PDA

View Full Version : Nice side trip yesterday

Cuda
07-17-2004, 12:38 PM
I took off yesterday to go search for suitable boat launches on the salt water near me. I got lost (of course I didn't take a map, that would be too easy), and finally ended up on the beach at the Altantic. I headed south figuring I'd find Ponce Inlet. I came to a gate that said National Seashore, so I paid five bucks and went in. I still thought I was near Ponce Inlet. I stopped at a boat launch and asked a guy that was pulling his boat out how much farther south Ponce was. He gave me a funny look and told me that Ponce was 20+ miles north of where we were. :rolleyes:

Cuda
07-17-2004, 12:41 PM
It seems I had wandered into the Canaveral National Seashore Park. It was beautiful there. From where I stood, you couldn't see a condo in any direction. For those of you in Florida, you know how rare a sight that is on the beach.

Cuda
07-17-2004, 12:43 PM
The Atlantic was as calm as I've ever seen it.

Cuda
07-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Looking back towards the mainland. This looks like a good place to chase snook, reds, and trout. :)

Cuda
07-17-2004, 12:46 PM
I did finally find the boat launch at the Port Orange Bridge. It didn't look that impressive to me, but I know other guys that launch 38 footers there, so I guess it will work for the Formula.

mikev
07-17-2004, 02:38 PM
It seems I had wandered into the Canaveral National Seashore Park. It was beautiful there. From where I stood, you couldn't see a condo in any direction. For those of you in Florida, you know how rare a sight that is on the beach.

I would love to put the boat in there and go out to watch a launch from the Kennedy Space Center that would be an awsome site. A night launch would be even mare spectacular I bet.

gcarter
07-17-2004, 02:40 PM
There's a restaurant on the 27th floor of a building about 10 miles north of the inlet. At this time of the year it looks flat as far as you can see. It ought to be very easy to travel outside to San Augustine, or the Cape.

George

harbormaster
07-19-2004, 05:19 AM
On my trips to Cape Canaveral I would pick up a sandwich at the NASA cafateria and go eat it on the beach. It was really beautiful.

Is the ramp you found, near Titusville? I recall seeing some nice boat ramps there.

Sport
07-19-2004, 01:28 PM
If I came across a beach that was that empty I would probably run around bare as naked !

Sport

gcarter
07-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Scot, it's been years since I've been to the spot described by Cuda, but that area is still about 20 miles North of the Shuttle launch area. This park is closed during launches, I think. And the ramp he saw the guy using was probably at the Haulover Canal. Another landmark there is Turtle Mound, if I remember correctly is an old Indian dump ground.

Cuda
07-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Is the ramp you found, near Titusville? I recall seeing some nice boat ramps there.

The first one is in the National Seashore, south of New Smyrna Beach, the second is at the foot of the Port Orange Bridge.

Cuda
07-19-2004, 09:35 PM
If I came across a beach that was that empty I would probably run around bare as naked !

Sport

There is a beach farther south in the same area for that. Playalinda Beach. My brother and I stumbled across it one time when we were surf fishing over there. It was cold as hell, and still people were out there nekkid! :eek:

Cuda
07-19-2004, 09:37 PM

Sport

Sport, you don't have to go that far. Get out a chart and look for Passage Key at the mouth of Tampa Bay. ;)