PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buy a donzi, need help!

FASTGIRL
07-19-2004, 02:27 PM
:smile:

Think about buying a speed boat between 18 and 22 feet long. I would like to get some info on donzi's and I heard this is the place to do it. What are the best years for the boat? And what is the biggest difference between the 18 and 22?

MOP
07-19-2004, 02:57 PM
:smile:

Think about buying a speed boat between 18 and 22 feet long. I would like to get some info on donzi's and I heard this is the place to do it. What are the best years for the boat? And what is the biggest difference between the 18 and 22?

The 18 is like a Farrari but can get a little bumpy when it gets rough, the 22 is like a high performance Caddy. All Donzi are good boats, it boils down to care, condition and options.

Phil

Donzi Di
07-19-2004, 03:12 PM
It is also going to depend on the hull of the boat. The 18' that we own has a sharp keel and can get very very bumpy in the water. The 16' that we own is much more rounded and not nearly as bumpy.

Are you looking for a brand new boat or an older classic??

TERRENCE
07-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the board!!
I believe that cigarette makes or made a 20 footer that looks similar.
good luck

Brad Lyon
07-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Fastgirl, if you want to see first hand how a Donzi rides and handles you should try to come to the outing on Lake St. Clair this weekend 7/23 to 7/26. There will be plenty of 16, 18 and 22 foot boats for you to take a ride on. Click on the following link to get all of the information.

Brad

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31902

baddassbaron
07-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Fastgirl

Detroit News has a 18.5 powerquest for sale. Cool little boat, says it does honest 65mpn, thats pretty good for that boat (pretty close to a Baron as well). Usually can get for a decent price, look at quick as it will be gone.

BUIZILLA
07-20-2004, 08:57 AM
How did we end up with a Baron troll, touting Powerquests, on a *I want to buy a Donzi* topic??

JH :uzi:

Dr. Dan
07-20-2004, 09:02 AM
:banghead: :bonk:

Cuda
07-20-2004, 09:47 AM
A Donzi between 18 and 22? The obvious answer is a Minx of course! ;)

TuxedoPk
07-20-2004, 09:50 AM
A Donzi between 18 and 22? The obvious answer is a Minx of course! ;)

or better yet, a GT :wink:

Ed Donnelly
07-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Or better yet,a Criterion.....Ed

Rootsy
07-20-2004, 11:35 AM
obviously she needs a bench seat hornet :D

Ed Donnelly
07-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Or better yet, hooks up with BUIZZILA and gets the Criterion,Minx, and, an 18 in one fell swoop....Ed

Cuda
07-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Or better yet, hooks up with BUIZZILA and gets the Criterion,Minx, and, an 18 in one fell swoop....Ed

Mrs Buizilla might have something to say about that! :eek:

Ed Donnelly
07-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Cuda,I said hook up, not break up....Ed

EricG
07-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Here's a recent Post that talked about the differences between the 2.

18 VS 22 Thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34359)

I recently sold my Z21 and bought an 18. (I know the 22 is a much different animal than the 18) but about the only thing I liked better about the 21 as the storage. The 18 is WAY more fun, it handle's and rides better, and you cannot beat the "WOW" factor whever you go. That's not to say the Z wasn't a great boat too...

I don't think you can really go wrong with a classic period. If you want a Donzi classic - buy one. Don't settle, I promise you that you will end up selling whatever you buy and buying one anyway... :biggrin:

Good luck.

EG

TuxedoPk
07-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Cuda, perhaps we should start our own 20 v. 21 thread

Ed, I was thinking Criterion also but judging by how many there were at AOTH vs. only one V-GT they are just too 'common' :D

Rootsy
07-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Personally, I'm waiting for Terrence to reply to this thread :rolleyes:

and i'm sure phillip isn't far behind either :rolleyes:

hkunz
07-21-2004, 12:40 AM
I also am looking at a Donzi, a 21 foot Medalion. What things should I be careful to look for?:convertib
Mike

harbormaster
07-21-2004, 06:43 AM
Donzi Chick,

My suggestion would be to buy the newest boat that you possibly afford. You want to drive it, not work on it.

In my opinion: Buy a 1995 or newer with mercruiser running gear. That way when you need parts you can go to a Merc dealer and give the engine#'s and make and they know what parts you need.

If you buy a "restored boat" sometimes you have no idea what all the previous owners have done to the boat.
This can complicate the equation. (of course that is what some of the folks here live for!)

There are deals out there if you gather up your cash and are ready to pounce on the good deal.

I also recommend a 22 if you can afford it. if not then an 18.
Much more room than a 16.

Ranman
07-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Donzi Chick,

My suggestion would be to buy the newest boat that you possibly afford. You want to drive it, not work on it.

In my opinion: Buy a 1995 or newer with mercruiser running gear. That way when you need parts you can go to a Merc dealer and give the engine#'s and make and they know what parts you need.

If you buy a "restored boat" sometimes you have no idea what all the previous owners have done to the boat.
This can complicate the equation. (of course that is what some of the folks here live for!)

There are deals out there if you gather up your cash and are ready to pounce on the good deal.

I also recommend a 22 if you can afford it. if not then an 18.
Much more room than a 16.

I agree with the HM 100%.

Come out to the MADCOW run if you get the chance. We'll be sure to save a seat for you.

boxy
07-21-2004, 04:41 PM
How did we end up with a Baron troll, touting Powerquests, on a *I want to buy a Donzi* topic??

JH :uzi:

Same way we ended up with a guy pushing Cigarette's.. :D

Formula Jr
07-21-2004, 05:03 PM
"All Donzi's are good boats." - Phil.

Umm, no, not all of them.
Case in point,

http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell654.jpg

An over priced Corp Boat. :D

The fastest way to answer this question is to go to an event. You will not only see and ride in all the boats, just ask for a ride - we're all really nice people, except for Phil, who is Mean Old Phil :) - and you'll also get to know, "The Family." No one that I know of, has ever bought an 18c or a 22c and said it was a mistake. Its a buyer's market right now. Any boat over 18 feet, you will be starting the expodential factor of boat ownership and care. Be aware of this. And some of us have gone back to smaller boats. Big boats are cool, but you loose some of the "play" involved unless you get into serious money, "Big Dog" horsepower and actively look for waves. There is something that I call the "Sing and Dance" factor with power boats. Its a difficult thing to describe but you know if your boat is capable of it when you can feel it; light, responsive and nimble like a feather over the water.

Brad Lyon
07-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Is that still for sale? My wife wants a bowrider.

Brad

Donzi Racer
07-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Fast Girl, can describe the two very easily. When you buzz a multi million $ yacht in a 22 most of them wave back but when you do the same with a classic 18 then everyone gets up and goes from one railing to the other to watch you cruise by at an easy and smooth looking 60 MPH. Now if the water is rough you will not be able to lift your hand off the wheel long enough to wave.

I think all in all I believe I agree with Cuda and say get the 20ft Minx. that's kind of like a ferrari with an automatic instead of a stick. Fun rocket when you want it to be, but a great rough water cruiser when going out for dinner or going from point A to point B.
Either way don't know of many purchases in life that can give you that kind of bang for the 10k to 20k buck.
And definately go to an event to see and try these wonders of the boating world out, but a warning would definately be in order. If you go thinking of buying one you will quickley become addicted and will come home having serious withdrawal symtoms that can only be alleviated by rushing out and buying a Donzi. Tom

Fish boy
07-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Hi FastGirl, welcome to the registry. :)

There is an awful lot of good advice above, and a few of the people have several donzis which gives a pretty good perspective.

Just curious, what sort of water are you going to run in (rough/choppy, or relatively calm). Is this your first boat, or have you driven sport boats before? The reason I ask is the 22 is a little more forgiving and a little better in rough water. The 18 does have a wow factor but takes a little more driving. Don't get me wrong, both are easy boats to drive, but the experience and the conditions could be a factor in which might be the best boat. Also, are you looking for new/used/either?

Having said that, I would like to reiterate the advice to come to a gathering. Really nice, people and anyone/everyone is welcome. You will not get a better opportunity to see a lot of different boats, years, color schemes, and more importantly get to talk to owners rather than sales people about the pros and cons of their boats.

Good luck, and we are here if you need us in your boat search. Ask away, there is no greater collective donzi knowledge place anywhere. Some even know a few things about some other boats too.

Fish

Donzigo
07-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Good advice from one & all.

Fish always brings balance to it........he's giving you the straight scoop, too.