted,
My dad had some 26's lying around so I thought I'd try one. I don't think I'll try it since I just found out that the Flo-Torque hub is 400 H.P. or less. Mainly I just want to try another blade for handling and keep the Mirage+ for speed. I still may try a Hydromotive but well see; I've got other things to spend money on. This weekend will be the second time out in the boat.

I have trim indicators coming, which I hope well help me figure this thing out.

Murphy
07-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Whatever you do, give the Hydromotive Quad IV a try. I've had one on my 22 for the past year and it would take a lot to convince me to change at this point. Handling is hands-down better than any other prop I've tested.

Murph

roadtrip se
07-22-2004, 05:00 PM
I have two, a 28 labbed and a 27 stock Q4. I can turn the 27 as fast as my labbed 29 Mirage and do it one hell of a lot more comfortably.

I tried several Bravos when I did my original testing and the boat wouldn't hold its nose up at all. Skip it.

Final tip, Julie and Matt at Throttle-up always take great care of me and they have test props to the ceiling.

Todd
"MADCOW here we come, will it be Sunsation or Baron????"

RickSE
07-22-2004, 06:45 PM
I'm leaving the B-1 behind. Now I just need to figure out what pitch Hydro to try. The boat came from the factory with a labbed 25 Mirage+. Any ideas on how the Q4 compares to the Mirage+, same pitch vs. RPM's. 4-blades always seem to drop the engine RPM's by a few hundred. I'm also concerned about the larger dia. of the Q4, thinking it will also drop the RPM's. I may have to be conservative since most of my boating is above 3500' elevation. I'll call Throttle-Up and see if they have any advice.

DonCig
07-22-2004, 08:46 PM
I just bought a Quad 1V RH 26" pitch and I will not be using it until next spring at the AOTH, do you want to borrow it? I will ask that you pay the shipping both ways, but it beats buying the wrong prop.

Don

Tomahawk
07-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Rick - ditto on the Bravo for the Classic. It'll screw up your handling. I've heard good things about the Hydromotive. If you have the chance, try a Turbo 1 27" or a Turbo Lightning in a 26 or 27". I like the way the boat stabilizes with the smaller, 14 1/4", diameter Turbo 1. Happy testing.

Rootsy
07-22-2004, 09:16 PM
you want a 24P quad IV... you'll be close on RPM, maybe a 100 at the most, below your rpm with the 25 3 blade.

the QIV is like riding on rails... it also is a very neutral prop and won't pick th ebow up (in reality, suck the stern down)much which adds to the stability...

Todd's 22 with the shortie and 4 blade is awesome compared to that wild and crazy mirage he has.... :lifeprese

on my 16 which likes to get the nose up with just a little rake an cup, it is about 3 mph slower than the QIV O/T which is a smaller diameter and has some cup added - mainly for OB apps.

but man does the 16 handle awesome with one

you can pick up a brass insert for your flo-torque hub for those 400+ applications... 50ish dollars or so for it...'

Tomahawk
07-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Scott - probably right about the lightning. Hasn't worked at all on mine but that seems to be Crabarelli's favorite on his Crit. Filling in the vent holes, as Randy has done, may be the key with the Lightning. The ones that haven't worked well had vent holes. The ones that really suck had the slots for vents - like the one I had. Prop would break loose before it would even get on plane. But then, Randy's holeless Lightning seems to work very well.
It's a good thing you mentioned it.

RickSE
07-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Don,
Thanks for the offer; I'll let you know. Is your Hydro a solid hub?

We had a great time at Powell, 21 boats at our camp and over 80 people. I covered over 120 miles and had to put $140 :bawling: of gas in at Dangling Rope, $3.12/gallon. The Mirage+ definitely works better at higher speeds, 50+. I did a lot of cruising in the 3500-3800 RPM range, 50-60 MPH depending on trim and tabs. Powell is incredibly ruff this year in some sections due to the low water and funneled traffic. In these areas I have no choice but to slow down when the family is on board. This is where the handling gets tricky and the boat/prop requires a lot of tabs to keep the ride comfortable. Hopefully next time I go up I can run through the ruff sections without the kids on board. :crossfing

Anyone know if there is a suggested RPM for extended range cruising with the 500EFI? I'm assuming it's between 3200-3800 RPM's.

slick
07-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Poodle you are correct Sir, the Lightning from Turbo is Not working well on the 22' Classic. I just sent back a 27" Turbo TXP which has the solid hub. I was told that this model is just a lightning with the brass hub. This makes two 27" Lightnings from Turbo and One 27" TXP from Turbo that have been returned because they just don't work on my set-up, 454Mag MPI M-1 Procharger with Intercooler running Bravo 1. This style prop picks up the stern and pushes the bow down to starboard and the slip is way out of control, the motor revs up and the prop just slips with little forward progress. I just received a four blade from a different prop company via ups and hope to test it later this week. :yes: