PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 18ft. classic 1976

Donzi Racer
07-20-2004, 12:39 AM
This is my first post, so be gentle if I mess it up. I have been looking at this site for the last few days and have decided to list my 18 foot donzi in this forum since I do not have the experience, time, or $ to keep it the way that I would like. I am the 3rd owner and have it's complete history. I have owned it for over 10 years and although I have had 3 other very rare Donzi's, I always thought this was an 18 ft. 2 + 3 but after researching this site for the last few days, we may have a 1976 X instead. I guess the windshield threw me. Well anyway we are seriously looking for a good home for Rose's Thorn and someone that can get her gleaming and keep her that way. Everthing is there with the exception of the shifter knob and the interior seats. Driver is there but it needs to be replaced.The Volvo drive has been redone a few years back and was good when we pulled it last year, as was the gas tank. Options include windshield, trim tabs, stainless Prop. Trailer is useable but would need a good overhaul. The engine was built a few years back and is running between 350 to 400 horses with lots and lots of torque. Paint is passable but would be better with some attention. Hull is solid. We have run this classic up and down the tennesee river for 10 years in north alabama. Am more interested in a good home for the boat than the final price but will ask $7,500 and ya'll help me be sure to be more than fair on it. The boat definately needs some TLC, but she is quite a looker in and out of the water. Hopefully the pics will come out in this post. Let me know what you think guys, Tom 256-777-0844 0r 321-446-9474

1996Z15
07-20-2004, 06:34 AM
Tom you are correct in your suspicion that you have an X-18. I must say that I have never seen one with a windshield though.
Nice boat, good luck with the sale

Donzi Racer
07-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks so much. I definately am a bit amazed or embarassed that after having this boat for over 10 years, that I didn't know what model I had. My grandfather ordered one of the few 14ft. Baby's in 1967 and drove down to miami to pick it up. I learned how to ski and drive a boat with that donzi. I also owned a 1971 outboard and a 1987 Minx SE. By the way ran into John Chishom years back at a resort in Alabama and he said the Minx was named after his dog. Although the dog was a male, he said Minx meant Wanton Woman! I noticed that under the models section, the Minx doesn't have a designer listed. From what he said it must have been designed while he and his brother were still at the helm. Thanks for the good words, Tom

Emmo
08-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Could this boat be entitled "Classique Nutte"? When I was at Birmingham-Southern College in the '70's, a guy named Jerry Narramore had a boat that looked just like yours, including the windshield. He had a matching Corvette and I could drool over it from my dorm room. Jerry was Sports Information Director and lived in the faculty apartment. He was reputed to be a friend of the Allison Brothers (Bobby and Donnie) and had replaced the 351 Ford with a SBC. The windshield had an Allison Brothers Racing sticker on it. Last I saw it was in about 1984 in downtown Birmingham on consignment at Roberts Sporting Goods. Jerry's boat was the first Donzi I had ever seen or heard about and it hooked me for life!

Jerry Eisele
08-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Had a friend in Cincinnati that had the same windshield on his 18'

Donzi Racer
08-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Well Rose's Thorn is staying in alabama. She is headed south. She sold today to a great 1st time Donzi owner. As a matter of fact he has never had a ride in one. He will be meeting us in eaufala next weekend and hopefully I can get him a ride or two in a Donzi where he will know what to look foward to.
This Donzi did come from a teacher from Birmingham. This one was ordered with 2 other 18ft Donzis at the same time. The donzi you remember may be one of the other 2. when we got this one it did have a new gm engine. thanks for all the good words, Tom