PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio: XM v. Sirius

TuxedoPk
07-21-2004, 10:34 PM
What are the pros and cons of these services?

How do they compare in terms of sound quality?

Quality of programming?

Darrell
07-22-2004, 10:34 AM
I think XM will be around a lot longer due to the big stake GM has in it. Most of the higher end cars and trucks we sell have XM from the factory. People don't like the ideal of paying $9.95 a month for service, but it seems after the 3mo free service a high percentage of them keep the service. XM is great, but I have never heard the Sirius network.

Darrell

Fish boy
07-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Great post idea tux, I was wondering the same thing. Hope others chime in with pros and cons although the GM connection sounds like a pretty compelling reason to go that way so far.

fish

pmreed
07-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Sirius must have a marketing tie-in with Dish Network. We've suddenly got about 40 or 50 of the Sirius music channels on our satellite receivers :D . I guess they're selling the mobile equipment through their dealers.

Phil

harbormaster
07-24-2004, 07:25 PM
For a one time fee of 450, you can get Sirius for free each monch

Flash
07-28-2004, 08:37 AM
We have XM in both GM Trucks and both boats, can't live with out it!
Every thing you could dream about listening to is available.
First Radio is $ 10.00 per month
Additional service costs only $ 7.00 per month

Compare that with satilite or cable TV $$$$$
And you do not have to listen to comercials.

JimG
07-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Curious, too! I rode with someone who had XM and there was a lot of static. Also, had COMMERCIALS!! I was shocked! Maybe the commercials are only on the comedy channel?

Team Jefe
07-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Well, the 50' Viking on which I spent my weekend....yes everyone turn green with envy....we had XM, we left it on channel 46 the entire time and I liked every song that came on. A complete x-section of hits from throughout time. No commercial, no song twice, and no static (but we did have a big external antenna on top the boat). That in itself has me thinking of XM.

I know nothing about sirrus.

Flash
07-28-2004, 10:16 AM
There were a couple of channels with comercials in the begining.
I think those have been eliminated.
For the most part, music channels are all comercial free.
Can't say if the comedy channel still does.

Static, must have been a bad installation.
Have had XM for a couple of years with out a problem.
Signal is either on or off no in-between.

BUIZILLA
07-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Channel 46 is CLASSIC ROCK on XM. So far, I have listened to just about all 229 XM stations my new GMC has. I personally like #71 Watercolors station, contemporary jazz. #150 is raw, and I mean RAW comedy, not children safe :shocking: #151 is good comedy, children safe, usually. I haven't really found a bad station yet. So far, I have experienced ZERO static, and no interruptions of service.

JH :cool:

JimG
07-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Well we were driving between Austin and Houston so maybe the signal was weak out there? The installation was one of the portable docking thingies. The commercials were on channel 150. Oh and the traffic/weather report really sucked! We were on I-10 in Katy stuck in a traffic jam caused by a REALLY BIG thunderstorm, and the report came back, "no traffic problems and clear skies, slight chance of rain..."

Team Jefe
08-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Thanks to Aqua V and the HabaMasta I am now a proud owner of XM. The "Roady 2" was hooked up on our way to Winni and actually made the trip bearable.

Very nice little unit, and you can splice the antenna wire very easily....more on that later.

It was nice to not "loose" a station as we travelled across country.

Plus the comedy stations kept me going during the nights when HM and AV were catching up on their beauty sleep.

I have a good buddy who has factory installed Sirrius and loves it. I thing it is a Ford vs. Dodge think....6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

JimG
08-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Cool! Yeah, I'm still weighing both.

Those comedy channels just rock, huh?

See ya soon...

BUIZILLA
08-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Those comedy channels just rock, huh? XM Comedy channel 150 is NOT family safe.. ;) 151 is though..

JH