PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know hi-tek Marine in australia?

Moody Blu'
07-19-2004, 08:34 PM
I posted this in a thread but I think it will get mroe coverage if i made it a thread. I really need to know if anyone has done buisness with HI-Tek Marine out of australia. Allen the owner sounds respectable, You never know though. So far all i have heard is things that he has said rebuttled form someone else. On wednesday I am wiring him the full amount for the stainless exhaust system he is building me for my 351w.I need to if knows if he legit or not.If merc ordered a bunch of exhaust from him wouldnt someone over there know?

I will be the first 18' donzi classic he will be building the Stainless headers for. They are based off of the indmar style exhaust which at the top point of the headers has a 25 degree downward bend.we are going through the process of figuring out what length/bend adaptor pipes will be needed for the ford setup, It seems like its going to be a fairly simple adaptor pipe. Perhaps a 10-40 degree bend from the end of the riser, Then a straight run to the tips. The 25 degree bend and 15-17 " of straight stainless pipe should keep reversion and back wash non exsistant. Once that is done (if this is all legit) then all you ford fellas can get a custom kit right out of the box.

First thing is to investigate, I will ask him if he has mercs #. I dont know if hell give me it but i will try. Ive never wired this amount of money and I am kind of nervous :stan: I would appreciate any help at all to make sure hes legit!

here is there website

http://www.hitekmarine.com.au/

I have to thank Morgans cloud for posting the topic with the link in it!!

MOP
07-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Broque get hold of Steve Morgans Cloud he bought from them, it sounds as if he has some rapport with he owner.

Phil

Ed Donnelly
07-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Their web site says they have distributors worldwide. Ask if thet have a distributor in the U.S. or Canada. I will check out any in Canada for you.....Ed

Moody Blu'
07-19-2004, 11:14 PM
well, I found a site in US
http://www.american-hi-tek.com David, owner seems to be the West coast distributor for them. It looks like i may become the east coast distributor for them. by the way there are larger pics on that site then the australian one.

I am still nervous though. anyone find anything else?

MOP
07-20-2004, 05:23 AM
Now that I have seen a better picture, I remember a set of these up on Ebay last winter. A few of us did not miss much when it came to exhaust, Murphy, myself and a few others beat Ebay to death. Not sure if any of us bought from up there.

Morgan's Cloud
07-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Broque ,

I ended up dealing with Allen direct through very unusual circumstances .... If he has told you a story about a guy in Fl. who was appointed the US distributor and then tried to copy the manifolds and tried to scew hi over it is absolutely true .. the same shyster tried to get me too.
When I got in contact directly with Allen there was'nt enough he could do to make things better.
AS a matter of fact Allen has done something else (on numerous occasions) that NO OTHER suppplier of parts/services I have seen do before. Despite being on the opposite side of the globe from me he called repeatedly at his own expense for information and to see how things were going. No one, even in the US.. just 700 miles away has had the decency to do that for me !

Going overseas for parts is probably a new experience for you but an everyday thing here :biggrin:

Steve

Moody Blu'
07-20-2004, 08:28 AM
thanks for responding bro, im going to wire the money today!

harbormaster
07-20-2004, 09:22 AM
I spoke with Allen about 4 days ago. Nice guy.

I also asked him for some larger photos but could not seem to get through to him that the pix on his site were way too small.

The feature that I like the most is the replaceable anode that is built into the exhaust system.

The hp gains are supposedly pretty good.

The only downside is the cost. For my 502's it was going to cost 1800 dollars per engine. Still cheaper than tube headers but way out of my price range.

Morgan's Cloud
07-20-2004, 10:28 AM
The prices that you guys are talking of really has me wondering... unless the exchange rate has gone south in the last year or so. Like I mentioned earlier I got a nice little break and still paid $2950 for a set for 502 in winter of 02/03 and that was before they left Australia !

Now this anode thing has me going ..... how does a sacrificial (zinc in my case) anode turn nasty in fresh water ....
should I drain my manifolds of fresh water after flushing ... where is that Brownie ... or MOP ? ?
S

Moody Blu'
07-20-2004, 08:46 PM
damn it i just erased everything i wrote :splat:

lets just say moeny is wired and fabrication has begun :banghead:

MOP
07-20-2004, 09:43 PM
GeeeZuuss Broque now you have gone and done it! :shocking:

ALLAN BROWN
07-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Little known fact: Stainless Marine was formed 25 years ago to build stainless manifolds and risers. Turned out to be a really BAD idea. Fabricated stainless steel products that are subjected to 1400 to 1500 degrees F. (the temperature of the exhaust gasses exiting the cylinder head ports) do a little dance called "Hot cold hot cold hot cold...BREAK" Stainless is OK for risers, which only see 500-800F. In addition, there are many grades of stainless steel, some good, some bad. You can't tell by looking. Jake Gilbreath built a "tanked header" manifold 20 years ago, and gave it up. I am not casting aspersions about anyone's products. I am just saying that the previous generation tried out a bunch of things that are now considered "breakthroughs".

Moody Blu'
07-21-2004, 08:12 AM
yes allen your right, its because they were using 316 stainless

which is of a tighter molecular structure and in this case more pronbe to cracking.

CMI which makes the 5000 headers uses the 316l so yes they will crack.

Hi tek uses 304 which isnt as likey since the molecular structure is a bt looser. there exhaust comes with a 3 year waranty.

Allan, I need you opinion on one thing, would the indmar style exhaust or the merc style exhaust work better on a 18' 1971 h/m donzi? could you look at hi teks site and check out the pics? any help at all i would appreciate from you guru!

rayjay
07-21-2004, 08:13 AM
...I am just saying that the previous generation tried out a bunch of things that are now considered "breakthroughs".

Amen brother. Sometimes though, we tried things that showed promise but didn't get used because other technology was needed to make it work.

My favorite quote about racing was that new technology usually doesn't win races, races are usually won by old technology refined to the nth degree. Just have to remember "old" technology was "new" technology at some point before someone figured out what was needed to really make it work.

rayjay

Moody Blu'
07-21-2004, 10:27 PM
I hear you guys, I have faith. he has alot of his headers out on boats since 96 with no problems.

Allen called me today and told me hes going to use the PCM style exhaust. the indmar style has to long of a pipe and may be hard to line up with the tail pipes.The indmar, volvo and PCM have the same downward degree(25 degrees) difference is the length.

Oh yea also, he now offers a 5 YEAR WARANTY!! :party: