PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the Bottom of Things...

Murphy
07-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Been reading the post on hull waxes... here's my question:

Exactly how do other members get to the bottom? My 22 sits on a trailer and I'd like to be able to clean the part that sits under the bunks. I've thought of loading the trailer with the boat listing a few degrees one way or another, but it doesn't seem like a good, safe approach. I don't have facilities for hoisting. Right now I'm thinking using scuba gear. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Murph

Dr. Dan
07-19-2004, 05:57 PM
:smash: Murph...When Liz and I rebuilt our Trailer a couple years back...here's what I did to get to the bottom of the Hull.

Lower the Front of the Trailer as Low as Possible. Then put Block(Cinder) and 2 x's under the back outer side of the Hull.

Lift up the Front of the Trailer and you should have some clearence under the Hull and above the Bunks...I waxed with my Wheel and did it by hand otherwise......You can also go to the Center of the Keel up to where it is still flat(not rising to the Bow) and Block it up there...using a Jack....now the entiire boat is off the Trailer.

I used Jack Stands and alot of caution...but the Hull Never Moved...this works best on a Dry Flat surface like your Drive way. Buff your heart out...and then lower the sucker back down...not as cool as a Hoist....but I used this same Procedure to Pull the Trailer out from under the Hull Also....

And yes we pulled a couple of Feet...then Blocked/Jacked and kept this whole process going inbetween each Cross Member and Axle until it was Clear and just sitting in the Drive on Blocks at only the 3 Points described.....it looks procarious...but it is stable. As a guide I ran a String Line on the outside of each Wheel Wall...completely Parallel to the Wheels on the Tandem Axle Trailer...and this facilitated me getting it...reasonably close when I reloaded it.

For Waxing I just do the Lifting....I don't Pull the Whole Trailer...it's too much of a Pain in the Ass.

But it works fine for me and uses the Trailers Naturally Leverage to do all of the Hoisting....

Doc :smash:

GKricheldorf
07-19-2004, 06:04 PM
I was just looking at my boat this weekend trying to figure out how i was going to be able to do the same thing. I'm not sure if what the Doc describes can work for me. Nor do i completely have a picture in my head. My Z25 is pretty darn heavy. And the fact that i really can not do much heavy lifting with my back problems. So i just stood there scratching my head trying to come up with something :idea:

Dr. Dan
07-19-2004, 06:07 PM
:wavey: This will work for anything .....when the front is lowered I got like 3" of More Clearence in the Back.....the Transom will go up the far on my Rig.....once ya Block it out Tight........Then ya can go right to the Front Keel Centerline Jack.....Block it the Same and ya there!

:smash: Doc of Delirious Tremors.

MOP
07-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Rob just who did you catch checking your bottom? :D When I pulled the 16 of the bunks last fall it was pretty nice, I figured it got a decent rubbing off getting off and on the trailer. No one better check my 22 its got filler and magic marker all over it. Maybe I clean it off a little before it shows a 1000 Islands.

Phil