PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Missile Trivia

Fish boy
07-21-2004, 02:25 PM
I am sure some of you already knew this, but since I just found out, perhapas there are others who did not know this as well.

In the Early 70's Don Arronow sold the Magnum Missle molds to Randy Rabe, the builder of Rabco Boats. Randy built them for several years under the name "Rabco Hustler". Stopped building them after a few owners got hurt in blow overs. I am not sure what happened to the molds after that but if any one really wants to know, I could make a call and find out.

Fish

Bigbroadjumper
07-21-2004, 04:25 PM
I read a post on Scream and Fly that they cut them up after so many people got hurt.

I was in a classic boat show over the weekend here in Rockford and one of the boats there was a Power Cat. He had a photo taken at Miami Marine Stadium that showed a Power Cat racing and a Magnum blowing over.

Formula Jr
07-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Tunnel hulls are not good boats for inexperienced pilots. I use "Pilots" here for a reason. In the wrong hands they are just plane dangerious. I labor this point, but I'll say it again since this is a boat I truely lust over, and that is of the big three that were available, The Magnum, The Calson and The DUO (The Potter Formula group), the DUO is the cleanest design and best copy of the Italian Molinari. The Magnum is too heavy and the Calson is built like a freaken race boat- there's places on the deck so thin you need "No Step" stickers. The DUOs must be rare boats though, since I've only seen one in person, 30 years ago, and only seen one for sale on the internet in seven years. Maybe theres only two or three left that have'nt flipped over?:eek!:

Cuda
07-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Did you see Brownie's restored Missle?

Fish boy
07-21-2004, 06:50 PM
I read a post on Scream and Fly that they cut them up after so many people got hurt.

I was in a classic boat show over the weekend here in Rockford and one of the boats there was a Power Cat. He had a photo taken at Miami Marine Stadium that showed a Power Cat racing and a Magnum blowing over.

Look familiar?

Fish boy
07-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Tunnel hulls are not good boats for inexperienced pilots. I use "Pilots" here for a reason. In the wrong hands they are just plane dangerious. I labor this point, but I'll say it again since this is a boat I truely lust over, and that is of the big three that were available, The Magnum, The Calson and The DUO (The Potter Formula group), the DUO is the cleanest design and best copy of the Italian Molinari. The Magnum is too heavy and the Calson is built like a freaken race boat- there's places on the deck so thin you need "No Step" stickers. The DUOs must be rare boats though, since I've only seen one in person, 30 years ago, and only seen one for sale on the internet in seven years. Maybe theres only two or three left that have'nt flipped over?:eek!:

FJr,
my dad actually used to race in the late 60's and early 70's and was nationla champion in 72' in U class (now F1) piloting a molonari. Here is a picture of the bottom of the molonari. I agree, tunnels are not for the inexperienced- even the experienced pilots push too hard sometimes and they are not very forgiving.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4727

Bigbroadjumper
07-21-2004, 08:25 PM
That's the one!

Lenny
07-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Fishboy, can you repost the pic link. I really want to see it.. :)

Or email it to me... highlnd@telus.net

Fish boy
07-22-2004, 06:00 AM
lenny,
Weird, I can see the pic of the molonari but it is not in my user CP. I had a hard time uplaoding last night and had to go through my user CP and do it the old fashioned way. JUst tried again and got this message:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

here is the link to the magnum and I emaild you the molonari and the magnum pics. I will check back later and see if the upload function is back.

Magnum (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4726)

fish

rayjay
07-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Look familiar?

No wonder it blew over, probably just pivoted around the mass of those twin engines (ha). That must have been a hell of a lot of rear weight bias for a 16' boat.

rayjay