PDA

View Full Version : Found the leak

Cuda
07-17-2004, 12:27 PM
I went out today with the hose again to find the leak in the transom area. We found it. I'm not sure what it is, or how to fix it. You can see a couple wires running through this hole. It looks like it had been sealed with silicone at some point. Does anyone know how it's supposed to seal?

I don't know if you can see from the pictures, but it's inside that hole. It's on the starboard side, just to the left of the bottom bolt.

MOP
07-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Not being sure of what I am looking at, I do have one little bit of advice to keep in mind when sealing it. Seal it only from the outside if the wires did go through the wood of the transom. Reason it will allow the wood to dry and not trap the moisture inside. If it is just through the transom shield, metal inside and out then clean it really well and force RTV through leaving a small mound on each end.

Phil

gcarter
07-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Joe, My gimbal housing is sitting on the bench, so it was easy to look at it. This hole and the matching one on the port, do nothing but drain the water out of the exhaust if your running the exhaust that way. There should be no wires through this hole or the other one. Maybe someone tried to replace the trim switches by taking a shortcut.
I'm really surprised at this outcome. :confused:
I posted this morning the exhaust block plate is usually sealed with an O-ring and RTV sealer. Maybe you should look at the block plate again and look for wires coming through somewhere.
George

gero1
07-17-2004, 02:46 PM
i got no idea what the h that is but thats a damn good picture of something. have"nt found my leak yet, justa wondering ifn i done got me one of them there things like whats in the picture???

gcarter
07-17-2004, 02:51 PM
The exhaust Y pipe bolts to the bottom, inside of the gimbal housing. The opening on the forward side is considerably larger than the oriface for the exhaust bellows. This "pocket": has to be drained. That's what these holes are for. Without them, water and unburned fuel, pretty corrosive stuff, would stay there. :bawling:

George :yes:
Someone has already mentioned it, but that bottom bolt is one of the anode bolts. They have a seal where it passes through the gimbal housing. If that rubber seal fails, it WILL leak.