PDA

View Full Version : Gps

notdaddys
07-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Hey guys,

I am going to invest in a GPS, now I need advice on what to get. Now, i'm a student and can't afford anything too fancy. I don't really need anything too fancy anyway, so far i pretty much just tool around the middle channel and go back and forth from muskamoot to the DNR at South River on St. Clair. But decided its about time i get one. I'm hoping to have it in time for the M.A.D.C.O.W. gathering. Which I am looking forward to!! Oh, for some stupid reason, i can't upload pics that i took at Muskamoot with Ranman and olredalert. It always says time-out. So Randy, I have em on my computer, i just can't upload em. I will try again from work tomorrow, or maybe I can e-mail em to you and maybe you can have better luck posting.

Tami

Ranman
07-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Tami,

It's too bad cause I just sold my old GPS on Ebay for $88. I highly recommend you get a Garmin unit. If you do I can send you some route and waypoint info for LSC. If you get a GPS with the data cable, you can load the Germin Mapsource software to your PC, draw the route to say Muscamoot on the map and then download the data from the PC to the GPS. If you get Garmin I can help you with this. If not, you're on your own.

For units, I bought the new 276C. It is a kickass GPS, but runs $600+. A nice, nice chartplotter is $2000, so to me it's a middle of the road receiver. If your really on a budget, look at the GPSMAP 76 or 76C. The "C" is for "color". gpsdiscount.com is where I bought my unit and they by far had the best prices on the net (or anywhere for that matter) with fast shipping. I got my box in 2 days. Here's their prices

GPSMAP 276C - $599.00
GPSMAP 76C - $414.00
GPSMAP 76 - $248.00

The reason your pics are not loading is bacause they are too big. The Donzi.net server times out after a short period, so if a file is too big or you try to upload too many at once, it bombs out on you. Resize your pics to 640X480 using photoshop or paint shop pro and try to load them 1 or 2 at a time. Also, make sure you're saving them as .jpg's and not .tiff or .gif. f you're on cable, this should work fine, not sure what will happen if you still use dialup, but try it. If all else fails, email them to me at roak@directsourcing.com

notdaddys
07-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks Randy! I am probably going to get the 76 or 76C. Now does the color really make that big of a difference? I noticed that it has a lot more memory, but i don't think i'm going to be needing it that much. I'm thinking just get the cheap one for now, and maybe invest in a really nice one when I buy a bigger and better donzi. Thanks for your input!

Tami

Ranman
07-22-2004, 07:19 AM
For whaty you're doing, the color is prolly not that big a deal. Just get something that works. :smile: