PDA

View Full Version : Broken Blackhawk Update

thriller
07-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Well, As I thought there was some internal damage. The extent unknown til we actually open her up. I suspect upper gears/clutch assy?:frown:

Found a thrust bearing shim (piece) attached to the magnetic drain plug..
Tough to find someone to work on this baby as no one as ever even seen one ..Yikes..
Special tools required maybe?
I will place a call to Mercruiser ,Burnaby BC. This is their Western training Centre, for Western Canada..wonder if they could fix her up? Thanks for everyones e-mails and phone calls re the diagnostics...

I will ensure the upgraded gears are put in (as per Woodsy)

Hope it won't be to $$ ...Anyone care to guesstamate

/MM

FASTEDDIE
07-21-2004, 09:14 PM
I updated my gears last year Mike and Mercury sent them overnight. When we started to assemble we noticed Mercury did not include shims or new forks. They apoligized and said the computer doesn't show to send these items , thus more overnight charges. Prices of parts 1700.00 plus freight , 16 hours labor at your local labor rate.Good Luck.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Bummer, my 2 cents is, if it is an uppper replacement is the repair, ENSURE a full disassembled lower inspection and flush before they put her back together.
I learned this lesson and it was costly.
For me, a new lower rebuild on the old boat (Bravo I) which included a new shaft, bearings and shims was $1605.00 based on 10 hours labor. (labor $98 hourly)
Just FYI.
Any questions give me a call. Bryan

Woodsy
07-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Thriller...

Your Mech will need a few special tools.... they aren't cheap and they are only available from Merc. Follow Bryans advice, do a COMPLETE disassemble and rebuild. Make sure your guy knows his business. Double check the vertical shaft and inspect the casing thouroughly. Replace all of the seals and any of the bearings that even look remotely worn... When the drive is reinstalled, make sure they check the alignment and the gimble bearing (BH's are hard on gimbles!) also make sure the shift cable is adjusted perfectly...

Start hunting around for a spare..... You will eventually need it!

Woodsy Von Outboard

thriller
08-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Got the news from my mech today:(. Looks like upper gears for sure...and he also wants to change the lowers as there is some markings on one of the lower gears that suggests a misalignment/mesh problem.
Casing is fine...Vertical shaft is fine.:)
Parts come tomorrow...Possibly get her back..earliest next Wednesday.
Seems when I got airborne, I pulled back on the throotle with a death grip and threw her in reverse at @60mph..Ouch

Total bill will be @3000 Canadian eh!
Complete disassembly of upper/lower ...New HD Gear set and the set of three lower bearings as well. Suggested replacing the thrust bearing lower as well...

Not a bad price considering the cost in replacing (replacement.@$4gUS) with new..
MM

Lenny
08-06-2004, 12:48 AM
:beer: Good news for sure :)

For what its' worth, I was driving down the road in my van the other day, German Shepherd in passenger front seat, when a dog was crossing in front of us. Anyways, my dog lepted at the dash, paws on top, and threw the vehicle into reverse where it stalled immediately. I sure am glad I don't have anything nice :D Didn't break anything either.

blackhawk
08-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Yeah, 60mph to reverse isn't good!

That's not a bad price. Is the heavy duty gears part of the "shift upgrade kit"? I had that installed on mine and it included the heavy duty gears.

FASTEDDIE
08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
My bill was $3100.00 American. No problems since !

thriller
08-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah, 60mph to reverse isn't good!

That's not a bad price. Is the heavy duty gears part of the "shift upgrade kit"? I had that installed on mine and it included the heavy duty gears.
Yes, The HD Gears are part of the cost of the rebuild as well as the lower three gears/seal/thrust bearing.

Hope to sea trial this week...

Mike

blackhawk
08-10-2004, 10:13 AM
What I am saying is are they just installing the heavy duty gears in or are they installing the whole "shift upgrade kit"? I have no idea if the parts are the same but when I had mine done it came as a kit with one part number that included all the gears, bearings, shafts, yoke, cam, etc, etc.

thriller
08-10-2004, 10:31 AM
What I am saying is are they just installing the heavy duty gears in or are they installing the whole "shift upgrade kit"? I have no idea if the parts are the same but when I had mine done it came as a kit with one part number that included all the gears, bearings, shafts, yoke, cam, etc, etc.
Mercury Part number 27-32 $1600 bones includes Upper gears/shims/seals no shift kit as far as I know? If mine needed it my mech would of put it in. I had only 40 hrs on the drive when I threw it in Reverse:banghead:

Lenny
08-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Is it working yet Mike? I heard some "noisy boats" on the weekend at Piers Island but couldn't "focus" on what they were. (far away)

As far as mine goes, scheduled for transport but not yet with a confirmed pick-up date...Seemed so easy at first, now, after accepting the quote for transport, I have to wait for an agent to have a load coming this way and go get it. :rolleyes:
I don't understand how they can quote you, send you a binding contract, I sign and agree with it all, and now have to wait till "whenever" that it suits them??? :confused: