PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 1 trim question

1996Z15
07-18-2004, 09:05 AM
I have someone coming by tomorrow morning to take the Minx to be repaired. The drive is in the down position and I want to move it up to the Trailer position.
I threw a battery in the boat today and tried to lift the drive but nothing happened. Does the engine need to be running or do you think that the battery just didn't have enough juice?
I have the battery on the charger now but, in case this doesn't work, is there a manual method for raising the outdrive?

marcdups
07-18-2004, 09:28 AM
There is amanual method but it is not clean, which means disconnecting the lines and rasing it bu hand, lots of fluid in the bilge, you could swap the power on the solenoids, swap the green and blue wires and it should go up if the down solenoid is still working.
Do you have power at the trim pump???

1996Z15
07-18-2004, 09:35 AM
I don't know about having power at the trim pump. How would I check that? Everything worked fine last year; I am hoping that it is just a weak battery.
The manual process sounds too messy to screw with; I don't want to be getting all kinds of grease and fluid all over the bilge if I can help it.

marcdups
07-18-2004, 09:43 AM
there is a fuse link on your trim pump with a cap over it, it should have 12 + volts on it, if it works going down then you have power, just switch the green and blue wires and it should go up, and then replace the solenoid, if they do not do anything then you have to figure out if it is the fuse link or your trim switch.

Are you making sure you are using the trailer switch?? :rolleyes: :biggrin.: :rolleyes:

pmreed
07-18-2004, 09:46 AM
No the motor doesn't need to be running. If you've got somebody knowledgeable coming over to pick it up, he can probably check out the electrical side in about 10 minutes.

It's really messy, but as a last resort, and if you really have to move it, you can always pull the hydraulic hoses off the rams and then just lift it up. I was stuck at a ramp once with my old Reinell, and that was the only way I could get the **%$ing drive up so I could go home. No oil in the bilge that way, but use a bucket. You'll be spurting oil as you lift it. Tie it up and reassemble the hoses to keep the hydraulic system clean. Otherwise you've got to tie on baggies everywhere. (The Reinell problem turned out to be a bad solenoid).

Phil

Cuda
07-18-2004, 11:35 AM
It is probably the switch. The one in my Minx wouldn't go down with the button. You can pull the switch out, and jump the bottom two connections together with a screwdriver to make it go down, or the top two to make it go up. Once you have it out, the switch comes apart. Take some emery cloth and clean up the copper contacts. I'm willing to bet that's what the problem is.

MOP
07-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Do it like we do it in the yard, pull the trim pin lift and tie the drive up to ski hook or lifting ring (use heavy line) in place along with the rams no need to do a bunch of screwing around

1996Z15
07-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Well, I feel like an idiot for bothering you guys with this one. It turns out that the battery was too weak to lift the drive. I threw it on the charger and once it was fully charged the drive came all the way up using the trailer switch.
It's comforting to know that we have so many knowledgeable people on the board who are willing to offer advice though.

Thanks for everyone's help; I apologize for bothering you all with such an easy problem.

Now to get the boat fixed and sold.......stay tuned.

MOP
07-18-2004, 04:59 PM
It has been said here and many other places! The only dumb question is the one that is not asked! I never feel bad asking even if it is a dumb one.

Phil

mikev
07-19-2004, 12:36 PM
It has been said here and many other places! The only dumb question is the one that is not asked! I never feel bad asking even if it is a dumb one.

Phil
I agree if it wasnt for dumb questions I wouldn't have anything to ask. :biggrin.: :biggrin.: