PDA

View Full Version : Afp

gcarter
07-22-2004, 09:48 AM
What has happened to AFP (you know the aluminum fuel tank manufacturer in Perry, FL)?
How can I get ahold of them or someone else that can help me here in Florida? :wrench:

Forrest
07-22-2004, 11:46 AM
I think that you mean RDS Manufacturing in Perry, Florida. They build lots of fuel tanks for many boat builders including Donzi. They are great folks to work with . . . even if you go custom and make a design mistake. If it's not to major, they will actually fix it and not charge you a nickle more than their original quote. Don't ask me how I know. :bonk:

Their web site is:

http://www.rdsaluminum.com

gcarter
07-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Yep Forrest, that's who I mean.
If I had done a search first...Duhhhhh... I could have saved some time.
They were very helpful. $355.00 plus tax for a new 41 gal. Minx tank, same as an 18 tank. Three an one half week lead time. Sent a drawing. I wonder if I could post it? Anyone have an opinion?
Thanks

Donzigo
07-22-2004, 03:40 PM
George, The guy I used is Derick at DRS, here in Gulfport/St. Petersburg. He does superlative work, if the Perry source doesn't work out.

Richard

gcarter
07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
I had a thought while looking at my tank. there is approximately 2" of clearance over the top of the tank to the bottom of the tub. If I were to make the tank 1" higher, it would add 5.7 gallons of capacity ( call it 46 gallons instead of 41) without any modifications to the boat.
Anybody else done this?
Speak up if you have. :lightning

Forrest
07-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Actually George, you are right! Robert D. Sayers (RDS) founded Aluminum Fabricated Products (AFP) in Perry, Florida, and built tanks from 1968 to 1986. He then sold the company to Kysor Industrial Corp in Michigan. Four years later in 1990, Sayers bought the company back from Kysor along with all the upgrades done by Kysor and renamed it RSD Manufacturing. So all those tanks in Donzis with the AFP tag are actually RDS tanks - and RDS has most of the old AFP tank dimensions in their files.

If you can still read your AFP model number on your tank's ID tag, then it's a slam dunk.

Did RDS email you back the CAD drawing that they will use for building the tank? If so, that should be easy to post.

gcarter
07-22-2004, 05:03 PM
OK, so the attaqched file is the 41 gallon tank used by 18's and Minx. This may be an answer to a question no one has asked.
Now, what do y'all think about my idea to increase the depth of the tank to increase capacity?

BUIZILLA
07-22-2004, 07:09 PM
GC, I would go for the extra capacity for sure.

JH

penbroke
07-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Now, what do y'all think about my idea to increase the depth of the tank to increase capacity?

Be sure you will have enough head room for the fuel pickup to exit the top of the tank. RDS told me I needed 1.5" minimum for the elbow on the pickup. I raised the top of the tank to 2" below the top of the stringers on my 18.

Frank

gcarter
07-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Yep, that's my main concern. I feel if necessary, I could put a 1/4" spacer under the edge of the cooler lip, and trim the cooler hatch or cover lip as needed.
These would be fairly simple modifications to make to gain almost six gallons. :yes:

Ranman
07-22-2004, 09:15 PM
OK, so the attaqched file is the 41 gallon tank used by 18's and Minx. This may be an answer to a question no one has asked.

Sounds great, but what if some unforseen issue comes up and causes a lot of grief. Why mess with success? Isn't 41 gallons in an 18' boat enough? Where you taking that thing, Timbucktoo? :D :D

Donzigo
07-22-2004, 09:28 PM
George, I'm with Ranman. Stick with what works.

Richard

gcarter
07-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Let's see......
assuming 45 mph @ 6 gph and 40 gallons gives 300 miles ! WOW!
But 46 gallons would give 345 miles.
Just think.....Crystal River to Key West and some reserve !
Or West Palm to Elbow Key, any one want to go along?

:wavey: :rlol: :yippie: