PDA

View Full Version : cutting exhaust holes for 4" exhausttips

Moody Blu'
07-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Ok, I got my polished stainless exhaust tips from ups today. Soon I will have my exhaust so its time to find out what to do about the tips. My 3" original tips holes are right next/below to the beefed up part of the transom for the drive.

My question is Should I still raise them 1" and cut into the beefed up part of the transom so the tips are higher? Or is that a no no??

Murphy
07-21-2004, 09:35 PM
I just did this, but it sounds like your exhaust outlets are low on the transom whereas mine are up fairly high. On my 22, the existing holes were already cut about 1" into the thick part of the transom on each side. So I don't think cutting into the thicker material will hurt anything. Just make sure you reseal the wood and use 3M marine caulk inside and out. I'd install the new exhaust and eyeball the angle to the riser through the old 3" hole. A 1" change in location shouldn't present a problem. Regardless, use the riser angle as a guide. Wet hose will bend just a bit, but if the opening at the transom isn't pretty close to where the riser is pointing you may end up with a poor hose fit at the riser end.

Murph

Moody Blu'
07-21-2004, 10:17 PM
err, you might want to mount the new exhaust before cutting any new holes for the tips..
Scott dont be silly, of course im waiting. :jestera:

murph, I will do what you say about the sealing.Perhaps I will raise them 1" as long as everything will line up with them up 1" ;)

The adaptor pipes on the exhaust will be fairly long so i will have a fair amount of play to get them to line up. I'd say about 9-10" long adaptor pipes.

Greg
07-22-2004, 05:10 PM
I just ditched my 3" exhaust for a GLM 4". After having a bad experience with a hole saw drilling holes in the floor of my kitchen for water pipe. I decided to go with the sawszall method. To say the least, it was difficult. Even going very slow the blade wanted to curve and not cut straight. A friend has a sabre saw that takes the hardened steel blades, that would have worked better. Right after I cut the holes there was a reply on this board about using a 3" hole saw mounted forward as a guide and then using the 4" to cut the new hole. Had I read that post first, I think I would have tried that. Good Luck. p.s. The GLM's sound, look and work great!

Murphy
07-22-2004, 08:29 PM
I went with a hole saw. You can buy a good 4" hole saw and arbor at Home Depot for $20. It will cut clean. If you decide to cut directly over the 3" hole you can mount both a 3" and 4" hole saw on the same arbor. The 3" saw will guide the 4" right in. Better have a healthy drill to spin them with though. If you want to change the hole location slightly, cut a plug to go in the old 3" hole. Insert it flush with the transom and wedge it in there good. Then, you'll have something for the guide drill to center on. Start at a low RPM until the saw cuts the hole outline. Once the hole saw cuts into the transom 1/4" the plug can be removed and you just keep going. PS... remember to pull stuff inside the boat well out of the way. Sounds like a no brainer, but a hole saw would trash a throttle cable or electrical bundle in about 2 seconds.

Murph